sharpening mower blades

Status
Not open for further replies.
typically any shop will have a cost with whatever they do. Unless you have a bench stone it is worth bringing it to a place to have it sharpened. There is a local hardware store where I will bring my blades (I have two sets so I can rotate) who will check the balance of the blade and sharpen for $3 a piece.

I get the blades on my two ZTRs sharpened every year before mowing season- whether they need it or not...
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: Oldtom
Can you sharpen a lawnmower blade with an angle grinder?
Sure. I sharpen mine regularly with an angle grinder. No worries. Your grass will thank you.

i use an angle grider to rough in the blade then finish up with a stone wheel on an air grinder. So yes you can absolutely use an angle grinder to sharpen the blades

Last edited:
If the mower has been used lots, I would think the the meat could be getting close to the bone. I have put new blades and old blades side by side, and they can lose a lot of metal over the years. I don't like mowing with a sharpened toothpick, or a blade that could just fly to pieces throwing metal all over the place because of hard use.

Originally Posted By: BigD1
If the mower has been used lots, I would think the the meat could be getting close to the bone. I have put new blades and old blades side by side, and they can lose a lot of metal over the years. I don't like mowing with a sharpened toothpick, or a blade that could just fly to pieces throwing metal all over the place because of hard use.
Oh Yah, The new blades for my sit down were noticeably heavier
grin2.gif

get you a flap disc 40 grit and put it on your 4.5" angle grinder and you will be able to put a nice edge on those rounded bush hog blades your working with. you will be able to actually cut the grass instead of pulling it up.
good luck,
big ed

15 year old blades are REPLACED!! New blades are only $20 to $30.

I keep two sets for everything I own. I keep a sharp spare set on the wall, ready to go.

My local shop gets $6/blade when I bring it to them. They'll do a better job at it than I do too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back