Shearing = shift quality degradation... ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: SlipperyPete
The only two oils I have used that don't degrade shifting during an OCI are Motul 7100 and Maxima Extra 4. Rotella 15w40 has started out notchy in three bikes in which I have tried it.

Esters...?

Originally Posted By: racin4ds
Originally Posted By: Panos
That's also my conclusion after reading and hearing so many reporting shifting quality difference. At the same time , very few people I know or post here seem to use the motul brand.

Problem with Motul is cost and availability. I'd try it if it wasn't $20/quart and only at select bike shops.

motul 5100 cost me 7,5 euros per liter in 5 liter jug. That's about 10usd .7100 costs about 30% higher

Originally Posted By: SlipperyPete
The only two oils I have used that don't degrade shifting during an OCI are Motul 7100 and Maxima Extra 4. Rotella 15w40 has started out notchy in three bikes in which I have tried it.

See, now, I would think off of this (and other UOA) that the shift quality is mostly driven by shift technique and the total AW components in the oil blend.
Esters contribute to this end too, technically--even if they are the base stock (i.e. not add pack) in those.

Valvoline VR1 SAE 40. Monograde = no VII's = nothing to shear. It's a lifetime oil! But seriously, I overran one of my OCI's because I simply forgot about it due to shifting staying excellent.

However, it doesn't carry JASO MA/MA2 certification and I wouldn't advise trying to do a sub-freezing start with a sump full of it.

Today I swapped out the RT6 for Valvoline 4T 20w50. I'll keep you posted on the shift quality and potential performance impact of a thicker oil.

I noticed something strange when warming the bike up with the RT6... I was watching the oil level window and noticed a considerable amount of froth/foam floating above the oil. To be fair, it's the first time I paid attention so any oil could be doing the same. Anyone notice that before?

I've used the Valvoline 10W40 M/C oil in the Hayabusa and never recall seeing any foaming or anything strange looking in the sight glass.

Looking forward to your comments on how the Valvoline 20W50 does in your bike.

A couple of hundred KMs with the 20w50. Best shifting of all oils used so far which include RT6, Rotella 15w40 (Triple T), and Suzuki OEM.

I did notice the 20cst when revving. I suspect some good ol' shearing to 15-16cst will take care of that
grin.gif

The engine is also quieter/smoother.

Shifting continues to get better. Put another 150km on it yesterday afternoon.

It shifts so smoothly now that it's hard to know if it shifted until I engage the clutch, or look at my gear indicator.

Did the foaming at start-up go away with the Valvoline?

I have not noticed any foaming with the valvoline. The oil is also clear... it doesn't have the darker gold hue of the RT6.

I assume thats the synthetic valvoline 4t 20w50?
Found some of that at Wal-Mart and picked up a quart, but now I can't find any more of it. I suspected that would be a great oil.

Originally Posted By: Brian553
Found some of that at Wal-Mart and picked up a quart, but now I can't find any more of it. I suspected that would be a great oil.

Dino/conventional.

Originally Posted By: webfors

Dino/conventional.

The "4T" is the full synthetic Valvoline. Valvoline calls the conventional just "4 Stroke".

I've always used the conventional Valvoline M/C oil, but might try the full synthetic next oil change.

You can order it online and either have them ship to your home (free shipping over $35), or to your local Walmart for pickup.

Originally Posted By: jeff78

You can order it online and either have them ship to your home (free shipping over $35), or to your local Walmart for pickup.

That's what I did. I ordered online and had it shipped to the Walmart across the border. $4.44/quart.

That's what I did. I ordered online and had it shipped to the Walmart across the border. $4.44/quart.

You can order on walmart.com and have it shipped to a store in Canada ??
confused.gif

Originally Posted By: Papa Bear

You can order on walmart.com and have it shipped to a store in Canada ??
confused.gif

Shipped to a US store close by.

FYI, I'm up to 800km on the dino 20w50 and shifting has only gotten better.

It will be interesting to see how it holds up. I can't imagine is shearing further than 15cst, considering it started at 20.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back