Shell Rotella T-5 in a bike ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just curious... apologize if this has been posted before.... Has anyone run Shell Rotella T-5 10W-30 in their bike with a wet clutch?

I know the T-6 is rated JASO MA, but the T-5 shows no JASO MA rating. The diesel certifications look pretty much the same and it doesn't show
to be energy conserving. I have run the T-5 in our cars and the used oil analysis' looked great; almost zero wear metals. Question is how
would it play with a wet clutch?

Thanks and Regards.........

I don't ride in cold enough weather to use a 10w30, but wouldn't think twice to if I did.

I've run T5 for a couple years now and find it shifts better than most oils I've used. I'm using the 15-40.
YMMV

Smoky

You can go here, and compare the analysis of the Rotella oils.

http://pqiamerica.com/HDEO_Sample_Summary_Dec_2016.html

The T4 15w-40 has JASO MA/MA2 certification, and a relatively recent test (March 2017). Use it as a baseline. Note that it has literally no Molybdenum.

I don't see anything in the T5 10w-30 analysis that would be of concern for a motorcycle clutch.

I've used lots of Rotella in Honda motorcycles over the years, I've even used T6 myself. Way way back, I even used 15w-50 Mobil 1 car oil in a Honda 800cc engine. Not sure if you can even buy that anymore...

My personal experience is that the Rotella oils work well for their price point, and have no problem with them.

My personal opinion is that there are better oils, that will perform better in a shared sump design, for more miles... however, you'll pay a lot more. As the saying goes, your mileage may vary.

I bought 2 of the 2.5 gallon jugs on clearance at AZ last yr.. i have used it for 2 oil changes in my Teryx which has a wet clutch...no issues. The goldwing guys really like it but the rest of the communities have to see that JASO MA or the oil debates get too hairy.

From what i understand the Rotella T4 15w40 and T6 5w40 both list JASO MA on the jugs but they didnt submit or have a real certification..they are just confident enough to print it on the label. Why they chose not to print it on the 10w30 is beyond me.

Rotella T4 and T6 sell tons of oil due to those words on the label.. motorycles/atvs/utvs etc etc.

So in a nutshell if you have it already...use it.. if not the T4 15w40 is all you need and is cheap and sold almost everywhere.

Quote:
Rotella T4 15w40 and T6 5w40 both list JASO MA on the jugs but they didnt submit or have a real certification..they are just confident enough to print it on the label. Why they chose not to print it on the 10w30 is beyond me.

IIRC Shell did the testing of both the 15W-40 and the 5W-40 for the MA classification.
As far as the 10W-30, few motorcycles call for that so far though I'm sure that Shell will
eventually put the MA on those bottles/jugs as well.

My 2¢

Thanks for the comments. Close to what I expected. The bike is a 2007 Honda VFR800 Interceptor. Honda manual and shop manual both show 10W-30 as the "preferred" oil, with the typical 10W-40, 15W-40 and 20W-50 being "acceptable" clause. Most of the new Honda products now call for 10W-30.
I have been using more T-6 than anything else with good results, but I don't put a lot of miles on the bike. I ran into a deep deal on to T-5 so thought I would give it a try since Honda "prefers" 10W-30.

Frankly, I am kind of skeptical of the need to buy high dollar oils unless one has an abusive situation or wants long OCI's. I have been riding for 45 years and have never, ever heard of anyone literally wearing out a motorcycle engine out side of real racing. I suppose it has happened, but I would bet that is a less than 1% case. From what I have seen, the only REALLY important thing (other than a reasonably good oil and correct viscosity) is to CHANGE it !

Thanks for the comments. I will make that T-5 earn its keep.

Originally Posted By: Smoky14
I've run T5 for a couple years now and find it shifts better than most oils I've used. I'm using the 15-40.
YMMV

Smoky

Same here. I’ve been using T5 15w40 in my Suzuki DL1000 with excellent results. OCI is 4000 miles, and shifting is still great at 4000. I’ve got a kit from Blackstone and will get analysis at my next change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back