Shift Cable Bushing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I own an 2008 Dodge Avenger R/T 3.5L 6-Speed Auto that needs a Shift Cable Bushing at the transmission. Dodge does not sell the bushing separate, only as an assembly for ~100 bucks delivered. I would like to avoid having to do the whole Cable if possible and just do the Bushing.

So the question have is does anyone have experience with this situation either Dodge specific or other? I see Dorman has some generic options but non are a direct fit and I don't want to spend 20 bucks trying and finding a few out To find that none will work.

Any info is much appreciated.

Thank You

I doubt the bushings you will find in the HELP! aisle at the parts store will get you very far. Those are usually for much older cars, though maybe you will luck out. I am not familiar with Chrysler shift cables.

We sell a lot of Trailblazer cables at work. The HELP! bushings at the parts store aren't even close.

If it's the labor you want to avoid, I guess you could try working the bushing out of the new cable, but if you mess it up, that's $100 down the drain.

I'd try the aftermarket bushings and see how they work. I couldn't imagine something as simple as a shifter bushing could be hard to reproduce. I have aftermarket bronze shifter bushings in my car that I bought to replace the oem plastic ones.

If these are the same thing I'm thinking of, I bought aftermarket bushings for my 95 Neon back in the day. They worked great. I sold the car before they ever gave me any problems. I think I got them on eBay very cheap.
laugh.gif

I'm going to take some measurements and see if any of the aftermarket ones will work. My other option is that the end of the cable in which the bushing goes into might be removable so that if I buy a new cable, I can just swap the ends.

I'll also check Ebay and etc... to see if I can find other options other then Dorman HELP ones.

I saw online it's a popular problem. If you cannot match up a replacement one I saw where a guy just removed the pivot ball stud part and replaced it with a bolt, nut and washer to hold it all together.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back