Shell Rotella 0w40 in a Nissan VQ35?

Status
Not open for further replies.
All this blather about diesel oil in CAT equipped gasoline vehicles is of little consequence when the vehicle is not burning oil. For the Ph and Zn to "poison" the CAT, it has to get there first ... If the engine is not consuming much oil (say 1 qt/2,500 miles) there is no issue.

I ran a turbo Volvo 283,000 miles on diesel engine oils and it was burning 1 qt/1,000 at the end when it finally ash capped the CAT. Other than being plugged, it passed smog testing just fine (CAT was working, just would not flow) ...

And that was with oils at 1,500+ PPM Ph and Zn. The companies can't say this because they are leaving themselves open to law suites and penalties. But as far as the consumer is concerned, it's just fine
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: Garak
Besides, I'm not sure something burning a whack of oil will have "immortal" cats if it's a low phosphorus lube.

Probably not. Would be interesting to see how long it would last tho.

Originally Posted By: VolkswagenFox21
I think the important thing that people aren't noticing here is that Rotella T6 0w40 isn't the same as the 5w40 variant. Rotella 0w40 is in fact SN rated. PDF from Shell's website

And low SAPS, which is better for catalytic converters.

Despite what Shell says in their marketing material, this isn't going to be low SAPS in comparison to any PCMO on the market that isn't an A3/B4 or something similar. The phosphorus will be high, TBN is at 8.6, and SA is at 1.0. Low SAPS? Sure, if you compare it to a CI-4 lube or a marine lube or an A3/B4.

See here for the data sheet. All the oil companies do a fairly miserable job in educating the public about HDEOs. What they do put out there winds up misleading diesel engine owners into thinking that a modern HDEO (CJ-4 or newer) isn't up to the task for their engine and misleading gasoline engine owners into thinking that the same lube is akin to a C3 product.

Even the few HDEOs that are low phosphorus (one of those which I am using now) will still have SA of 1.0 and a TBN though the roof, 11.0 in the case of the Shell 5w-30.

Rotella T6 5w40 saved my marriage

I'm running it currently in my 2003 Toyota Highlander V6, engine runs smoother and quieter than the previous 5w30 syn. Though It's 4qts of Rotella and 1qt of Castrol 5w20 syn, what I had on stock.

Next OC I'm switching over to Delo 400 5w40 syn. It's still dual rated, though I highly doubt the new Rotella T6 will destroy a gas engine/components, unless maybe if you're burning through a qt every 1k miles or less.

-The Lubinator

Last edited:
Not to revive an old thread but I wanted to give some closure here. Even though I had a full jug of Shell 0w40 in my garage I ended up going with the Castrol 0w40 as I got a few jugs on sale based on a couple of the recommendations in this thread.

I dumped the pennzoil ultra 5w30 and put in the Castrol 0w40.

Expecting if the winter is super cold, to have no real issues getting the thing started even though this car has a block heater.

Originally Posted by dave1251
I would have kept using Rotella if it was less. Either way your covered.

^^^^^^^^^

True indeed Dave.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back