I sharpen mower blades to a near knife sharpness

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: eljefino
Can you explain why a machete has the same profile as a lawnmower blade?
Machetes come with what is known as a courtesy grind, they aren't meant to be used as is. It there to speed up the final sharpening process for the end user.

I had a look at the blades I put on the sit down last spring. The maybe next spring, they'll get a pass over the coarse wheel on the bench grinder. Nothing special. A quick pass then done. I don't think I have ever balanced a blade.

Originally Posted By: AVB
Originally Posted By: eljefino
Can you explain why a machete has the same profile as a lawnmower blade?
Machetes come with what is known as a courtesy grind, they aren't meant to be used as is. It there to speed up the final sharpening process for the end user.

But they have what I understand as "the curb" which is a blunt end about 1/16 high sharpened to 90 degrees on the bottom and nearly 90 on the top... and the bluntness is for whacking the foliage its designed for... as is a lawnmower blade.

Go look at a new blade. They are not razor sharp nor do they have to be to cut properly.Yes, they should be balanced no matter what others suggest. It's very easy so why not do it right.

Last edited:
Since there are so many types of machetes, I am not sure we are talking about the same thing. But my understanding is that the tip of the blade is left blunt so that it doesn't poke though its box in shipping.

In some ways I think a lawn mower blade would be better compared to a scythe than a machete. Mower blades are normally have a chisel grind where machetes have a bevel on both sides.

Last edited:
in the mid 60s i started in a weld shop. hard facing trencher teeth. useing carbide with a torch. and did the same on mower blade latter. but could never know if it was any help. the trouble is after useing carbide you cant resharpen the blade.

Been sharpening mine with a good old bench grinder for years putting on a little sharper edge than what comes on a new blade and the seem to last just as long as when I put on a new set when the air foil's wear out due to all the sandy soil we have around here.

I have Carl Childers sharpen mine. I recon he does a great job at it mmmhuh. Just in case I need to use it on Doyle Hargraves’ head. He also sharpens Kiser blades. Some folks call it a sling blade but Carl calles it a Kiser blade.

I have always made mine into razor blades too (hand file). The mower cuts effortlessly but my lawn is 100% rock and debris free. Haven't noticed any nicks between sharpening.

Originally Posted By: ridgerunner
I have Carl Childers sharpen mine. I recon he does a great job at it mmmhuh. Just in case I need to use it on Doyle Hargraves’ head. He also sharpens Kiser blades. Some folks call it a sling blade but Carl calles it a Kiser blade.

LOL, one of my all time favorite movies. Bet you like mustard on your french fried taters. Gotta go now...wife just made me some biscuits, mmmhuh.

Originally Posted By: artbuc
Originally Posted By: ridgerunner

LOL, one of my all time favorite movies. Bet you like mustard on your french fried taters. Gotta go now...wife just made me some biscuits, mmmhuh.

Sling Blade. Yup one of the best movies evahh! Thank U. Glad someone got it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back