Shell Helix Ultra ECT C2/C3 0W-30 in 2.0L Ecoboost?

Hi All,

I've recently bought a Ford Falcon with the 2.0L Ecoboost engine. Looking to change the oil, and I've got 15L of Shell Helix Ultra ECT C2/C3
0W-30 (which I believe is the same as PENNZOIL PLATINUM EURO LX SAE 0W-30) sitting in my garage that I'd like to use up if I can.

Ford recommend WSS-M2C913-D or ACEA A5/B5, whereas the Shell Helix Ultra ECT C2/C3 0W-30 is ACEA C2/C3 as well as VW 504.00/507.00 & Porsche C30.

Basically what I'm asking, is there anything in the Ford WSS-M2C913-D or ACEA A5/B5 that I'll be missing by using a ACEA C3, VW 504.00/507.00 oil?

HT/HS for the C3 oil is >=3.5 Vs >=2.9 & B5, C3 oil is Mid-SAPS, only difference I can see is C3 has lower TBN requirements. Presumably a VW 504.00/507.00 oil will be fine for a GDI Ford engine?

Thanks

Is it a new vehicle? If so, you should use oil with the correct Ford spec to preserve your warranty.

Ford 913-D is a 5W30 based on ACEA A5/B5 and is very different from an ACEA C3 oil.

Roughly
C3 is high HTHS, 913-D is low HTHS
C3 is low(ish) SAPS, 913-D is high SAPS
C3 is low(ish) TBN, 913-D is high TBN
C3 is low(ish) ZDDP (zinc), 913-D is high ZDDP (much higher than usual oils)

As oils go, they are almost opposite in every way.

Sure the Shell Helix Ultra ECT is a good oil, but it's not a Ford 913-D oil. Use it in your other car, or as a top up oil, or as mower oil.

For your Ford Falcon, get the correct Ford oil, lots of 913-D oil in Australia & New Zealand from Penrite, Nulon, Castrol and Valvoline. I'm sure Shell make it too, I've just never seen it.

Great oil, better than Ford was specifying, pamper your Ford and use it.
Maybe with reference to the North American Ford spec. But you can't get 913-D oil in North America as it's a full synthetic 5W30 Euro A5/B5 oil with extra ZDDP added which pushes it above the chemical limits allowed by SN or SP. It's a very unique oil, and a good quality oil.

Thanks for the advice KCJeep and SR5. I have a good relationship with the Shell distributor in my town, so will go with the relevant Shell product.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice KCJeep and SR5. I have a good relationship with the Shell distributor in my town, so will go with the relevant Shell product.
In that case you want Shell Helix Ultra Professional AF 5W-30

Specifications: API SL, ACEA A5/B5; Ford WSS-M2C913-C and WSS-M2C913-D; Jaguar Land Rover STJLR.03.5003

Don't let the SL put you off, it's a top quality GTL (pure plus) full synthetic, but the extra zinc (ZDDP anti-wear agent) pushes it above the most recent API chemical limits, but not the Euro ACEA limits.

Crikey, I might need to flip a coin here.

To me, the physical characteristics of the ECT C2/C3 0W-30 appear better, a bit thicker at 100° (actually 24% thicker), with a HT/HS over 3.5. On the flip side the Professional AF has higher ZDDP (and TBN), and would presumably give slightly better fuel economy, perhaps with the ZDDP making up for the lower HT/HS?

ShellOils.jpg

Shell Helix Ultra ECT C2/C3 0W-30 = Shell Helix Ultra Professional AV-L 0W-30
(VW 504 00 only) is still better oil compared to Shell Helix Ultra Professional AF
5W-30.

this
Would you mind elaborating on why the ECT C2/C3 0W-30 is a better oil than the Professional AF?

Of course yes, I will.
As giantkingsquid mentioned a higher HTHS of 3.5, much more boron
(~500 ppm instead of ~80 ppm), a lower pour point (-54°C - -59°C
depending on VOA) and still similar or same flashpoint leading me to
the conclusion of a higher GTL content compared to AF. That said ECT
also meets more stringent approvals (VW 504 00, 507 00, MB 229.51,
229.52). I doubt more ZDDP inevitably leads to better protection with-
out deeper knowledge of the full AW package and thoroughly under-
standing how it works. I prefer MOFT to protect the engine as long as
possible before AW additives come into play anyway.
If Shell Helix Ultra ECT C2/C3 0W-30 isn't 'fuel efficient' enough then
perhaps not many are. About 60 mm²/s (cSt) at 40°C is still a thin oil.

SHU ECT C2/C3 0W-30:
index.php

SHUP AV-L 0W-30 which is very most probably same:

index.php

SHUP AF 5W-30:

index.php

Either oil will work. They survive just fine on the semisynthetic, low zddp, low hths 5W30 fuel economy oil every dealer in the USA puts in those engines.

Reactions: pbm
Of course either will work, however the OP "got 15L of Shell Helix Ultra ECT C2/C3 0W-30".
The question is if it's safe to use. My answer and perhaps the consensus is, yes it's safe using,
probably even better.

I’ll be using that oil in my 2005 BA wagon (Barra engine) with some added ZDDP (Penrite Pro Series Petrol Engine Boost+).

Great oil, but why not just use Shell Helix Ultra 5w-40 or Ultra X 5w-30? They’re much easier to find, cheaper (especially 5w-40), both MB 229.5 (and Porsche A40 for the 5w-40) and have the ZDDP you’d be adding anyway.

Great oil, but why not just use Shell Helix Ultra 5w-40 or Ultra X 5w-30? They’re much easier to find, cheaper (especially 5w-40), both MB 229.5 (and Porsche A40 for the 5w-40) and have the ZDDP you’d be adding anyway.
The SHU X being SP/SN+ alao has added benefit of LSPI protection lacking on th3 0w30

Back