Sewer Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sewer is clear again and we don't need to excavate--yet. Also is clay pipe and in decent shape but for the following.

Basically the problem is that my pipe is shifted at the main line (which is roughly 80 feet out) so there is a small dam blocking the bottom of my pipe, not much of the total circle (1.5 inch at most), then there are three thumb sized roots coming down from above through the lead between my pipe and the main line. Pretty clear around it though. We flushed and watched the slug of water cascade down into the main line. Only other thing is a slight separation in one spot (maybe where the roots got in as not too far down), and a belly about 35 feet out that has maybe 1.5 inch standing water.

City came out and viewed the root and said that the lead in was property owner's responsibility in my town, but most places the city takes care of. He'll come out and check the main sewer if it backs again just to rule out possibility of main line being clogged.

Both said nothing but toilet paper down the drain. No tissue, no nothing else, that could hang up on the lip or root and it may be fine. Found out wife and kids flush those "flushable wipes" and that is not good; they'll quit, so maybe this will work. But it's a maddening waiting game, when will it clog again, or will it. Otherwise, its a very expensive excavation job and if they excavate, I want to line it so I don't have root problems anymore.

Can I assume that you've removed the root "bulbs" intruding into the pipe? They will continue to grow ..or so I was told by my plumber who did the clean out. I rented the camera myself when he thought that it was a dig situation. I found no big roots ..just angel hair in a bird's nest.

The roots exist at the connection to the main line. They come down through the tap (must be through the top as not in the line) into the main line. Sewer guy said his cutter would not do those roots, but there is a bigger cutter might do it. I am calling the two companies the city guy said were really good and discuss with them, see what they advise.

The camera was a blast. Loved watching it go down the sewer. Wish I had thought to photograph his viewing screen with the digital camera.

That camera setup probably had a tap for recording. The specialty outfits do industrial/commercial surveys and hand the owner the tape with audio commentary. They have foot counters that are on the screen. Those are track'd cameras (some of them). My rental had a capped video out feed. It ran me $120/day ..but seeing as I was looking at (potentially) $10k+ ..it was an expense that I could not afford not to incur.

He said his camera did not have a recording feature. So $120 a day for a sewer camera? Hope they are a LOT cheaper around my area. Wish I could have left the camera in so I could watch live action!

Originally Posted By: Oldmoparguy1
Some people have strange hobbies............
That and watching oil drain from the crankcase.
crazy2.gif

Originally Posted By: TallPaul
Originally Posted By: Oldmoparguy1
Some people have strange hobbies............
That and watching oil drain from the crankcase.
crazy2.gif

That's not a hobby, that a pleasure....
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Essential life need...
I especially liked the old days (before California decided that used motor oil may cause cancer) when you would let the used oil run down your hand and arm (didn't change it blazing hot) for sheer pleasure.

So back to sewers, I am getting some estimates for repair jobs as I suspect this will be plugging again in short order. Today I got an estimate of $3500 which would cover replacing the tap and connection to the sewer (maybe that is same as tap?), adding a 6" cleanout a few feet back from the tap, which can be reamed towards the house but also towards the main line. He would do this, including permits, for $3500. He will throw in sliplining the entire line (about 70 to 80 feet), which would eliminate my root problem along the line, for only $200 more, and including removing the belly (sag). He measured the sewer in the neighbor's yard. The bottom of the main line (a 12" line according to the city) was 12 feet below grade. Since I am downstream he would have to dig a hole about 12.5 feet deep. Soil in my area that they have encountered is neither clay nor sand, but a mix, which he says is good for easy digging yet stability. Cold temps also add stability. Happens, sewer is centered directly on the fence line (or I should say vice versa).
The cleanout would be handy for the motorhome, though I would have to dump into a transfer tank then dump the tank into the cleanout.

Wife doesn't want to spend the money (worse yet doesn't want any of the trees removed, which depends on the tap location). I don't want to spend the money (especially after the last 6+ months of Wall Street). But to me it is a no brainer. Broken sewer line=recurring problems. Fix it and get on with life. Will have to wait until it gets bad again, then wife may run with it.

Sewer is still working fine and all I am doing is using RV toilet paper (Scott 1000) and not throwing other stuff down the sewer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back