Sewer Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll be bankrupt when mine heads this way ..if I can't get the hammer PCV thing to go. The pipe exits the back of my house ..goes under my pad built two story garage apartment ..then hits the alley.

A good chunk of crawl space kitchen is over it. My house is 100 years+
shocked2.gif
Neighbor needed it a few years ago. $10k.

I mean, I can't afford NOT to do it ..but it's going to hurt major.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
The pipe exits the back of my house ..goes under my pad built two story garage apartment

How did you get approval to build a structure on a sewer line? Around here, you would likely have to remove the structure :no-no:.

At least plumbers are inexpensive around here. I replaced my Orangeburg a couple of years ago. A sixty foot or so run across my front yard cost $800 to dig up and remove what was left of the Orangeburg (it was almost completely collapsed) and replace with PVC with clean outs at the house and the property line. The sewer line was on the far side of the street, but the city pays to dig up and replace the street.

I think it cost like $100 to replace all the cast iron under the house with PVC.

I do have several plumbers as clients, so maybe they gave me a better deal
cool.gif

Next door neighbor says he has a manhole at the back fence. If there is a manhole, would suspect a decent sized line.

Void under bathroom suggests hole somewhere close to house where soil is washing out.

This thread is another confirmation to me that basements are an evil plot designed to vex humankind. I will never have a home with a basement again unless I am on the top of a hill with sandy soil around me. If it's not foundation leakage, it's this sort of sewer line torture. Both are best solved by moving out or applying 5 gallons of gasoline and a match.

Quote:
How did you get approval to build a structure on a sewer line? Around here, you would likely have to remove the structure

I didn't have to. It was this way when I bought it. It's probably been that way for over 70 years. It had knob and tube wiring in it ..which, if wiki is correct, went out of vogue in the 30's.

Originally Posted By: Cogito
This thread is another confirmation to me that basements are an evil plot designed to vex humankind. I will never have a home with a basement again unless I am on the top of a hill with sandy soil around me. If it's not foundation leakage, it's this sort of sewer line torture. Both are best solved by moving out or applying 5 gallons of gasoline and a match.
In 51 years, this is the only problem I have experienced with a basement. Basements are good for many reasons, but are a potential problem if everything is not done right. You don't get vermin living under your house when you have a basement. It's a convenient tornado shelter. It's a great place to stash all kinds of stuff that you probably should not keep anyway. It's a good place to stash oil because it tends to say cooler in the summer. But if a water line bursts (maybe the washing machine hose) it can turn into a very expensive and hazardous indoor swimming pool.

Originally Posted By: TallPaul

(Hmmm, wonder if my Kodak is waterproof
33.gif
)
32.gif
Several years ago my neighbor and I dropped a video camera with a flashlight taped to it down an old well on his property.

Got to 100ft down and it stopped so we spent the next 1/2 hr trying to get the video camera up and through a spot in the casing that had shifted.

Was not funny then but is a funny video to watch now.
LOL.gif

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
The pipe exits the back of my house ..goes under my pad built two story garage apartment ..then hits the alley.

A good chunk of crawl space kitchen is over it. My house is 100 years+
shocked2.gif
Neighbor needed it a few years ago. $10k.

You don't have to put the new one back where the old one was. You can go around the structures if there is room.

Also look into services that push a new liner through the old pipe. I've heard some advertisements for that.

Originally Posted By: TallPaul
Sounds like the copper sulfate is a good idea. I can put it in the cleanout in front of the toilet. Presumably it sits in a pile and slowly gets washed down the drain, so maybe have to re-apply every 3 or 6 months. Copper sulfate won't corrode the iron pipe in the house will it?

You could put in the cleanout, but I would just flush it.

3-6 months is not often enough. The pile will sit there until the next time you flush. If you put a lot in at a time, you're wasting it. I'd flush a little weekly.

I've also heard of flushing rock salt.

Tomorrow my sewer gets the camera. It's plugging up again. Hopefully can do a liner. It is out the back, so no street to tear up. Hopefully not too expensive.

Originally Posted By: moribundman
Please don't share the [censored] cam view with us!
Oh, great idea. We'll see how it comes out. Maybe a few select still shots.
37.gif

No ..get a copy and put it on YouTube !!!

You'll see water and paper shreds ..and a bird's nest.

Invest in root killer...

This may not be roots. First ream Sept 27 was roots for about 40 feet out from house. Second ream Nov 10 the blockage was about 75 feet out, near the main line. This time, who knows. Camera will tell. Find out options. Hope not toooooooo expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back