shell oil question

Status
Not open for further replies.
different products, same company. they are both(along with QuakerState) product lines of S.O.P.U.S.(Shell Oil Products U.S.)

Just like Pepsico makes Pepsi, Mountain Dew, and Doritos.
or like how your parents made you and your siblings. (same parents, many of the same "ingredients", but definitely not identical products with a different label slapped on the outside.)

or if you prefer to keep your analogies automotive, it's just like how a Mustang, a Fiesta, and a Ranger are all Ford products,and may even have some common components, but they are clearly not the same product.

The way I see it is that Pennzoil has more calcium to keep engines cleaner
and Quaker State has more zinc to fight engine wear. Regular Shell oil may
be just like any other SN oil that just meets the standards.

Really, they all "just meet the standards" as far as any of us can tell. Examine your claims closely here and here. PYB appears to have the most calcium, but we don't know about the error bars of the testing done. QSGB and Formula Shell are very close. As for zinc, PYB has the most and QSGB the least. Yet, when one looks at Formula Shell and QSGB, those two are so close on zinc levels that it's statistical noise.

There is more to an oil than what shows in a VOA. I'd use any three of these products without hesitation, and have done so. In fact, Formula Shell is beginning to grow on me due to sensible pricing and better availability outside of normal expensive and obnoxious retail channels (i.e. Walmart and Canadian Tire).

I'd have no issue running Formula Shell in my G37 just as readily as I did PYB for the longest time.

A guy that works at zippy lube told me they are the same oil, i disagreed and he said call his headquarters and ask them, i did and they said the same thing, shell oil is Pennzoil just labeled different, and that most oils come out of the same pipe to different trucks delivered to bottling plants.

I think they are crazy but i wanted to ask you guys for sure.

I wouldn't call the lube shop's headquarters. I'd call Shell Oil, and I'll bet they'll say no. We were told they were different products some time ago, too, by a poster who worked for Pennzoil and has since retired.

I'd call them interchangeable, but that doesn't mean they're the same.

And given that it's a Jiffy Lube (or any quick lube), the knowledge is probably minimal.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: built
A guy that works at zippy lube told me they are the same oil, i disagreed and he said call his headquarters and ask them, i did and they said the same thing, shell oil is Pennzoil just labeled different, and that most oils come out of the same pipe to different trucks delivered to bottling plants.

I think they are crazy but i wanted to ask you guys for sure.

What headquarters? The franchiser's office? Jiffy Lube is owned by Shell but franchised out to whom has the money to own a business.

I can't speak necessarily for down there, but auto parts places and farm supply stores are among the best sources here. Then, of course, there is the SOPUS distributor, and that's about the best price of all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back