Shell Rotella Gas Truck 5W-30 vs. Shell Rotella T6 Multi-Vehicle 5W-30 compared

Originally Posted by Gokhan
Originally Posted by OilReport99
Originally Posted by painfx
Valvoline states that VME is good for TGDI engines. I see they have high Noack levels and VII.
As I mentioned in the other thread, Valvoline Modern Engine seems to have less ash than Valvoline Advanced Synthetic's 0.97%, which should help reduce the GDI intake-valve deposits (IVD).
Now I'm runing VME 5W-20 in my Hemi 5.7, and as I posted before I will OCI per OLM (10K miles) - any word of caution?

Thanks

It should be good.

Since you have port injection, Valvoline Advanced Synthetic's high ash content is not a cause of worry; so, it's probably a better and cheaper choice than Valvoline Modern Engine for the next OCI.

They will soon change the formulations for ILSAC GF-6 though. At that point we don't know how these oils will be like. Hopefully Valvoline Advanced Synthetic will retain its low VII content, thick base oil, and low Noack.

Thanks, Gokhan!

Originally Posted by painfx
Valvoline Modern Engine Full Syn 0w20 has Noack of 12%.

So an oil with high Noack, would that consider to have higher VII?

I'm not a fan of Valvoline Modern Engine. I think Valvoline Advanced Synthetic is better.

VII contents for both are listed in my table.

Unfortunate about VME 0W-20's less-than-stellar Noack rating and high VM. Probably wouldn't have bought so much of it on clearance at Auto Zone for the fiancee's Civic 1.5T. Not that it's a bad oil, per se, it's just that VAS is so obviously a better anti-wear oil.

I would rather take my chances with potential intake tract deposits, due to slightly higher SA content, than gunked-up piston rings and a coked turbo due to excessive VM and high Noack volatility. At least intake tract deposits are an easier, if pricey, problem to deal with (simple walnut blasting takes care of the problem).

I won't use the T6 because it's not Dexos 1 Gen2 for my GMC. I am thinking of using the Rotella 5-30 gas truck instead of Mobil1 5-30 for my 2021 V6 Canyon. I read where Rotella GT was a bit better rated than M1.

I won't use the T6 because it's not Dexos 1 Gen2 for my GMC. I am thinking of using the Rotella 5-30 gas truck instead of Mobil1 5-30 for my 2021 V6 Canyon. I read where Rotella GT was a bit better rated than M1.

Is Rotella Gas Truck still available? I thought it was discontinued.

Is Rotella Gas Truck still available? I thought it was discontinued.
It's still technically available but prices have gone way up depending on the flavor, 0w20 & 5w30 seem to be holding around the $27-$30 range but the 5w20 last I checked was over $40 and the prices were both Walmart & Amazon which should in theory be about the cheapest you can get them from.

It's still technically available but prices have gone way up depending on the flavor, 0w20 & 5w30 seem to be holding around the $27 range but the 5w20 last I checked was over $40 and the prices were both Walmart & Amazon which should in theory be about the cheapest you can get them from.

I just checked the Shell website and all I saw was Rotella T6 Multi Vehicle

It works for me, you have to goto their Rotella website but it's listed.

Saw it at Wally World near me yesterday. They had hardly any M1 oil at all, thats another reason why I may change to RGT.

RGT 5W-30 will work wonderfully in your Canyon. It's a proper Dexos1 Gen 2 rated oil. Ignore your oil life monitor (OLM) and run it for 5000 miles or less, i.e. do not run these oils longer than 5000 miles. Keep an eye on consumption throughout the oil change interval and top-off if needed. Do these things and you'll be fine.

Come to think of it, do these things with any D1G2 or new D1G3-rated oil and you'll be fine.

Last edited:
I’m running Rotella T6 MV 5W-30 in a 2nd gen Prius - they are known to drink and burn oil. I’m trying it out as a preventative measure after a piston soak. I’m 2300 miles into an OCI, it’s consumed 1/4th of a quart. I consider that a victory compared to the 1qt/2000 mi I was going through.

It’s a thick 5W-30 with the HTHS of a Euro A/B spec oil. and from what I saw on a VOA here, a solid but not as stout as regular T6 add pack.

RGT 5W-30 will work wonderfully in your Canyon. It's a proper Dexos1 Gen 2 rated oil. Ignore your oil life monitor (OLM) and run it for 5000 miles or less, i.e. do not run these oils longer than 5000 miles. Keep an eye on consumption throughout the oil change interval and top-off if needed. Do these things and you'll be fine.

Come to think of it, do these things with any D1G2 or new D1G3-rated oil and you'll be fine.
I am running in the Caravan on one year cycles. Mileage last year was 5500 miles. Olm still hasn't come on even with 6k and 254 hours.

I don't pay attention to the OLM. My dealers service writer and the tech that did my first oil change said to go with 5-30 synthetic (no brand discussed) and don't go over 5,000 miles because of cam phaser issues. So it looks like M1 or RGT 5-30 it is. Cheap insurance to me.

Back