Shell Rotella 5W-40 or Mobil 1 TDT 5W-40?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2006 Superduty with the Powerstoke Diesel Engine. 46,600 miles on the engine. The engine/truck has been flawless so far. Knock on Wood!

I have been using Schaeffer's 9000 5W-40 oil with 5,000-6,000 mile oil change intervals, for the last 25,000 miles. My lead and iron have crept up the last 2 oil changes. (Iron to 48, up from the low 20's, lead up to 15, from 3)other wear metals the same. There are 2 other people with the same trucks that are experiencing the same increase in wear metals.

Same driving conditions, nothing has changed there!

Did Schaeffer change something?

I'm going to try another oil for a couple of oil changes to see if I can get my wear numbers back down.

I will stick with the same oil change intervals for now.

Should my next oil change be Shell Rotella 5W-40 or Mobil 1 TDT 5W-40? Why?

Which would give me better wear #'s?

Thanks in advance!!

Hi,
firstly, welcome to BITOG I hope you enjoy your stay

The wear metal numbers you have noted do not form a case to change the lubricant. Remember too that wear metal content is accumulative until the lubricant is changed and sometimes there may be significant old lubricant left to influence the next UOAs

Comparing wear metal uptake/lubricants via UOAs is one of the most in-exact sciences

Last edited:
1OilLover,

See if your oils changed from meeting API CI-4 (or CI-4+) to meeting API CJ-4. I'm not implying this change would explain your UOAs but it is something to look into.

Originally Posted By: Doug Hillary
Hi,

The wear metal numbers you have noted do not form a case to change the lubricant. Remember too that wear metal content is accumulative until the lubricant is changed and sometimes there may be significant old lubricant left to influence the next UOAs

Comparing wear metal uptake/lubricants via UOAs is one of the most in-exact sciences

Thanks Doug.

The 6.0l Powerstroke has a high pressure oil resivor (sp?) that holds about 1 quart of oil which you can not drain out. The oil branch tubes and standpipes from the HPOP to Injectors hold some more oil too.

So this is true that some of my oil is "old" mixing with the "new" oil. Wear metals would of course carry over too.

One thing I should note is I did start mixing some Schaeffer 7000 15W-40 (I can get it in bulk cheaper) in with the 9000 5W-40 the last change. Roughly a 50-50 mix.

Is this a no no?

I have been a long time lurker here at BITOG, and I've always been an oil junkie before I discovered this site!!

Hi,
1OilLover - I don't know anything about the lubricants you are using. Usually mixing viscosities from a similar Brand and version of a lubricant does not present a problem. Mixing others will no doubt dilute the best forumlation by the proportion of dilution

Last edited:
Slight Hijack ...

TDT used to have the same exact specifications as Delvac 1 and the Mobil telephone reps confirmed it was the same oil in different packaging.

Now, it appears TDT and Delvac 1 have different specifications. Mobil telephone supports says they are no longer the same.

TDT is available at O'Reilly's for $24.95/gallon. A Mobil distributor priced Delvac 1 at $35.95 / gallon (I haven't seen TDT at Walmart for months.)

As I recall, the consensus was Delvac 1 / TDT were Group IV. Now, I suspect only Delvac 1 is Group IV.

Opinions on Rotella synthetic 5w-40 at $19/gallon vs.

Mobil Turbo Diesel for Trucks synthetic 5w-40 at $24.95 / gallon

vs.

Delvac 1 synthetic 5w-40 at $35.95 gallon

in a '05 Powerstroke 6.0

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Doug Hillary
Hi,

Doug,

I'm trying to understand your statement that is bolded.

Are you saying those wear levels at 6,000 to 6,500 miles shouldn't be a problem?

I was going to switch to another brand of oil (Shell or Mobil Synthetic) and run it for at least 3 changes to establish a trend.

Originally Posted By: STG
Slight Hijack ...

TDT used to have the same exact specifications as Delvac 1 and the Mobil telephone reps confirmed it was the same oil in different packaging.

Now, it appears TDT and Delvac 1 have different specifications. Mobil telephone supports says they are no longer the same.

TDT is available at O'Reilly's for $24.95/gallon. A Mobil distributor priced Delvac 1 at $35.95 / gallon (I haven't seen TDT at Walmart for months.)

As I recall, the consensus was Delvac 1 / TDT were Group IV. Now, I suspect only Delvac 1 is Group IV.
Gotta be kidding me-the most expensive major brand oil on earth, & now they're cheapening it??!? Don't overlook possible shear from your HEUI IP-I try to never let the '04 go past 5500 mi. or so, no matter what oil is in it. How do your viscosity #s look w/that many miles?

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Originally Posted By: STG
Slight Hijack ...

Gotta be kidding me-the most expensive major brand oil on earth, & now they're cheapening it??!? Don't overlook possible shear from your HEUI IP-I try to never let the '04 go past 5500 mi. or so, no matter what oil is in it. How do your viscosity #s look w/that many miles?

