Shell Oil buys Pennzoil/ QS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
What does everyone think about Shell Oil buying Pennzoil/QS?? I hope Johnny keeps his job.
smile.gif

welcome.gif

Great username by the way. I hope Johnny keeps his job also! As far as the Pennzoil goes? Who knows what will happen? Will Shell let that brand be superior to the Shell brand? Dunno? Only time will tell.

Looking forward to seeing the new Synthetic they are working on though,Shell,Pennzoil or anyname they put on it,seems a interesting oil.

I see you are a Q-A tech. Are you in the oil business in some way ?

[ September 29, 2002, 11:02 AM: Message edited by: dragboat ]

I'm a QA Tech in the tool storage industry,I really like this site. So much info about oil etc.,so little time to read it all!!!
smile.gif
What are your thoughts on Trop Artic motor oils?? Have you seen any virgin oil analysis on 5w-30,10w-30??

5 months and no one really answered his question!
frown.gif

I recall reading that by 2010, Royal Dutch Shell, which already has a better financial rating and higher cash flow than Canada, will be the lead company that gets the profit from like 90% of all oil sold in the US. If I'm off, fill me in but this is something that should be talked about WAY more!

90% **** !!! Oh well....my Mom retired from Shell and her stock is already worth somewhere around well lets just say it's enough that myself, my kids(if I ever have any), and maybe my grandkids would never have to work again. By 2010 it could be worth some real money.
grin.gif

[ June 24, 2003, 11:41 PM: Message edited by: shinerburke ]

The thing that worries me about all these oil company mergers, is that it probably will lead to less competition. Ultimately, there will be fewer brands of gasoline and fewer brands of motor oil available.

Is it really very likely that Shell, after taking over Pennzoil and Quaker State, is for very long going to allow the continued production of three different brands of motor oil? It would be better economics to have just one brand of motor oil.

How about Exxon and Mobil? Will we continue to see Mobil 1 and Exxon SuperFlow on store shelves? How about Texaco/Chevron/and whoever else?

All of these business mergers worry me. Hey, if you are Company Y when it comes to selling motor oils (and you are something like number 20 on the list), then you buy Company X (and Company X is number one in motor oil sales), that sort of takes care of the competition, right?

I can't imagine Shell getting rid of the Pennzoil or Quaker State brands. They are too well known and sell a great deal based on their name/reputation. If Shell were to do away with them I don't think people would automatically switch to Shell's brand. Most people have no idea that Royal Dutch even owns Pennzoil & Quaker State.

I can see Texaco going away....that brand name isn't nationally well known and I don't think there would be much of a hit to Chevron in doing away with the Texaco name. They can just call their oil Chevron Havoline and people that do know Texaco will recognize the product.

As for Exxon & Mobil. I'm not sure what to think about that. You don't see many, if any Exxon or Mobil stations here in the South, so most people don't think of them when you talk about motor oil around here. With Mobil 1 people are more aware of that brand name but it's still not thought of as often as Pennzoil or Quaker State around here. Of course that's probably just a regional thing.

In the end I'm sure there will be a few less brands, but the big names like Pennzoil, Quaker State, and Mobil will most likely always be around.

quote:

Originally posted by shinerburke:

I can see Texaco going away....that brand name isn't nationally well known and I don't think there would be much of a hit to Chevron in doing away with the Texaco name. They can just call their oil Chevron Havoline and people that do know Texaco will recognize the product.

That is basically the plan for North America. The Havoline brand will remain, but Texaco is going away.

Shell needed to do something when Equilon dissolved and they no longer had a stake in Havoline. Shell gasoline is popular, but, except for Rotella, you almost never see Shell motor oil in auto parts and discount stores.

Having used little except Pennzoil dino, 10W-30 and now 5W-30,
since the late 70's, I am not comfortable with Shell buying them.
Since the merger with Quaker State, I have watched the price climb
with doubts about the continued consistency of the product.
Discovering Fram's inferiority hasn't helped.

The big problem I see in switching is, what can I count on being
conveniently available at a reasonable price next year or 5 years
from now? Can I even count on stuff I pay through the nose and
mail order? I am really convinced I should pick a product and stick
with it. However so much isn't available anymore. Besides, it can
lock you into 20 year old technology.

It is sort of like when I went out to replace a wrench that had a
lifetime guarantee. Guaranteed for the life of the company that
made it. I found my self wondering who I could count on being
around in 20 years, Ace Hardware or Sears. Of course if Sears
manages to manage itself into bankruptcy, somebody would pick up
the Craftsman name.

There are no gurantees in life. With oil formulations changing so quickly, the best thing to do is monitor the results of VOA's, UOA's, and discussions here on BITOG.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back