Shell Spirax S4 G. 75w-90 GL-4/ VW 501.50 in USA?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty amusing that when I use Shell's own "LubeMatch" site

Here...

Golf 2.0 GL, GLS (G) (1999-1999)

Application Recommendation Capacity (gal) Data Sheets
Engine (G) Premium Pennzoil Ultra Euro 5W-40 Full Synthetic Motor Oil (c) 1.19 TDS MSDS
Standard Pennzoil PennzoilFullSynEurFmUlt5W30 TDS MSDS
Manual Transmission Pennzoil Synthetic 75W-90 (GL-4) 0.53 TDS MSDS
Automatic Transmission Premium Spirax S5 ATF X 0.92 (a) TDS MSDS
Standard Pennzoil Synthetic Multi Vehicle ATF TDS MSDS
Differential From Gearbox
Coolant ShellZone Multi-Vehicle Antifreeze/Coolant 50/50 (b) 1.45 TDS MSDS
Auto Transmission Models, Front Differential Dealer Only
Brake Fluid Pennzoil Brake Fluid DOT 4/3 TDS MSDS
Power Steering Dealer Only

Notice how it clearly mentions GL-4 spec gear oil. But as far as I can tell SOPUS has no such gear oil on offer in the USA as of now. Only thing that meets the specs is Shell's own
Spirax S4 G 75w-90 GL-4 that is available in all of Europe.

I'm going to call SOPUS and ask them where I can get this stuff in the USA. Or at least they need to update their lubematch to indicate that the application they mention is NLA in the USA. LOL

I don't think I've ever seen Spirax on the shelves.

On to my recommendation. Red Line MT-90. Amazon has it.

Many VAG manual transmissions use Castrol TAF-X as factory fill, FWIW. It's an excellent fluid -- but only available at dealers for a lot of money.

Is there a reason you want the VW-approved fluid? My old S4 required a 75w90 GL4, and I opted for Motul Gear 300.

I have seen Shell Spirax S4 TXM in 5 gallon buckets at (believe it or not) Wal-Mart. I purchased one for the rear axle on my Kawasaki Brute Force 750i. I understand this is not the same oil that you are looking for, I just wanted to point out that I have seen (at least one version of) Shell Spirax S4 in the US.

My guess is that certain western European regions use
the Shell Spirax S4 G as factory fill in a number of VW products. It is RARE to see an aftermarket oil with a VW endorsement like this one has, it is right on the label, VW501.50.

I'm going to call Shell Executive Offices directly and ask about a distributor in the US that sells it.

The reason why I think it is offered in the USA is because I found a OSHA, and MSDS sheet for it that I linked to above. those sheets wouldn't exist IF the product was not distributed for sale here.

I'm also speculating that since VW has a plant in Chattanooga ,TN which produces the Passat CC that they use it in certain versions with manual gear boxes that are for sale outside of the USA.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
I have seen Shell Spirax S4 TXM in 5 gallon buckets at (believe it or not) Wal-Mart.

Sometimes, that's the way it goes. If something has a more obscure specification attached to it or is a real niche product, it may only be available in giant containers, such that a shop would use.

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
I've actually had Spirax GL-5 gear oil, but obviously this is NOT for manual gearboxes.

NEVER seen the GL-4 stuff on a shelf, or otherwise.

It's really interesting from a marketing aspect because I know there are still plenty of GL-4 specific applications here in the USA. These companies like Shell and Castrol are huge and could EASILY ship some quantities of this product over with their more popular commercial products on the same ship. So the transport costs would be almost zero.

I was wondering if there is an EPA environmental aspect of this puzzle? But I'm pretty sure that there is MORE active chemistry in GL-5 as opposed to GL-4.

Last edited:
It's not so much the supplier's fault as it is the retailer's fault for not ordering and stocking up these fluids. I for one am in the market for GL-4 75W-90 and my only low quantity options are Redline MT-90 or CRC Sta-Lube 85W-90 through Amazon w/ free shipping. There are other options but I don't plan on opening up a shop to buy in drums and tubs.

I think the retailer's reluctance to stock them is ignorance of GL-4 vs GL-5 differences, and lack of perceived future demand as manual trannies fade into the sunset. It's sad because I still prefer a manual transmission over DSG's or anything that has no 3rd pedal.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: gregoron
It's not so much the supplier's fault as it is the retailer's fault for not ordering and stocking up these fluids. I for one am in the market for GL-4 75W-90 and my only low quantity options are Redline MT-90 or CRC Sta-Lube 85W-90 through Amazon w/ free shipping. There are other options but I don't plan on opening up a shop to buy in drums and tubs.

I think the retailer's reluctance to stock them is ignorance of GL-4 vs GL-5 differences, and lack of perceived future demand as manual trannies fade into the sunset. It's sad because I still prefer a manual transmission over DSG's or anything that has no 3rd pedal.

You could get some Amsoil 75w90 GL-4 from one of the approved distributors on this board.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back