Shell Rotella 15w-40 foaming issues?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have been using this in my '08 gsx-r1000 without any complaints. I decided to check the level the other day after a long ride (hit rev limiter couple of times at 13,750rpm), and it was normal, but there was quite a bit of foam on the surface. Should I be concearned?

Might try the T6 5w40 mext time, but Im worried about shearing issues, and I'm not sure if the bike will shift as smooth. If so I'm planning to dump it out after about 2500mi or so. Or should I just go back to Pro Honda GN4 10w-40 and call it a day?

Last edited:
Ive used rotella 5w40 in my gsxr600 and can notice bubbles through the oil level window after riding. Where did you see the foam?

All oil foams it is how quick the foam breaks up which is why you see only the surface foam. I have a John Deere compact tractor and there is a sight glass for the tranny oil and there is always layer of foam on the top of the oil.

My atv usually shows some bubbles in the oil level window to with "high" revs too, maybe 6000 rpm on my 300cc utility quad. I think its fairly normal?

Originally Posted By: vlado11
Or should I just go back to Pro Honda GN4 10w-40 and call it a day?

If it was me, i'd just keep using what you're using. I (and several others on here) are/were not impressed with the Honda GN4 Oil and far as additives and how it holds up. You choice, of course, but when push comes to shove that Rotella is a much stouter oil.

I also have noticed foam in certain high-revving engines. It didn't last long and did not hurt anything, all oils will do this to a certain extent.

Originally Posted By: hisilver
Ive used rotella 5w40 in my gsxr600 and can notice bubbles through the oil level window after riding. Where did you see the foam?

that's what I ment. Bubbles on top of the oil when looking through the glass (bike perpendicular to ground.

What is the anti-foaming agent used in oils? Has anyone done virgin OA on this oils vs motorcycle specific oils?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back