Shell Helix Ultra 5W-30

Ok, but am I right in thinking that by having both Port and Direct injection (which I have) and no gpf (only a standard cat converter) , the normal issues of DI, namely LSPI & valve deposits don't apply? So it might be more suitable for the long term ownership of this little goer... to start using a full saps a3/b4 in either a 30 or 40 grade for a normal oci??

Ok, but am I right in thinking that by having both Port and Direct injection (which I have) and no gpf (only a standard cat converter) , the normal issues of DI, namely LSPI & valve deposits don't apply? So it might be more suitable for the long term ownership of this little goer... to start using a full saps a3/b4 in either a 30 or 40 grade for a normal oci??
I don't see why LSPI wouldn't be a problem as it's a problem with using GDI in any form and I'd assume that the GDI injector is used under heavy loading otherwise I'd think premium fuel would be required and LSPI occurs when the engine is under heavy load. I still don't know that high SAPS oil is the greatest thing to run in dual injected engines, you have some fuel washing the valves but still probably not to the level in an engine that's only port injected, seeing how ford specs 5W-20, I'm not sure that thick 30 grade with an HTHS over 3.5 is really necessary, 5W30 ILSAC/API Resource conserving oil should do just fine and should have a decently low (less than 1%) sulfated ash level if it meets Dexos1, the only reason I see for not using the manual specified grade is since Xw20 oils are a little harder to find in Australia, otherwise I'd just stick with that, since they aren't, 5W30 API-RC/ILSAC/DEXOS1G2 oils are the best thing you could put in there as an alternative.

Reactions: Y_K
Originally Posted by SR5
Our Shell Helix Ultra 5W40 is API SN and ACEA A3/B4 plus all the Euro OEMs. A great oil, but not SN-Plus or it wasn't the last time I checked. Unfortunately I was in a bit of a rush today and didn't check the 5W40.

I agree A3/B4 is a very high quality standard, but the last time I checked they hadn't explicitly included a LSPI test like SN-Plus and D1G2 has. Not that I'm worried, just saying. I like how they are both MB 229.5 which means a Noack volatility of 10% or less, much better than the 13% of Dexos or the 15% of API.

I like how the new SHU 5W30 is SN-Plus and A3/B4 oil, as it allows for a one-size-fits-all approach if you have both Euro and non-Euro cars in your garage.

Lots here run the SHU 5W40 in all their regular (non-Euro) cars, as it's such a great oil. The new SHU 5W30 should help the newer Japanese car owners who want a Euro quality oil that still meets their owners manual requirements.

BTW what's MB 226.5 ? I'm not familiar with that one.

I just got Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W40 for my BMW and it is SN+. Not that I really care, but it is.
Now that you mention it I looked at a new bottle of Pennzoil Platium Euro 5w40 and it is now SP. Enjoy the photos.

36F20FE9-AC79-42C5-818A-8214E3DACC91.jpeg
A8AF5F33-615A-48F7-98D2-FE732CFA56E0.jpeg
0F016F07-6A3F-4E35-83A6-5F4C3300EA86.jpeg

Out of what would be available down under, I recommend these 2 oils
The magnatec should be API SP/ ILSAC GF-6A and carries Ford WSS-M2C946-B1 Meets and WSS-M2C961-A1 which are the 5W30 equivalents to wss-m2c948-b, The valvoline still only reflects API SN+/ILSAC GF-5 and ford WSS-M2C946-B1 but either or should be fine.
The SHU 5W30 outperforms both with its far superior GTL base oil and stout (infenium) add pack. It's also SN-plus
At AUD $38.99 / 5L it's dirt cheap for a premium lube.

The SHU 5W30 outperforms both with its far superior GTL base oil and stout (infenium) add pack. It's also SN-plus
At AUD $38.99 / 5L it's dirt cheap for a premium lube.

Well I asked Shell Australia about it, they said it's 1.3% sulfated ash, I'd assume Ford's setup for dual injection is similar to Toyota's and they inject only a small volume of fuel at the back side of the valve during low loads or idle to create a lean fuel mixture and the majority of the fuel is directly injected into the cylinder and creates a rich pocket around the spark plug, and at high loads the port injectors are not used at all, so using a high sulfated ash oil may still not be a great idea as there's not that much fuel there to wash the backside of the valves so to prevent deposits I'd stick with a lower sulfated ash oil intended for modern direct injection cars and in this case preferably something that carries the Ford WSS-M2C946-B1 or WSS-M2C961-A1 spec or failing that GM dexos1g2.

Well I asked Shell Australia about it, they said it's 1.3% sulfated ash, I'd assume Ford's setup for dual injection is similar to Toyota's and they inject only a small volume of fuel at the back side of the valve during low loads or idle to create a lean fuel mixture and the majority of the fuel is directly injected into the cylinder and creates a rich pocket around the spark plug, and at high loads the port injectors are not used at all, so using a high sulfated ash oil may still not be a great idea as there's not that much fuel there to wash the backside of the valves so to prevent deposits I'd stick with a lower sulfated ash oil intended for modern direct injection cars and in this case preferably something that carries the Ford WSS-M2C946-B1 or WSS-M2C961-A1 spec or failing that GM dexos1g2.
Yeah some interesting points there, thanks...I've been thinking more about the low/mid-saps euro 5w30's like M1esp or Castrol LL...along with the 'regular' M1 and your above recommendations, I'm not 100% sure which way to go (the budget can cope)...pick one out of a hat maybe??

