Shell Oil coupon Fail

Status
Not open for further replies.
I usually buy my gas at Shell. There is signage at the pump and on the receipt that says something like this, “$10 off the purchase of 5 quarts of Pennzoil Platinum at AutoZone.” I thought, hum good idea. So I went to AutoZone, got my 5 quarts of Pennzoil and went to the counter. The clerk said, “We’ve seen a bunch of these, but we haven’t received instructions on how to process the coupon. Sorry.” I put the oil back on the shelf and left. Today I called Shell, more than anything to tell them that half of their co-operative marketing campaign wasn’t working. I spoke with a gal in the marketing department who transferred me to “customer service” faster than you can drop a hot potato. After I explained the issue to Peter at least 4 times, I didn’t care anymore. Peter assured me he would have the convenience store manager where I bought the gas call me. I told him to have someone call AutoZone, anyway…I can buy it cheaper at WalMart.

Sounds pretty typical of a big company not telling their franchises about promotions until after the public knows.

I love the coupons Ford sends out to buy the Motorcraft Tested Tough MAx batteries for 109.95 or 119.95, that's MSRP. They also have the Tested Tough Plus ones for 89.95, but we never carry them and people always throw a fit when I tell them we can order them and no I will not price match and sell for less than my cost.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal

I love the coupons Ford sends out to buy the Motorcraft Tested Tough MAx batteries for 109.95 or 119.95, that's MSRP. They also have the Tested Tough Plus ones for 89.95, but we never carry them and people always throw a fit when I tell them we can order them and no I will not price match and sell for less than my cost.

Sounds like a possible case of bait and switch to me. If Ford is advertising the economy versions in ads but the dealers NEVER have them in stock it's deceptive advertising.

DCR, interesting.

I have a different experience with the situation. I buy gas at a local Shell station. They have the same coupons advertised. In the last 10 days when I've bought gas, three times I've bought gas there, the pumps didn't give me a receipt because they were out of paper!

It's just another way we are being conned. I have a stock of Pennzoil Ultra but once it's gone I will replace it with oil from a company that's more honest.

Scott

PS And what do all the errors on Pennzoil's website tell you? I'm not sure but it's not good! If you can't properly maintain a website, how can you properly manufacture a high tech fluid?

Originally Posted By: SLO_Town
DCR, interesting.

I have a different experience with the situation. I buy gas at a local Shell station. They have the same coupons advertised. In the last 10 days when I've bought gas, three times I've bought gas there, the pumps didn't give me a receipt because they were out of paper!

It's just another way we are being conned. I have a stock of Pennzoil Ultra but once it's gone I will replace it with oil from a company that's more honest.

Scott

PS And what do all the errors on Pennzoil's website tell you? I'm not sure but it's not good! If you can't properly maintain a website, how can you properly manufacture a high tech fluid?

Which company are you going to use then?

DCR, interesting.

Scott

I know their website may concern you, but keep in mind that many companies have their web design/maintenance taken care of by another company. It is likely that Pennzoil's less-than-stellar website has absolutely nothing to do with the quality of their lubricants.

Originally Posted By: dave1251
DCR, interesting.

Scott

Which company are you going to use then?

Probably Conoco-Phillps (Kendall) for all but the BMW. My BMW is the "chosen one" in my fleet and is treated to certain high-end Euro brands (Pentosin VS primarily and Motul X-max occassionally).

Scott

In the last 10 days when I've bought gas, three times I've bought gas there, the pumps didn't give me a receipt because they were out of paper!

And how many of those times did you walk into the gas station store, and tell the clerk that the paper is out on pump #(n), and that you need a copy of your receipt?

BC.

Uhh, the receipt gives the code that the AZ employee is supposed to use in ringing the sale.
Nothing hard about that.
We happened to fill one of the cars at a Shell this past Monday, Memorial Day, and got the receipt complete with the discount code.
We stopped at an AZ on the way home.
They had PP at $33.00/jug, so even with $10.00 off, it was no steal.
The store folks did try to help me find a fabric convertible top conditioner/sealer (there is an appropriate Mother's product, that this AZ lacked), and helpfully printed out the $20.00 store card MIR for the 5.28 qt jug of Maxlife Nextgen 10W-40 that they did have at 17.99, and that I bought.

Originally Posted By: dave1251
How is Shell supposed to make the franchisee provide receipts?

How do Ford and GM make their dealerships perform warranty service at a loss? Make a phone call. If that doesn't work, mail a letter. If that doesn't work, no more signage, branding, and product. Unless the franchisee has been looking for a way out of their contract the phone call will be enough and the rest is close to 100%.

If the franchisee has been looking for an excuse to jump ship, chances are there's a contract that will disallow the franchisee buying any (gas/oil) competing products for a set period of time. That's the big stick. It works out to "Do what we tell you or shut your business down until the end of our contract period" enforced by law. Paper can't be that expensive.

I, too, have become disappointed with Shell's marketing.

First, their Shell Mastercard with its 5% off any Shell gasoline (not diesel) purchase was GREAT!! That's 20c off gas when it's $4.00/gal, cheaper than the gyppos. Now, that has been modified to 10c per gallon IF you spend over $500.00 per month, 15c if you spend over $1500, and 20c (max) if you spend over $2500.00 a month I think. BofA gives you 3% on gasoline purchases up to a max of $1500.00 per quarter. Sallie Mae gives you 5% up to a max of $500.00 per month. In addition, if a Shell station had different prices for cash or credit, if you used the Shell MC you paid the credit price. If you use a Chevron (not Visa or MC) Credit card at a Chevron station, you get the cash price.

Secondly, the local grocery chain (Lucky Stores), had a promotion during the holidays (they may still have it) where you got discounts on Shell gas with certain levels of purchases. Next door to the store, there is a Chevron and a Shell station on opposite corners, and their prices are ALWAYS the same. During this promotion, the Shell gas was 10c higher. The stations are now the same price again, so I presume the promotion is over.

Just seems like bad practice, I use Chevron now.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back