Shell Rotella T4 15w-40 Now SN Rated

I only looked at 15w-40 T4, the change to SN was reported less than a week ago.
From the VOA's I've seen 10w-30 SN rated T4 is below 1000 ppm in both P and Zn.
I think what you are talking about is the Shell Rotella Ultra T5 10W-30 that is SN Rated. The Shell Rotella T4 10W-30 is not SN Rated at this time. I did call my local AAP and they did tell me that the 15W-40 T4 on there shelves has the SN Rating on the Jug.

I recently picked up a gallon jug of the Shell Rotella T4 10W-30 and a gallon jug of the Shell Rotella T5 10W-30 and neither jug has the SN Rating on the Jug.

API won't back license an oil. So all you can get now is SP. If you don't meet SP - no "shield"

1692658362682.jpg

Reference section in the certification

you compare two different products here.
That was my intention... (y)

I claimed

"Delo is great oil & has been dual rated but they really reduce the add pack in their 40 weights whereas a lot of other dual rated oils do not reduce it but still get SN rating."

Then I remembered that was not entirely true because Delo DID recently come out with their XSP 15w-40 that does meet Ford F1 spec (Higher add pack). Adding the XSP link was trying to be more factual than my earlier statement that Delo "Really reduce the add pack in their 40 weights".

I should have put an "EDIT:" then explained myself a bit better.

these types of oils are generally what it termed " All Fleet" oils... flkeets like to use stuff like this, because one thing for sure that happens in a large fleet is if 2 or more types of oils are used, somebody is going to use the wrong one. :) so they just settle on one and put it in all the holes. Mobil Delvac 1300also has the SN rating..

these types of oils are generally what it termed " All Fleet" oils... flkeets like to use stuff like this, because one thing for sure that happens in a large fleet is if 2 or more types of oils are used, somebody is going to use the wrong one. :) so they just settle on one and put it in all the holes. Mobil Delvac 1300also has the SN rating..
I appreciate what you posted, but I want my Diesel Oil to have a great add pack, I understand that Shell may play the game where they use a better base oil with less of an add pack. I have major concerns with this game that Shell is playing, I will be looking at the Diesel Oils from either Amsoil or HPL. At least both of those companies offer oils with Great Base Oils and Great Add Packs.

Before anyone says something about Amsoil, they do offer a Diesel oil that is SN Rated, unless my new magazine is wrong. They also offer a pure CK-4 speced oil that does not have the SN Rating. I want to have my Cake and eat it 2, I have a feeling that this new Dual rating CK-4 and SN will compromise the HTHS Number.

I appreciate what you posted, but I want my Diesel Oil to have a great add pack, I understand that Shell may play the game where they use a better base oil with less of an add pack. I have major concerns with this game that Shell is playing, I will be looking at the Diesel Oils from either Amsoil or HPL. At least both of those companies offer oils with Great Base Oils and Great Add Packs.

Before anyone says something about Amsoil, they do offer a Diesel oil that is SN Rated, unless my new magazine is wrong. They also offer a pure CK-4 speced oil that does not have the SN Rating. I want to have my Cake and eat it 2, I have a feeling that this new Dual rating CK-4 and SN will compromise the HTHS Number.
CK4 is CK4... then again, if the oil meets a variety of engine manufacturers specs as well as SN CK4 etc, I fail to see how an oil that only carries one approval is going to be superior, given the price or lack of market share but boutique approval. .

CK4 is CK4... then again, if the oil meets a variety of engine manufacturers specs as well as SN CK4 etc, I fail to see how an oil that only carries one approval is going to be superior, given the price or lack of market share but boutique approval. .
If it has SN listed it could have a weaker additive pack, like less Phos and Zinc, the only way to know for sure would be to get a VOA done on the Oil.

But the ‘SN’ isn’t in the circle on the back, just on the text…isn’t it ‘official’ if it’s in the circle, otherwise it’s just the blender saying it meets it w/o it being officially API certified??

But the ‘SN’ isn’t in the circle on the back, just on the text…isn’t it ‘official’ if it’s in the circle, otherwise it’s just the blender saying it meets it w/o it being officially API certified??
Yes. It’s quite a bit of mixing up “rated”, “certified”, “listed” and actually “licensed” in this thread. Some of it is due to how current API license are obtained.

If it was API approved then it would get the SN inside the donut. In this case it may not be official but meets SN specifications for the grade.

Back