Shearing = shift quality degradation... ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Synthetic oils tend to shear less than conventional oils. But all oils will eventually shear down after enough mileage. I have not noticed a significant degradation in shift quality over an oil run, but I ride dirt only so all the bouncing and banging around (and noise) probably mask it well.

When I ride my bikes, I notice the transmission shifts better when the oil is still relatively cold while still warming up. So IMO, shifting quality is somewhat dependent on the viscosity. That would also explain why shifting quality goes down as the oil gets miles on it from shearing that causes a drop in viscosity.

Originally Posted By: webfors
Originally Posted By: jeff78
Originally Posted By: Brian553
I assume thats the synthetic valvoline 4t 20w50?
Found some of that at Wal-Mart and picked up a quart, but now I can't find any more of it. I suspected that would be a great oil.

You can order it online and either have them ship to your home (free shipping over $35), or to your local Walmart for pickup.

That's what I did. I ordered online and had it shipped to the Walmart across the border. $4.44/quart.

Yup, It was my go to oil on my Vstar 1300, Conventional 4 stroke Valvoline 20/50, shift quality held up best. Posted a couple UOAs on here back around 2012/13 maybe 11 too.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: alarmguy
Originally Posted By: webfors
Originally Posted By: jeff78
Originally Posted By: Brian553
I assume thats the synthetic valvoline 4t 20w50?
Found some of that at Wal-Mart and picked up a quart, but now I can't find any more of it. I suspected that would be a great oil.

You can order it online and either have them ship to your home (free shipping over $35), or to your local Walmart for pickup.

That's what I did. I ordered online and had it shipped to the Walmart across the border. $4.44/quart.

Yup, It was my go to oil on my Vstar 1300, Conventional 4 stroke Valvoline 20/50, shift quality held up best. Posted a couple UOAs on here back around 2012/13 maybe 11 too.

If you can find those UOA links I would appreciate it.

I will be pulling a UOA on this first OCI of the oil. I'm curious on the level of shearing.

This is my favourite oil so far. The shift quality is excellent, even after 1000KMs. It will be interesting to see if the shift quality holds up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back