Yeah some interesting points there, thanks...I've been thinking more about the low/mid-saps euro 5w30's like M1esp or Castrol LL...along with the 'regular' M1 and your above recommendations, I'm not 100% sure which way to go (the budget can cope)...pick one out of a hat maybe??
If you're looking at euro mid-saps oil , I don't think I've seen any with the SN+ or SP designation, but MB229.52 now includes LSPI testing, and Mobil 1 ESP 0W30 and 5W30 carry MB-Approval 229.52 as well as Pennzoil Euro LX (Shell Helix Ultra ECT C2/C3) 0W-30.

I wonder why Shell does not distribute the lighter ILSAC version of the SHU 5W30?
Its available in other markets.

I wonder why Shell does not distribute the lighter ILSAC version of the SHU 5W30?
Its available in other markets.
They apparently have "SHELL HELIX ULTRA PROFESSIONAL AF 5W-30" in Australia but I'm not sure where you can get it, maybe a Ford dealer, maybe in bulk only?

Sorry to revive an old thread but I did see this oil the other day and wondered if it would be a good candidate for the 1.5ltr 3cyl ecoboost...as wss-m2c948-b is annoying to find in Aus..(yes I'm not a Penrite fan lol)
The Shell Helix Ultra X 5W30 is Specifications: API SN PLUS/SN; ACEA A3/B4; BMW LL-01; MB approval 229.5, 226.5; Renault RN0700, RN0710. (From the Shell web site)

Some other choices
Nulon Full Synthetic 5W-30 Long Life Performance, it's Dexos1-Gen2 and Ford WSS M2C 946A.

Valvoline SynPower 5W30, it's SN-Plus, Dexos1-Gen2 and Ford WSS-M2C946-B1

Castrol Magnatec Fuel Saver DX 5W30, it's API SP, ILSAC GF-6, Dexos1-Gen2, Ford WSS-M2C946-B1 and Ford WSS-M2C961-A1

They are the obvious choices for a LSPI- protection oil that is commonly available in Australia and not Penrite. Basically you want at least one of API SN-Plus, API SP, ILSAC GF-6 or Dexos1-Gen2. Maybe some Ford or Euro OEM specs also count, but I'm not familiar with these.

Now from this link, its says

Ford WSS-M2C948-B Largely based on the ACEA C2 oil sequence this spec requires a low SAPS 5W20 oil and is primarily designed for the 1.0 liter, 3-cylinder EcoBoost engine. Contains in-house tests for fuel economy and piston deposit control. Oils meeting this spec must provide a 0.9% fuel economy improvement over regular 5W-20 oils.

So for me, I would want a low (or mid) SAPS oil as well as LSPI (low speed pre ignition) protection for your DI-turbo engine. So I would rule out the high SAPS (A3/B4) Shell Ultra X oil. But any of the other 5W30 Dexos1-Gen2 oils above would do me. Sure they are not thick Euro oils, but rather thinner ILSAC oils, but they are still 5W30s which is thicker than 5W20 without been over-the-top, so a reasonable choice. You may not get your 0.9% fuel economy improvement, but I could live with that.

Now, just looking up that Nulon oil, it has a SAPS level of SA = 0.9%, the Magnatec DX has a SA = 0.94%. Not low, but not super high either.

A typical Euro full SAPS oil, like Edge 5W30 A3/B4 has a sulphated ash SA = 1.2%

According to the ACEA sequences a C2 oil is mid-SAPS with SA
Having said all that, most 948-B oils I can find are API SN and ACEA C5 (lower HTHS than C2 but same SAPS) with a typical SA = 0.8 % (for Mobil Super 3000 F 5W20).

Geez......I would just get a 5W30 Dexos1-Gen2 oil if you can't get the actual Ford 948 stuff.

The main advantage of SHU is the better base and low noack.
This is why GF6/SP/D1 version of Shell SHU would be awesome.

Oh i saw that at a small chain autoparts store in mexico when i was there a week ago. They sell a lot of non US stuff but i would feel like a weirdo taking pics of stuff instore with others near me.

Oh i saw that at a small chain autoparts store in mexico when i was there a week ago. They sell a lot of non US stuff but i would feel like a weirdo taking pics of stuff instore with others near me.
I'm curious as to what grades were most common, the oil section in most US autoparts stores is like mostly Xw20 and Xw30, is it still mostly Xw40 and Xw50 in Mexico or have the fuel economy grades gain great popularity in Mexico in recent years?

