Shake before serving?

Status
Not open for further replies.
No shaking done here,just pour in and be done!

banana2.gif

Originally Posted By: Mr_Incredible
I always kill a chicken over my oil change goods.

Can't hurt. Might help.

Don't forget to wave it over your head while standing on one leg too!

Originally Posted By: DemoFly
If they fell out of suspension they won't go back into suspension.

If the particles are big enough to be seen, they will get caught by the filter
That is the same as my thinking.

My ex's car has over 180,000 miles on it. That works out to 36 oil changes. Never shaken or stirred oil. Maybe it will only last 300,000 miles instead of 400,000.

The only oils I've ever seen with deposits on the bottom are always dinos. The only synth I ever saw deposits in was Mobil 1 75W90 GL5 gear oil. It had a crust on the bottom that wouldn't break up and mix in. Synth motor oils though,I've never seen any deposits whatsoever. I have a 6-8 year old half quart of Amsoil AGL that sat undisturbed all those years,and when I recently found it,there were no deposits at all,still looked perfect.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Shaking puts a lot of air into the oil and prob causes more problems than the imaginary lack of additives.

I haven't noticed that, as I watch it pour through the funnel. Even if it did, buy the time you're finished pouring in the oil and cleaning up, any tiny amount of air you might have introduced will be out before you start your engine. Or if you're anal and overly concerned shake the oil the day before you plan on changing it.

Shaking puts a lot of air into the oil and prob causes more problems than the imaginary lack of additives.

How so???

By the time the oil has flowed back to the pan, probably 95% of any bubbles will have been scrubbed away...

Hard to say who's imaginary problem is worse in this case. The tiny bit of air from shaking a bottle is negligible.

Last edited:
The first time I used PU I looked inside the container (5 qt.) after I poured it into the engine. There was a dark film at the bottom of the container. Could it have been the add pack?
21.gif

I now shake ALL containers, including qts., prior to pouring.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: morepwr
Originally Posted By: Mr_Incredible
I always kill a chicken over my oil change goods.

Can't hurt. Might help.

Don't forget to wave it over your head while standing on one leg too!

What if it's a 55 gallon drum?
shocked2.gif

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
The first time I used PU I looked inside the container (5 qt.) after I poured it into the engine. There was a dark film at the bottom of the container. Could it have been the add pack?
21.gif

I now shake ALL containers, including qts., prior to pouring.
thumbsup2.gif

I had something like that happen with a case of PP I bought (I'd forgotten about it). After I poured the first quart,there was a gray crust covering the bottom of the bottle. I went in our other car and bought some M1,came home,re-drained my car,and filled it with the M1. Sopus sent me a refund check for the cost of the case.

i store them upside down, as mentioned in a previous post--but if you get a chance to look at the (older) QS syn bottles they usually have some crud at the bottom in the corners--which i shake and shake till it's gone. I think many of you may be missing the show as it's not a clear bottle you are looking at

Used to.
Now... I get the wife to shake 1st bottle for about a minute. Then I'll pour while she shakes the next and so on. Sometimes I tell her "harder" and its kind of fun to watch because she thinks its important. At least I tell her it is.

Originally Posted By: Errtt
Used to.
Now... I get the wife to shake 1st bottle for about a minute. Then I'll pour while she shakes the next and so on. Sometimes I tell her "harder" and its kind of fun to watch because she thinks its important. At least I tell her it is.

Haha!

Originally Posted By: Errtt
Used to.

You should get her that shake weight thing, tell her it'll get those oil shaking muscles in shape

Originally Posted By: tom slick
Just store you bottles upside down. Then the precious additives will then settle to the cap of the bottle and thus come out first when pouring oil into the engine.

Or when it settles in the cap they get thrown away with the cap
33.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back