Shell ad from 1958

289014626_10220555734899076_5273339185222527615_n.jpg

Must have forgot to shake the can, lol ... 3 different colored oil stream pouring out. Wonder if that freaked out some people back in the days that ad was used.

Reminds me of when my brother was little. I would pick him up from school and we'd go to 7-11 and he would get a fountain drink by going back and fourth filling his Big Gulp up with every available flavor haha:D

Reminds me of when my brother was little. I would pick him up from school and we'd go to 7-11 and he would get a fountain drink by going back and fourth filling his Big Gulp up with every available flavor haha:D
I still do that at age 67. My first Dr Pepper in 1968 was at the north Hill 10 pin bowling alley not far from the USAF base in Minot, ND.

Can some body explain to me the 10w-20w30, is this a triple viscosity oil?
In the lower left corner it says:"It's 3 motor oils in 1". Must have something to do with the marketing statement of "New thermostatic motor oil adjusts automatically to all engine temperatures". But we know how SAE J300 grades xW-yy motor oils that "10W-20W-30" can't be true today - maybe something was strange in J300 back then. Probanly just some kind of marketing mumble jumble back in the days (late 1950s) when multi-viscosity oils were being born.

Last edited:
In the lower left corner it says:"It's 3 motor oils in 1". Must have something to do with the marketing statement of "New thermostatic motor oil adjusts automatically to all engine temperatures". But we know how SAE J300 grades xW-yy motor oils that "10W-20W-30" can't be true today - maybe something was strange in J300 back then. Probanly just some kind of marketing mumble jumble back in the days (late 1950s) when multi-viscosity oils were being born.
Figured it was marketing. Did some light reading yesterday and the history of SAE J300 is pretty cool. Seems it came out in 1955 but was just footnote until 1962.

Looks like it wasn't until 1980 they made them stop listing all the XW on the label. I didn't start buying oil until the early 70's and just don't remember seeing that.

Additionally, it was specified that only the lowest W grade should be referred to on the label. This was due to the proliferation of viscosity grades shown on labels. It was confusing to see something like SAE 5W/10W/15W-40 on an oil bottle.

Growing up in the 60’s, my dad used Quaker State Super Blend 10w-20w-30 in everything. He was convinced that the 3 weights was the most protective. I used it in my first cars in the 70’s. Neither of us ever had any engine problems. The key was probably our attention to preventative maintenance rather than the brand or weights.

Back