I'm curious as to what grades were most common, the oil section in most US autoparts stores is like mostly Xw20 and Xw30, is it still mostly Xw40 and Xw50 in Mexico or have the fuel economy grades gain great popularity in Mexico in recent years?
40 is the average and there are some 20 grades but there are more 30 grades then a ton of cheaper sae 40 and 30's usually in api CF and SL. And no, resource conserving isnt taking over and im happy. still plenty of cheap new bulletproof reliable cars using old tech 4-6spd automatics and manuals with older gen engines. Heck the 2021 mitsubishi l20 pickup still uses the same 4g64 2.4l na 4 banger and 5spd manual my 1993 mitsubishi l200 uses. compare both and one looks like a brick and the other a space ship its weird. bulletproof reliable combination. I love that there's no fiscal incremental fuel efficiency baloney down here.

They also have this weird thing where the more premium oils were sold in shiny plastic round bottles. i saw a round shiny green bottle of castrol full syn 5w-50 but it only had an api sp certification on it. Most oils are still api sm or sn just a few are sp.

There is a lot of 20w-50 since its always hot and there is also 20/25w-60 and its usually labeled as taxi oil since they know those engines get beat to hell. Motor oil is expensive overthere. Usually 1.7-3x more.

I just saw this stuff in Repco (Australia) today, it must be new as I've never seen it before.

Shell Helix Ultra 5W-30 full synthetic.
It's a GTL (PurePlus) based oil, and according to the jug it's made in Hong Kong.

It's rated API SN-Plus, ACEA A3/B4, BMW LL-01, MB 229.5 / 226.5 and Renault RN 0700 / 0710.

This is the first SN-Plus (for LSPI control) and A3/B4 (for high HTHS) oil I have ever seen in the wild.

Do you have it in North America? It would probably be called Pennzoil Platinum Euro of some sort.

Looks like a top quality oil to me.
Gulf western 5w30 Supercheap auto exclusive, another A3 B4 Sn oil

The main advantage of SHU is the better base and low noack.
This is why GF6/SP/D1 version of Shell SHU would be awesome.
Yeah I agree, Shell in Australia need to provide an API SP & Dexos1 rated, GTL based Shell Helix Ultra 5W30 and maybe even 0W20. They already have SHU 5W40 A3/B4 for the big toys.

To be honest I would prefer a GTL 5W20 over a GTL 0W20, as it would have lower Noack etc. But I realise most owners manuals now call for 0W20 as a sort of world spec., so a 0W20 would be much more useful to those who just want to follow the owners manual, which is most people.

The Shell Helix Ultra X 5W30 is Specifications: API SN PLUS/SN; ACEA A3/B4; BMW LL-01; MB approval 229.5, 226.5; Renault RN0700, RN0710. (From the Shell web site)

Some other choices
Nulon Full Synthetic 5W-30 Long Life Performance, it's Dexos1-Gen2 and Ford WSS M2C 946A.

Castrol Magnatec Fuel Saver DX 5W30, it's API SP, ILSAC GF-6, Dexos1-Gen2, Ford WSS-M2C946-B1 and Ford WSS-M2C961-A1

They are the obvious choices for a LSPI- protection oil that is commonly available in Australia and not Penrite. Basically you want at least one of API SN-Plus, API SP, ILSAC GF-6 or Dexos1-Gen2. Maybe some Ford or Euro OEM specs also count, but I'm not familiar with these.

Ford WSS-M2C948-B Largely based on the ACEA C2 oil sequence this spec requires a low SAPS 5W20 oil and is primarily designed for the 1.0 liter, 3-cylinder EcoBoost engine. Contains in-house tests for fuel economy and piston deposit control. Oils meeting this spec must provide a 0.9% fuel economy improvement over regular 5W-20 oils.

So for me, I would want a low (or mid) SAPS oil as well as LSPI (low speed pre ignition) protection for your DI-turbo engine. So I would rule out the high SAPS (A3/B4) Shell Ultra X oil. But any of the other 5W30 Dexos1-Gen2 oils above would do me. Sure they are not thick Euro oils, but rather thinner ILSAC oils, but they are still 5W30s which is thicker than 5W20 without been over-the-top, so a reasonable choice. You may not get your 0.9% fuel economy improvement, but I could live with that.

Now, just looking up that Nulon oil, it has a SAPS level of SA = 0.9%, the Magnatec DX has a SA = 0.94%. Not low, but not super high either.

A typical Euro full SAPS oil, like Edge 5W30 A3/B4 has a sulphated ash SA = 1.2%

Having said all that, most 948-B oils I can find are API SN and ACEA C5 (lower HTHS than C2 but same SAPS) with a typical SA = 0.8 % (for Mobil Super 3000 F 5W20).

Geez......I would just get a 5W30 Dexos1-Gen2 oil if you can't get the actual Ford 948 stuff.

Some other choices

Decided on the Castrol Edge LL01 5w30, C3 with Euro Specs (both 505/507 and C30 have an LSPI test component I believe) .I would like to try the SHU C2/C3 0w30 (as it has MB229.52 whch the Castrol dorsn't) but it's too $$$ and only in 20ltr from sparesbox can't find it anywhere else

Everything seems happy, car went really well on a recent family trip, pretty cool how well the little triple can overtake etc if you give it the right gears...

Reactions: SR5
Back