shelf life

Status
Not open for further replies.
10yrs ago I had a Dodge Town and Country van. I have a left over filter on the shelf. Mopar 5281090. I got another Dodge now. A 2001 Dakota with the 4.7 92,000miles. Going to do a light flush with some MMO and short oil change. Maybe do 2 1000 mile changes just to try to clean out any possible sludge. the 1st change with the MMO. The 2nd change without. Now the 4.7 takes the 5281090 filter. Is it safe to use that 10yr old filter or should I throw it.

10 years is a long time for a cellulose based media. Depends on how and where it's been stored. If stored inside in dry environment, could be ok to use. If in doubt, for the cost of a new one not sure it's worth it.

Not saying you can or can't use it, just that the price of a filter is so cheap, just buy a new one.

Originally Posted By: Sayjac
10 years is a long time for a cellulose based media. Depends on how and where it's been stored. If stored inside in dry environment, could be ok to use. If in doubt, for the cost of a new one not sure it's worth it.

This is what I was going to say.
It could be perfectly fine for a short run, or it may start to fall apart (probably not though).

I have a few cellulose blend filters that will be 6-8 years old by the time I use them, and I plan on using them for 5000 mile intervals. They are stored in the house, inside a sealed plastic bag.
I have read several places that if you see any rust on the baseplate, the interior is probably shot as well. No idea how accurate that is though.

Otherwise, a $4 Fram PH16 would be just fine for a short (and any other non-extended) oil change.

Paper-media could be dry-rotted. Could be weak enough, so oil pressure tears it-up.
I won't use paper-media oil filters over 4-5 years old. I am not a gambler and they are too cheap to gamble on.

Originally Posted By: jacobsond
10yrs ago I had a Dodge Town and Country van. I have a left over filter on the shelf. Mopar 5281090. I got another Dodge now. A 2001 Dakota with the 4.7 92,000miles. Going to do a light flush with some MMO and short oil change. Maybe do 2 1000 mile changes just to try to clean out any possible sludge. the 1st change with the MMO. The 2nd change without. Now the 4.7 takes the 5281090 filter. Is it safe to use that 10yr old filter or should I throw it.

I wouldn’t … they are just too cheap to take risks …

If it has been kept indoor (climate controlled) you're probably fine. I'd use it. I have bought filters by the case for a vehicle, so by the end they were 5-6 years old. Granted, that isn't 10 years, but they worked fine for my 6 month/7500 mile intervals. I always keep mine inside to avoid rusting etc.

YMMV.

If you are doing ( 2 )one thousand mile oil changes why not use it on the first change since you feel the motor needs a little cleaning. If you don't have any dash lights come on and if you don't hear any weird noises you should be ok. That is what I would do but I am only a self-appointed expert which means absolutely nothing other than trying to utilize common sense.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back