sharpening mower blades

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have 2 MTD mowers that are about 15 years old. They run well, but, the blades have never been sharpened. Needless to say, they are beyond dull and have many dents in the edge. I do not have a belt sander or bench grinder but do own an angle grinder, a set of sawhorses and a set of C clamps. AKA ghetto improvised blade sharpener

Can you sharpen a lawnmower blade with an angle grinder?

Would it be easier to buy new blades? If so, are the new blades factory balanced?

Do mower shops usually sharpen and balance blades for a fee? Thanks in advance for any advice :)

Depending on the specific model, I would probably just buy new blades if they're that beat up.

I would probably want to research the cost of each before deciding. I would look for a small lawnmower repair shop for pricing blade sharpening

There's a little 'sharpening shop' across the street where they sharpen everything from kitchen knives to lawnmower blades.
Costs about 1-2 beers worth. Maybe something like that around you?

I wouldn't pay a shop to sharpen as it would be nearing replacement costs as I have found. Try grinding, you don't have much to lose. You would be amazed with what some filing could even do.I wouldn't worry too much trying to get it perfect and getting the edge flat. The outer inch to inch and a half is the portion that matters most. Just make sure it balanced when done.

Last edited:
I use an angle grinder to sharpen mine and it works great. You do have to mindful that the blades are balanced though. I purchased a few dollar balancer off Ebay for that.

There's nothing difficult about sharpening mower blades-you certainly don't need to pay someone else to do something that simple. If you don't have a bench grinder, just remove the blades, put them in your vise, and put an edge on them with your angle grinder. They don't have to be razor sharp; just a good clean edge with no chips is all you need. Keep the bevel roughly the same as it is now, and keep the grinder moving so you don't burn the mower blade. Then put a nail in the wall and make sure the blade is balanced.

I put a set of freshly sharpened blades on my mower almost every time I use it. I keep 2 sets of blades, and while I'm not mowing I take a few minutes and clean up the edge on the blades that aren't on the mower, and then swap those on before I mow-even on my 757 it only takes a couple minutes. Your lawn will thank you for cutting instead of bludgeoning it.

Mower blades are tempered. When grinding it is easy to heat them enough to change the color to blue, this is called burning the edge. This destroys the temper. That part will get dull. There are several ways to prevent this. You can grind slowly so they stay cool. This will take a long time. You can cool with water often. Messy. I used compressed air blown on right where I grind so besides a grinder I have a healthy air compressor.

I have accidentally burned a spot on a blade, used it and observed that spot gets dull very quickly.

Just buy a new blade, from a quality source, like Oregon or someone.

Rod

Your set up will be fine.
There is nothing magic about sharpening mower blades. They do not have to be super sharp, just a good bevel edge.
There is no need to buy another set or pay someone to do it.
If you can change oil in your auto, you can sharpen blades used to cut the grass

You said 2 mowers so that could be 2,or 4 that need sharpening. I would sharpen with the angle grinder and, as said do it slooly and dip in water frequently so you don't loose the temper. Ed

15 years! Wow. Definitely get a new one.

I just bought a second set of blades for my late model Honda which has two blades. They we're approximately $15 each. My shop charges $7.50 to sharpen. So, I have two sets of sharp blades and will do half the season then change.

Originally Posted By: Indydriver
15 years! Wow. Definitely get a new one.

I just bought a second set of blades for my late model Honda which has two blades. They we're approximately $15 each. My shop charges $7.50 to sharpen. So, I have two sets of sharp blades and will do half the season then change.

Unless he hit a huge rock, I'm sure the blade can be sharpened just fine, unless the hi lifts are worn down too thin.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
There's nothing difficult about sharpening mower blades-you certainly don't need to pay someone else to do something that simple. If you don't have a bench grinder, just remove the blades, put them in your vise, and put an edge on them with your angle grinder. They don't have to be razor sharp; just a good clean edge with no chips is all you need. Keep the bevel roughly the same as it is now, and keep the grinder moving so you don't burn the mower blade. Then put a nail in the wall and make sure the blade is balanced.

This. I've done it like this for many years and never had a problem.

I prefer an angle grinder over a bench grinder. Either will do the job. But I'd get a vise to make it easier, what you save each time will pay for a vise.

Last edited:
If you can find this type of blade to fit your mower I think you will like it.

detail_oep_G6.jpg

I clamp the blade to a heavy table and hit it with a angle grinder. As others have said, take it slow so as not to overheat the edge.

If they are not too banged up and need replacing ,I just stick them in a vise and use an flat file on them. I insert a round object(nail,pencil,phillips screwdriver) in the center hole to see if they are balanced. The blade should be horizontal straight across when doing so. If not you have to file off more on the side that sticks up.

Originally Posted By: Jimkobb
If they are not too banged up and need replacing ,I just stick them in a vise and use an flat file on them. I insert a round object(nail,pencil,phillips screwdriver) in the center hole to see if they are balanced. The blade should be horizontal straight across when doing so. If not you have to file off more on the side that sticks up.

The OP said that they are over 15yrs old. I would think if he wanted to get a good arm workout, then yeah, file an edge on them. LOL I would think that the edge on his blades are completely round, no angle on them anymore so a grinder would be the best route.

I usually just use a file on them in a vise if they are not too beat up, balance on a nail and file the heavy side a bit till it levels, believe it or not you can get a decent balance this way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back