SF vs San Antonio

Status
Not open for further replies.
Michael, we live in a different place.
Don't you and I know it.
Our little 1200 sq ft home in Los Gatos, built in 1962, with average remodeling, will sell for close to $2M even in today's declining market.

As they say, you don't buy the home, you buy the zip-code.
I flat out love it here. The land of opportunity!

And congrats on your new home!

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Michael, we live in a different place.
Don't you and I know it.
Our little 1200 sq ft home in Los Gatos, built in 1962, with average remodeling, will sell for close to $2M even in today's declining market.

As they say, you don't buy the home, you buy the zip-code.

And congrats on your new home!

Agreed and thank you.

The article above clearly illustrates that you are buying location. The home itself has some relevance, but location is still key.

For a small percentage unfortunately. Glad it's working out for you!

I'm surrounded by Cali people who are cashing out their accidental real estate windfall there and coming here and buying a new 1600+ sq. ft. house on a nice lot for under $350k and becoming new millionaires with the leftover cash I guess.

Not so good for working people there.

I am 66 years old I was born and raised on the Peninsula . My I grew up in Millbrae and as an adult lived in San Bruno. There are well paying jobs in the bay area , always was , always will be lots of opportunity. I moved out of the Bay area in 2000.

You have to be affluent or inherit a house to afford to live in California.

Bragging about living in California and being stuck in a rent controlled shack is not good.

Wow, what a shocker. The most expensive state in the continental US compared to # 6 state in the Con US, who would have guessed.
In other news, gas is also more expensive in California than Texas.

Forget price. Where would you rather live? If California was so wonderful, why are so many leaving? This tells you all you need to know.

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/aus...moving-truck-from-ca-to-tx-than-reverse/

"The Golden State is, "hemorrhaging population". The cost of a one-way U-Haul from California to Texas, is more than 300 percent the cost the other way around."

There are homes like this going up left and right all over here. Most are being bought by Californians cashing out of their tiny, 60 year old, overpriced stink holes for some actual value... Not to mention better living.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1011-Corte-Cabrillo-Lake-Havasu-City-AZ-86406/104004841_zpid/

Originally Posted by AZjeff

I'm surrounded by Cali people who are cashing out their accidental real estate

I am not sure it is totally accidental, but your point is well taken.
No one predicted the technology explosion that started in the 1970's and continues today.
My parents bought their home in late '69 for $29K I believe.
It sold for $1.9M a few months ago; I expected more but the market is slowing. It is walking distance to a huge Kaiser and the Apple Spaceship.

No one could have predicted FANG and the others. Or they woulda bought stock and all the real estate they could lay their hands on.
IMO, this is the place to be.
Where else can you make every mistake in the book, get lucky and change, get 1st degree at 40 (paid by employers) and wind up sitting on a gold mine?

CA by itself is the world's 5th largest economy. It ain't that hard to figure out.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Mr Nice

Bragging about living in California and being stuck in a rent controlled shack is not good.

Depends where you live in Ca, how one with knowledge took advantage of decades and decades of overall rising prices and yes a good paying job helps as it does everywhere. Of course many people like my parents bought a nice home in the 50's for $18,000 that is now worth nearly 1 million but even then they chose wisely to buy in a nice area looking what the area might be like down the road. On the other hand for another example, my middle son and his wife...married 5 years..both pharmacists just bought a beautiful 2900 sq ft home near Encinitas for $850,000 after selling their smaller home in the same area for $450,000...at a decent "profit".. Not a rent controlled shack..Easily affordable for them...and with no parental help.Their other house sold in under 20 days. They don't brag about where they live although it is a beautiful home in a great area..15 minutes from beautiful beaches. This son went to university out of state and his wife is from another state. They could live anywhere in the US but choose this area. They work hard and are enjoying their lives as are my other sons who have similar situations and live in the same area...one a attorney, one a national software sales director. They haven't matched Dad and Moms home though LOL...Just a tweak at the hate California, all successful residents just luck out crowd...

Funny how some from states that Californians who sold their homes and have a pocket full of cash, complain/take cheap shots about/at them and the rising prices they might cause..but have no problem raking in the extra money on their end when they sell to Californians...

Born and raised here. Many things wrong here and yes IMO it is going in the wrong direction..but as mentioned above..You work hard, choose wisely and the rewards still can be great on many different levels. If someday California changes enough where I can no longer enjoy it..I might just be your neighbor..Just don't hate me for paying cash for my home

Originally Posted by Mr Nice

Beyond that you move to an expensive locale for a job and the pay scale supports the move, otherwise you are not asking enough money.

Originally Posted by blupupher
Wow, what a shocker. The most expensive state in the continental US compared to # 6 state in the Con US, who would have guessed.

What about TAX(ES)?

Originally Posted by JMJNet
Originally Posted by blupupher

What about TAX(ES)?

CA income tax is 10%
Property tax is based on purchase price, with some caveats.
Paying taxes is good cuz it means you are making money.

As a native Californian i'll be moving out when retirement time comes around, fed up with this place, the Dems have run it into the ground.

Property tax is based on purchase price, with some caveats.

don't forget local and county taxes. Berkeley and Oakland are up there.

Originally Posted by Malo83
As a native Californian i'll be moving out when retirement time comes around, fed up with this place, the Dems have run it into the ground.

I agree but left off my "beefs" in detail for fear of the thread being shut down for political reasons...

Originally Posted by AZjeff

I'm surrounded by Cali people who are cashing out their accidental real estate

IMO, this is the place to be.
CA by itself is the world's 5th largest economy. It ain't that hard to figure out.

For most, not so much. Most are getting pushed out of the Bay area and have Hellish commutes. For those that bought their homes before 1985 great. For others, not so much. $3000 for a two bedroom apartment. What's the mortgage on the $1.9 million 1950s bungalow? The property taxes alone are 2k a month? DMV fees of $400+, taxes are outrageous, energy and fuel costs are the highest in the nation, and most are living paycheck to paycheck. More and more businesses are leaving the state. More people are cashing out and leaving. For a state that is so reliant on income taxes to fill it's state coffers, what will happen as all these tax dollars have left the state?

Originally Posted by Malo83

+2

I'm interviewing out of state now....

If I could sell my house for $2M, I'd sell it tomorrow and move to Arizona or Oregon or Utah or Nevada. I was in central Oregon last week. Beautiful there. Great people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back