Reusable Oil Storage Container

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

First time posting here! I want to ask you guys about reusing a single 1 qt (or liter) oil container. I often have to keep an emergency 1L bottle of oil in my trunk due to an oil pan gasket leak in my car (it's far cheaper to add a liter of oil every 1,500 miles than pay $1,000 to drop the subframe and replace the gasket).

I use Motul 8100 x-cess 5W-40, and it is definitely cheaper to buy in a 5L jug than a 1L bottle. I would prefer to just keep 1L in my trunk so I only have to dump 1L vs 5L every six months (as it's been sitting in a hot trunk). Yes, I know the best solution is to only pack the 5L jug on long trips, but I would simply forget to do this.

So, here's my question - is it possible to re-use a 1L oil container? If so, would I need to clean it before refilling (and how)? Or would even a clean reused container just simply ruin the oil?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Sure it's okay to reuse a container with the same type of fluid. Just refill from your five quart jug.

The bigger question might be why are you putting an expensive oil into a engine that loses a quart every 1500 miles? I would consider a less expensive brand. What make, model and year is this vehicle?

Originally Posted by BamaE92
So, here's my question - is it possible to re-use a 1L oil container?

Yes.

If so, would I need to clean it before refilling (and how)? Or would even a clean reused container just simply ruin the oil?

Thanks in advance for your help!

You're refilling an oil bottle with oil. Where is the issue? When you use some, refill when you get home. No need to clean it, it has oil in it already.

FWIW I kept the same quart bottle in my trunk for years. The labels wore off, the corners got dinged and the cap eventually wouldn't seal.

Oh and
welcome2.gif

I do it all the time. I keep it wrapped in 2 shopping bags, with a paper towel in there. It has never leaked though.

Rod

Originally Posted by PimTac
Sure it's okay to reuse a container with the same type of fluid. Just refill from your five quart jug.

The bigger question might be why are you putting an expensive oil into a engine that loses a quart every 1500 miles? I would consider a less expensive brand. What make, model and year is this vehicle?

My car is a 2007 BMW 335i. I track this car occasionally, so that's why I use Motul.

I also hope to never sell this car (I saved up for it since I was a kid, bought it new and flew to Germany to pick it up from BMW, drove it on the Autobahn, etc....yes I'm emotionally attached). So, I want to use the highest quality oil....to keep my needy N54 engine running as long as possible.

Originally Posted by JLTD
You're refilling an oil bottle with oil. Where is the issue? When you use some, refill when you get home. No need to clean it, it has oil in it already.

FWIW I kept the same quart bottle in my trunk for years. The labels wore off, the corners got dinged and the cap eventually wouldn't seal.

Oh and
welcome2.gif

Yes, your logic makes sense. I was just wondering if the older oil exposed to the heat would "contaminate" the newer oil (even if the older oil is in VERY small quantities only lining the container). And thanks for the welcome!
11.gif

I wouldn't worry about it. There might be some slight mixing of the residual oil, but I wouldn't worry about it compared to going to a different motor oil for an oil change. The most important thing is to keep the cap sealed tight. I've found that often oil doesn't exactly stay in the bottle given that most motor oil bottles have hard caps that don't necessarily seal tight.

The other thing is that I've found that certain types of oil where some of it clings to the top of the cap and then leaks through the imperfect seal. Either that or it's migrating up the walls of the bottle. I keep a dishpan in my car that I load with stuff that could conceivably leak.

I have two quart bottles in my trunk that get knocked over all the time. They have never leaked, I try to put them in places where they stand up but they always get knocked over.

I saw some City Star at a gas station once here, I wish I had grabbed some quarts of that just to have to bottles to decant 5Ls into.

I keep a qt of oil in my engine compartment on my truck. I use about a qt every 1500 miles also.
I have had to replace the bottle because I was worried about the bottle getting brittle after a few years under the hood, but refilled it often from larger containers. I now have enough "new" qt bottles that I don't refill anymore, but would have no concerns doing it again.

Originally Posted by maxdustington
I have two quart bottles in my trunk that get knocked over all the time. They have never leaked, I try to put them in places where they stand up but they always get knocked over.

I saw some City Star at a gas station once here, I wish I had grabbed some quarts of that just to have to bottles to decant 5Ls into.

They sell those?

I would prefer to just keep 1L in my trunk so I only have to dump 1L vs 5L every six months (as it's been sitting in a hot trunk).

Not an issue. Oil sitting sealed in a hot trunk or a little lining a container you refill, is not an issue. That level of heat might be harmful to a puppy but oil not so much. Don't keep a puppy in your trunk.
33.gif

Looks like the consensus is that this isn't a big deal (and pleasantly surprised to hear that the heat probably won't significantly impact the oil in the 5L jug as well....I guess as long as I use it for the next oil change).

I'll plan on either refilling the 1L bottle, or just keeping the entire 5L jug sealed and secured in the trunk.

Originally Posted by Dave9
Don't keep a puppy in your trunk.
33.gif

Duly noted.
lol.gif

Yes, your logic makes sense. I was just wondering if the older oil exposed to the heat would "contaminate" the newer oil (even if the older oil is in VERY small quantities only lining the container). And thanks for the welcome!
11.gif

Older in the bottle? Nope. First, minuscule quantity, second it's already been subjected to heating and cooling cycles before you open a fresh bottle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back