Amazon Global Store has Castrol Syntrans gear oils for manual transmissions, so they are finally available in USA

If you have a manual transmission and are looking for a dedicated MTF, you know they are impossible to find in the US! This has also been my biggest fear of buying a non-Honda manual transmission since I found out that you can't/shouldn't use GL5 in them.

Some manual transmissions can use ATF, and Hondas can use motor oil, but everyone else is out of luck when looking for a suitable MTF. The Pennzoil and Valvoline Synchromesh products are really only suitable for the exceptions I mentioned (Hondas using motor oil, and cars where ATF is spec'd). They are too thin for most other manuals.

GL5 gear oils, the ones that stores actually carry, is not for use in most transmissions.

Napa carries Liqui-Moly #20012, but some people don't like LM, and not all Napas stock it (but they should be able to get it upon request). Castrol is a more reputable brand that people like.

I ordered a bottle of cheap UltraLub 75w90 GL-4, but it has not arrived yet. I will send it out for a VOA when I receive it.

Supposedly, Pennzoil makes a 75w90 GL4, but it isn't available in US stores even though Pennzoil/SOPUS says it is. Napa has it in Canada, but not the US. Sometimes you see it on eBay for $20-30/qt

Castrol does not sell their Syntrans line of manual transmission fluids in the US, but thanks to the Amazon Global store, they are finally available to US customers. The Amazon Global Store has the following Castrol Syntrans in stock:
Castrol Syntrans V FE 75w80 (Group C on MolaKule's list)
Castrol Syntrans Multivehicle 75w90 (Group G)
Castrol Syntrans Transaxle 75w90 (also Group G)

What dedicated MTF do you like to use in your manual transmission calling for 75w90 GL4? I don't have a manual transmission, but knowing Amazon has Castrol MTF from the Global Store certainly helps a lot. The Ultra Lub might be good pending the VOA.

Paying more for shipping than the cost per liter, I'll stick with Redline.
That's only if you buy one bottle, but you're going to buy more than one at a time. You can't see that until you go to the cart and check out (but you will see it before you actually buy it and pay for it)

I've got Redline MT90 in my Mazda and its doing just fine. I bought mine on ebay or amazon. I'm by no means a boutique oil type, but it seemed like the right choice for a rarely changed fluid with an unusual spec.

Last edited:
What dedicated MTF do you like to use in your manual transmission calling for 75w90 GL4?

In my old muscle cars I generally use StaLube: https://www.crcindustries.com/products/api-gl-4-multi-purpose-gear-oil-85w90-32-fl-oz-SL24229.html

I have also used Redline MTL in old Muncies with no issues: https://www.redlineoil.com/mtl-75w80-gl-4-gear-oil

In my 2011 Shelby I used Redline D4 https://www.redlineoil.com/d4-atf , however I would have used Redline MTL LV had it been available at the time: https://www.redlineoil.com/mt-lv-70w75w

The transfer case in my Tacoma will also get the Redline MTL LV if I keep it long enough to require a change.

Pennzoil Synchromesh has been working great for my 5-speed Honda, and is always available at the nearest AutoZone for under $10/quart. Charlotte, NC. What part of USA are you in that it's so hard to find MTF?

I used to hunt down Redline or Amsoil or whatever for my ECHO, but the last two times I bought Honda MTF at the Honda dealer for about $6.50 a quart. I only need two quarts so the price is reasonable and it seems to work fine. YMMV.

Pennzoil Synchromesh has been working great for my 5-speed Honda, and is always available at the nearest AutoZone for under $10/quart. Charlotte, NC. What part of USA are you in that it's so hard to find MTF?

Yes, the parts stores sells Pennzoil and Valvoline Synchromesh, but they are not right for every car. You can use them on your Honda, like I said in the OP, but they might be too thin for other transmissions. Can you get a 75w90 GL4?

I used to hunt down Redline or Amsoil or whatever for my ECHO, but the last two times I bought Honda MTF at the Honda dealer for about $6.50 a quart. I only need two quarts so the price is reasonable and it seems to work fine. YMMV.

What does Toyota recommend for your Echo's manual transmission?

Honda MTF is of the correct viscosity for an Echo transmission? Those called for 75W-90 GL-4 or GL-5. Honda MTF is closer to a 75W-80 fluid.
Right, it says a 75W-90 is recommended but it doesn't say it's required. So far I haven't noticed any issues and it's probably been 125,000 miles or so out of the 285,0000 total on the vehicle.

Perhaps I just got soft in my old age and fell for the convenience of the Honda dealership near my office.

Last edited:
Right, it says a 75W-90 is recommended but it doesn't say it's required. So far I haven't noticed any issues and it's probably been 125,000 miles or so out of the 285,0000 total on the vehicle.

Perhaps I just got soft in my old age and fell for the convenience of the Honda dealership near my office.
I sometimes think OEM's use the word "recommended" instead of "required" in order to avoid the legal implications of the Magnusson Moss act.
But at your mileage, if the gearbox does not make abnormal noises and you are satisfied with the performance, I guess it doesn't matter?

I sometimes think OEM's use the word "recommended" instead of "required" in order to avoid the legal implications of the Magnusson Moss act.
But at your mileage, if the gearbox does not make abnormal noises and you are satisfied with the performance, I guess it doesn't matter?
You may be right, to be honest I didn’t even give the grade a thought. I just looked and saw Honda MTF and bought it assuming it would be appropriate.

If you have a manual transmission and are looking for a dedicated MTF, you know they are impossible to find in the US! This has also been my biggest fear of buying a non-Honda manual transmission since I found out that you can't/shouldn't use GL5 in them.

Some manual transmissions can use ATF, and Hondas can use motor oil, but everyone else is out of luck when looking for a suitable MTF. The Pennzoil and Valvoline Synchromesh products are really only suitable for the exceptions I mentioned (Hondas using motor oil, and cars where ATF is spec'd). They are too thin for most other manuals.

GL5 gear oils, the ones that stores actually carry, is not for use in most transmissions.

Napa carries Liqui-Moly #20012, but some people don't like LM, and not all Napas stock it (but they should be able to get it upon request). Castrol is a more reputable brand that people like.

I ordered a bottle of cheap UltraLub 75w90 GL-4, but it has not arrived yet. I will send it out for a VOA when I receive it.

Supposedly, Pennzoil makes a 75w90 GL4, but it isn't available in US stores even though Pennzoil/SOPUS says it is. Napa has it in Canada, but not the US. Sometimes you see it on eBay for $20-30/qt

Castrol does not sell their Syntrans line of manual transmission fluids in the US, but thanks to the Amazon Global store, they are finally available to US customers. The Amazon Global Store has the following Castrol Syntrans in stock:
Castrol Syntrans V FE 75w80 (Group C on MolaKule's list)
Castrol Syntrans Multivehicle 75w90 (Group G)
Castrol Syntrans Transaxle 75w90 (also Group G)

What dedicated MTF do you like to use in your manual transmission calling for 75w90 GL4? I don't have a manual transmission, but knowing Amazon has Castrol MTF from the Global Store certainly helps a lot. The Ultra Lub might be good pending the VOA.
In USA I CAN GET 75W90 GF4 For my old 98 Cabrio
Syncromesh 2 qts needed
75w90 by ultra1plus or Keysar.
Should I add Ford's _$10 friction modifier additive??

Back