Shell Rotella Synthetic 5W40

Status
Not open for further replies.
It has been reported by many people driving various vehicles that when they changed their oil and used Shell Rotella Synthetic 5W40 that the smell of oil was real noticeable. Some equate it to the smell of rotten eggs. Also the smell will be noticeable after shut down a short distance from the vehicle.
If this happens to you or anyone that you know, contact the Shell Customer Service. They had a bad batch of oil and will instruct you to change it immediately and they will give you instructions on how to obtain payment for that service.
The Batch numbers are #SHA038-0717, 1814, 4362 and 6382. If you threw away your container and cannot match up the numbers, call them anyhow. Personally, I think this is a very stand-up Company for handling this situation in the manner that they are doing.
You will notice the smell immediately after operation. If you do not have any smell do not worry. Your oil is fine and enjoy the use of your vehicle.

smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by **** in Falls Church:
Doesn't show much for their quality control, does it?

I don't know. I suspect every company has little SNAFUs like this with their oil from time to time. Most just don't say anything about it, and so the consumer never knows.

quote:

Originally posted by 59 Vetteman:
It has been reported by many people driving various vehicles that when they changed their oil and used Shell Rotella Synthetic 5W40 that the smell of oil was real noticeable. Some equate it to the smell of rotten eggs. Also the smell will be noticeable after shut down a short distance from the vehicle.
If this happens to you or anyone that you know, contact the Shell Customer Service. They had a bad batch of oil and will instruct you to change it immediately and they will give you instructions on how to obtain payment for that service.
The Batch numbers are #SHA038-0717, 1814, 4362 and 6382. If you threw away your container and cannot match up the numbers, call them anyhow. Personally, I think this is a very stand-up Company for handling this situation in the manner that they are doing.
You will notice the smell immediately after operation. If you do not have any smell do not worry. Your oil is fine and enjoy the use of your vehicle.

smile.gif

I looked and looked for anything that resembled a batch number on the containers that I have, and couldn't find any. I bought these two gallons about 6 months ago: any idea how recent these batches are? Better yet, any idea where I should be looking for the batch numbers?!

The batch number is on the back of the gallon container under the embossed Shell emblem and above the API Service circle. It looks to be dark blue or black ink. You may have to shine a light on it to see clearly. I called 1-888-GO SHELL and they didn't know anything about this. They suggested I take it back to where I purchased it. I don't know how Wal-Mart is going to handle this. I can see the following conversation taking place.
Wal-Mart : Is there a problem?
Me : Yes. This oil smells!
Wal-Mart : Sir, why are you smelling your oil?
Me : Because it smells bad!
Wal-Mart : Clothes pins for your nose are on aisle three.

Jerry

I checked my 4 gallons and I don't have the affected product. I opened one of the bottles and it smelled quite nice. I think this is going to be a decent quality product for the price.

there is nothing wrong with shell releasing bad oil. these things unfirtulately happen from time to time with any company.

what is good however, is they they owned up to it. this shows me they are a good company, even if some of you guys dont like their oil.

The only problem with the oil listed in the batch numbers is that it will create a smell when it is used in the crankcase. The lubrication properties were not compromised. So if you are using or comtemplating the use of this oil, the price is great at $12.88 per gallon at most Wal Mart's right now.

cheers.gif

59 Vetteman,

Thanks for the heads-up!

I also checked the 6 Gallons I had on the shelf and the numbers printed on the bottom of the containers didn't match those posted. I purchased the oil last fall just before Wal-Mart raised the price (now it's back down). I plan to run this in my Duramax, but I'll probably switch to Delvac-1 after that.
smile.gif

[ May 29, 2003, 12:19 PM: Message edited by: Bill Plock ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back