My viscosity numbers are within spec. for 40 weight even after 6,000 miles. That hasn't been a problem with the Schaeffer's.

The more I think about it, I'm just going to stick with the Schaeffer's 9000 5W-40. Seems to work well in the 6.0l PSD.

The reply's I got on this thread were very helpful!!

P.S. I started using Shell Rotella 5W-40 when I had about 3,500 miles on the truck until about 15,000 miles or so (then I switched to Schaeffer's). My oil analysis after a ~ 3,500 mile oil change interval on the Shell Oil showed it sheared to a 30 weight.

Now your talking.
wink.gif

I've been running Mobil 1 15w-40 for the last 4-5 changes since rebuilding my truck and would like to go synthetic. Which of these three seems to be the most recommended? I've heard recently about other people having increased wear with Scheaffer's, so I'm really trying to decide between Mobil 1, Rotella, and Valvoline Extreme 5w-40.

Originally Posted By: cartmanea
I've been running Mobil 1 15w-40 for the last 4-5 changes since rebuilding my truck and would like to go synthetic. Which of these three seems to be the most recommended? I've heard recently about other people having increased wear with Scheaffer's, so I'm really trying to decide between Mobil 1, Rotella, and Valvoline Extreme 5w-40.

Do you feel that Schaeffer's causes increased wear because someone else mentioned it in passing?
21.gif
It's top notch stuff and produces excellent wear numbers...
thumbsup2.gif

I'm also seeing Delo 5w40 on shelves around here, so it's nice to see that makers are offering more choices, as Delvac 1 has been harder to find than usual.

Syn oil turnover must be awfully slow here, as of six months ago the Delvac 1 I was buying was still only CI-4 on the labels, let alone CI-4+.
Can't recall if I took notice of the batch numbers or not to work out production dates, but at the time it was still fully imported from the US and bottled here.
AFAIK, Delo synthetic isn't available, nor is Valvoline and Shell Rimula Ultra is special order and over twice the price of D1
shocked2.gif
Fuchs have some Group III ACEA/Euro manufacturer spec blends but I have no idea on pricing.

About five years ago the distributor told me I was their only D1 customer in their entire distribution area, which just happens to be the entire of the states north west. (OK we have low population densities here too, but it would cover several hundred thousand people)
Last time I enquired they were turning over a lot more D1 than just my 80 litres or so a year.

Doug's suggestion re leftover oil 'contaminating' UOA's could very well be on the money. One of our engines was slowly creeping up in a similar fashion over successive OCI's and I knew that there was a fair bit of lubricant left over in the oil cooler, but what staggered me was how much was still in the sump when I dropped it at the last change for a look see.
Out of 6.8 litres oil capacity over 0.5 litre is left over in the engine. Do extended drains and it's easy to see how contaminant levels can creep up over time.

I just got my second UOA on Schaeffer 9000 on my 2004 F250 6.0L with 40,000 miles and on both reports, lead has jumped up. It went from 1-2 ppm that I was previously getting with Motorcraft 15W-40, up to 10 and 18 ppm on the two Schaeffer cycles (5200 and 4200 miles respectively). Iron is at 21 and 18, which is about where it was with the 15W-40, but the lead concerns me somewhat.

I don't think this is a case of accumulating lead, given the 20% shorter second interval vs. the 180% increase in lead. Both Schaeffer cycles did have more towing on them than usual (for me), so that may partly explain it, but I'm still puzzled why lead would increase by a factor of 10+ using high quality synthetic from where it was previously using dino. I'm also puzzled why copper and tin have not budged from 4 and 0, respectively, while lead is increasing. Surely there aren't solid lead bearings in these engines, are there? Any ideas?

on edit: I guess I should post this in the diesel UOA section. Srry for hijack.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: moeb
I just got my second UOA on Schaeffer 9000 on my 2004 F250 6.0L with 40,000 miles and on both reports, lead has jumped up. It went from 1-2 ppm that I was previously getting with Motorcraft 15W-40, up to 10 and 18 ppm on the two Schaeffer cycles (5200 and 4200 miles respectively). Iron is at 21 and 18, which is about where it was with the 15W-40, but the lead concerns me somewhat.

I don't think this is a case of accumulating lead, given the 20% shorter second interval vs. the 180% increase in lead. Both Schaeffer cycles did have more towing on them than usual (for me), so that may partly explain it, but I'm still puzzled why lead would increase by a factor of 10+ using high quality synthetic from where it was previously using dino. I'm also puzzled why copper and tin have not budged from 4 and 0, respectively, while lead is increasing. Surely there aren't solid lead bearings in these engines, are there? Any ideas?

on edit: I guess I should post this in the diesel UOA section. Srry for hijack.

You are about the fourth person now to report this. I've experienced this myself. Schaeffer's has changed something to cause this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back