Shell Rotella 15/40 or 5/40 Syn in KTM450EXC

Status
Not open for further replies.
I race Enduros and generally put 4 to 5 hours of hard use every ride with a 450 wet clutch. I have come to the conclusion that either the Shell Rotella 15/40 Dino or the 5/40 Synthetic will do well in my motor. I have a few questions for you guys. I plan to change the oil at 15 hrs of use.

1. Which of these is going to be better for me in the long term?

2. I have the 5/40 Syn in it now, anything special to do (like flush) if I switch to the 15/40 Dino?

3. I want to get a sample done, anyone have the link to the lab?

4. Anyone with a link to Sunruh's website?

Thanks a ton for all of your contributions to this forum. This has really shed some light on oil for me.

15hrs is way long. Every race, which you said is 4-5hrs is good. If your using rotella, its cheap so why not.
I hate KTMs, but even I wouldnt abuse it like that.

What is the harm in using a 5/40 instead of a 10/50? My manual calls for a 10/50 Syn with temps above 32 degrees and 5/40 Syn below 32 degrees.

I am wondering what is the harm in using a 5/40 above 32 degrees?

gear wear can be accelerated with the 5w40.
my friend chris a. was using using mobil 1 delvac 5w40 in his various 03 and 05 yz250f's. and also in his 00 426. he broke 4th gear in all of them. that's an ugly mess.

just don't ride when it is that cold!!!
grin.gif

actually, i'd recommend using Castrol Syntec 0w30 (GC) for the ultra cold chris. i tested it at the Gator Bait enduro last year and it held up. spendy though.

Thanks Steve. 15/40 Dino SRT it is.

I will never ride when it is below 32F. I am a cajun boy, we are not wired for that stuff.

I ran Rotella 15W-40 in my 04 525 EX/C. a 4L jug was $12 CAN. For $3/L I dumped the oil every 3 rides (10 hours) and cleaned both screens and changed both filters every 4th oil change. The screens/filter change interval is a personal thing. Ince the engine was broken in I never found much #@$%! in my screens let alone the filters.

Quote:

I ran Rotella 15W-40 in my 04 525 EX/C. a 4L jug was $12 CAN. For $3/L I dumped the oil every 3 rides (10 hours) and cleaned both screens and changed both filters every 4th oil change. The screens/filter change interval is a personal thing. Ince the engine was broken in I never found much #@$%! in my screens let alone the filters.

I agree! For $1 a ride, why wouldn't you change it. Cheap insurance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back