Shake before serving?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe I'm being a bit like one of those BITOG paranoid people, but does anybody shake their oil jugs before dumping them into an engine? The way I see it, all the add packs and chemicals "could" sink to the bottom a lot like the pulp in your orange juice containers. And if that happened, I'd worry about a lot of it being left in the container on the very bottom. Obviously your engine isn't going to melt or suddenly implode, but if there is more you can do for it, why not? Heck your paid for the add packs. lol

And who has time to let the quart dump for 5 minutes and let it all run out?
27.gif

I shook oil for the first time with my last OC. First time using PYB and I've read about people seeing additive fallout left behind in the bottom of empty jugs so I shook it up quick before I poured it. Looked into the bottom when I was done and there was absolutely zero content left behind. Maybe there was nothing at the bottom in the first place but it takes only a few seconds to shake and be sure. I'll keep doing it now regardless of oil brand.

Last edited:
I always shake oil before use.

ATF I shake 2 days before use so the air bubbles have time to bleed out of the fluid.

Brake fluid I don't shake, I "turn" gently on multiple axis a few times, some BF such as Honda DOT 3 has some orange lubricant added it seems.

I don't want air bubbles in brake fluid!!

Last edited:
I do, but also to gauge the effective viscosity through sloshability.

I have a clean-up routine that allows each of four quarts good drain time. One quart when I'm wiping my frame spillage with a rag, another when I'm dumping the drain pan into a jug, a 3rd when I'm wiping off my tools...

Originally Posted By: eljefino
I do, but also to gauge the effective viscosity through sloshability.

I have a clean-up routine that allows each of four quarts good drain time. One quart when I'm wiping my frame spillage with a rag, another when I'm dumping the drain pan into a jug, a 3rd when I'm wiping off my tools...

I have a similar routine which assures good drain time of each oil bottle.

========================

I always kill a chicken over my oil change goods.

Can't hurt. Might help.

========================

If your not shaking it your not doing it right!

========================

Over this side of the pond, we love a good Yank.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: cheesepuffs
I shook oil for the first time with my last OC. First time using PYB and I've read about people seeing additive fallout left behind in the bottom of empty jugs so I shook it up quick before I poured it. Looked into the bottom when I was done and there was absolutely zero content left behind. Maybe there was nothing at the bottom in the first place but it takes only a few seconds to shake and be sure. I'll keep doing it now regardless of oil brand.

You've a real talent there, you should write one of those soap-powder ads.

Sounds like it's time for an empirical test, with pictures, in true BITOG style.

I'm a shaker.

Last edited:
I should try cleaning my tools next time.. I'm betting my tool box will stay cleaner.
33.gif

May be truth to the shake back in the day, The remaining drippies ( cup or so) always seemed to lube well when topping off a few thousand mile into the OC. Maybe there was concentrated goodies in the botton in the days of Pennzoil Z7 and big moly.

After I buy the oil and toss it in the back of the truck, I figure it's shaken enough...

If it's been around a year or more I'll probably kick it around a little, but never on fresh from the store(see above)...

Great guys, thanks one more thing to be OCD about. I wasn't a shaker, not because I don't agree, but because I didn't think about it.. Starting from this moment out I am now a shaker..
crazy.gif

Last edited:
If they fell out of suspension they won't go back into suspension.

If the particles are big enough to be seen, they will get caught by the filter and I wouldn't want something that big and abrasive in my engine.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back