Status
Not open for further replies.
OIL TYPE & GRADE: BULK Shell Formula 5W/30 dino from dealer
OIL USE INTERVAL: 3,010 Miles
Buick Lucerne 2006 3.8L V-6
14,750 miles
AC DELCO Filter
10-08 to 3-09 oil in use..

Universal averages show typical wear metals from this type of engine after 14,700 miles on the oil. Most
metals were low and in the proper balance for oil from a normally wearing 3.8L, but copper was a bit high. Since the
engine is rather new, we think that the high copper here is from lingering wear-in of brass and/or bronze parts, and this
is fairly usual for GM engines. The viscosity was a bit thin, but this didn't hurt anything. No signs of coolant, moisture,
or gasoline contamination found. Try 5K miles on the next fill. Copper should drop nicely. Looking okay so far.

MI/HR on Oil 3,010
MI/HR on Unit 14,750
Make Up Oil Added 0 QTS.
ALUMINUM 5
CHROMIUM 2
IRON 10
COPPER 59
LEAD 1
TIN 0
MOLYBDENUM 108
NICKEL 0
MANGANESE 1
SILVER 0
TITANIUM 0
POTASSIUM 2
BORON 15
SILICON 9
SODIUM 13
CALCIUM 1917
MAGNESIUM 20
PHOSPHORUS 646
ZINC 840
BARIUM 0

SUS Viscosity @ 210°F 53.6 - - 56-63
cSt Viscosity @ 100°C 8.35 - - 9.1-11.3
Flashpoint in °F 395 - - >365
Fuel % Antifreeze % 0.0 - - 0.0
Water % 0.0 - - Insolubles % 0.3 - -
Bought the car used from a buick dealer in Oct.2008 with 10,700 miles. Dealer did oil/filter change for me using Bulk Shell 5w-30 when I picked it up.I mainly do 60% city driving less then 15 miles per day. Two days before recent oil change I drove 600 miles from PA to Vermont in two days for ski trip. Car was loaded to the hilt. Avg 72 MPH on trip. OLM said 52% life remaining day of change.

I now switched to KENDALL GT-1 High Performance Synthetic Blend Motor Oil,with a firestone filter..had a coupon for a Firestone 12.99 oil/filter change ...took 5 Qts.

What do you oil guys think???

Last edited:
No TBN, but the wear numbers are so low I doubt the oil was anywhere near done.

I think I'm pretty impressed with both the engine (which I would expect) and the oil (which is a pleasant surprise).

It did shear a lot, I'm not a GM guy but I assume this engine has a timing chain? Or do these just shear oil a lot? Really, though, mid 8's is no big deal for a 5w-30.

I'd run this or the Kendall out further, 5000 seems right, or ~20% left on your oil life monitor.

I thought/heard these 3.8 v-6 are easy on oil, suprised sheared down out of 30 range in only 3k miles. Also suprised knowing this they suggested to go nearly 2x as long next time on oil that thin. Copper from gasket/sealant, valve guides?, tensioner/guide on timing chain?, bearing coating?, what are other possible sources of it. Go it at 10k, so allready mostly wore in, still some to go possible cause of shearing. May be that shell and engine not good match, I would have tried something else too.

If a GM product doesn't have a Head Gasket the report is going to be typically boring except for high iron (yours is decent) and high copper (yours is typical = OK). Oil sheared down to a 20 wt. ? ..who cares. Let me be the first here to say you could have gone way further. Looks like you can trust the OLM

Going to go out on a bit of a limb here and say this ISN'T Shell dino, but is actually Havoline. Shell oils in general use more Boron than Moly; and have no Mag. detergents in them.

Havoline, however, uses an add-pack that looks EXACTLY like this. Doesn't really matter; both are great oils!

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Going to go out on a bit of a limb here and say this ISN'T Shell dino, but is actually Havoline. Shell oils in general use more Boron than Moly; and have no Mag. detergents in them.

Havoline, however, uses an add-pack that looks EXACTLY like this. Doesn't really matter; both are great oils!

You might be on to something! Plus, the Havoline starts out fairly thin for a 30 weight, which would help explain the low viscosity for this sample.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Originally Posted By: addyguy

You might be on to something! Plus, the Havoline starts out fairly thin for a 30 weight, which would help explain the low viscosity for this sample.

Ding Ding Ding!!! Formula Shell VOAs show 80-90ppm of boron. Regardless, once the break in metals settle down I'd be comfortable following the OLM down to the neighborhood of 10% for your OCIs. Nice vehicle.

Just to let you know I have called to re confirm from the dealer I purchased the car from, that the only oil they have used in the last 3 years was all shell products. and I checked the slip they gave me and it does indeed say shell formula 5w-30 ..

Formula Shell seems to be a great value.

I've been running this oil in a 2003 Chevy Trailblazer EXT since new and the engine is clean looking into the oil cap....the vehicle is too heavy for my jack stands so it gets serviced at the local shop and they feature this oil.

Have had some experience servicing the 3.8 GM, both generation one and the newer, stiffer block that is in your car. They typically run forever on most anything slippery if it is changed regularly.

And the Kendall you've switched to is, of course, a kissing cousin to Motorcraft(both Conoco-Phillips products) beloved by all of us in the Ford/Lincoln-Mercury business. Well, not really. We never get to do any real engine work on gasoline burners because a steady diet of those oils will take the vehicles way into six digit miles with zero consumption.

Good choice in vehicles, but you'll get tired of it long before you can wear it out!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back