Settling with car owner without reporting to insurance

That is probably a $800-$1k repair once rental is included. Any insurance premium increase over a 3 year period is probably the same. For the security of having the claim settled professionally, I would just let insurance handle it.

That is probably a $800-$1k repair once rental is included. Any insurance premium increase over a 3 year period is probably the same. For the security of having the claim settled professionally, I would just let insurance handle it.
I can see this really depends on a lot:

1) Does the insured have anything to lose (i.e. already another accident or a lot to sue for)
2) Does the guy being hit likely will repair it or just live with it and keep the cash (i.e. old beater vs brand new car)
3) How big of a damage is it

I have settled probably 17 years ago, but I probably won't do it these days, there are too many people suing for nothing and I have more to lose now than before.

Since the Subaru's owner parked in a compact car only parking spot, could that be considered illegal parking? Me, I trust no one to be honest. I'd be afraid if it was settled between you and a total stranger, they could possibly pull some shady bs. I would contact insurance to legally protect me and the Subaru owner.

Now if they report it to their insurance, they get no penalties (at least here in Tx) as it would be considered a hit and run, and not the owner's fault.
If you hit an illegally parked car you pay the damages. Reality is in a private lot legalities don’t apply except for handicap spots.

If you hit an illegally parked car you pay the damages. Reality is in a private lot legalities don’t apply except for handicap spots.
Yeah you've got a point. I had this big fat heifer back into me one time and she tried to haul ass outta there while I was sitting in my car!! I jumped out, stopped her, called the fuzz, they refused to come because it was at a store's parking lot. So I took pictures of her, her vehicle, license plate, DL, etc. Got her phone number and called her right on the spot in case she was lying to me.

She kept avoiding all calls from my insurance co. Being a P. I. I already knew everything about her. My insurance co finally got ahold of her and made her pay.

What a pita that was!! And to top it off, her husband (poor guy!) was an auto insurance agent! Good lord!

The sign says compact only to prevent this exact situation. The Subaru has culpability for this, too. They need to pay at least half of the repair.

Correct; in a previous life I handled a few claims that were denied since a vehicle was illegally parked....this would likely occur in this case as well, since an Outback is not a compact.

Just give them your insurance info if they call; another problem is that it could be hit again between now and when they return....

Our '07 Dodge Grand Caravan was hit a few weeks ago while my wife was stopped at a light. The low-speed collision dimpled the plastic rear bumper cover a bit, and scratched the paint.

Per my wife, the other driver, a middle-aged man, was apologetic and pleasant and asked that we allow him to pay rather than going the insurance route. (We have mandatory public insurance here.). They exchanged contact information, and my wife got photos of the damage and of the other vehicle.

I removed the plastic bumper cover, and was pleased to see that there was no damage to the steel bumper, plastic, or styrofoam underneath.

Took the bumper cover to a fellow who works out of his garage. He did a good job getting rid of the deformation in the plastic, and repainting the entire unit. Charged me C$300. Because the bumper had some minor scratches on the pain on the other side, I'm going to ask the other driver to pay half (C$150).

Life's been crazy with a lot happening, but I expect he'll be glad to get off that easy.
Thought I'd follow up on this - the at-fault driver showed up this evening with the requested $150 in cash.

All's well that ends well.

Yeah you've got a point. I had this big fat heifer back into me one time and she tried to haul ass outta there while I was sitting in my car!! I jumped out, stopped her, called the fuzz, they refused to come because it was at a store's parking lot. So I took pictures of her, her vehicle, license plate, DL, etc. Got her phone number and called her right on the spot in case she was lying to me.

She kept avoiding all calls from my insurance co. Being a P. I. I already knew everything about her. My insurance co finally got ahold of her and made her pay.

What a pita that was!! And to top it off, her husband (poor guy!) was an auto insurance agent! Good lord!
As I started to read this, I had a vision of you parked in a rural area, on a ranch or perhaps a dairy farm, and a large cow blundering into your vehicle. This notion was dispelled as I read on.

As I started to read this, I had a vision of you parked in a rural area, on a ranch or perhaps a dairy farm, and a large cow blundering into your vehicle. This notion was dispelled as I read on.
Funny thing, when I was in high school, a friend of mine had a maroon 77 Olds Omega. He was driving down this country road and a cow was standing in the middle of the road. He stopped and that thing got a running start and rammed into his car, caving in the rear quarter panel haha!! :ROFLMAO:

The sign says compact only to prevent this exact situation. The Subaru has culpability for this, too. They need to pay at least half of the repair.
Good eye Leo, I didn't spot that until you did. Makes sense though to have a compact space where vehicles turn the corners. I mean that guy's ass end is sticking way out. Who knows, with a little luck and OP plays his cards right, he may possibly get off scott free. Never know till you try.

Yesterday in a parking garage in LA, I nicked a bumper of a Subaru as I was rounding a corner in a parking garage (their car was stationary, nobody was in it). I left a note with my name & cell number, explaining what I did and where the damage was. I did take a couple of pics.

I’m not sure what my next steps should be. I’d like some recommendations.

I’m wondering if we can get out of this without reporting it to insurance. Problem is, my deductible is only $500, and I’m pretty sure if the owner wants to replace it, it would cost a ton more. If that's the case, I'd definitely want to report it. Are there other options I could lobby for from the owner, instead of replacing the bumper?

At any rate, because this was a parking garage in a harbor, it could be a week or two or three before the owner even comes back to the car. I’m not sure if insurance companies have requirements about how soon you have to report something.

Last time I reported a claim to my home insurance, it was denied, but it was still on my record as a “claim,” and other insurance companies told me that they wouldn’t take me as a home customer until x years had passed after the last claim. So I’d rather not have this on my record if I’m going to settle privately with the driver anyways, but on the other hand like I said, I don’t know if there is a time frame that the insurance company (Mercury) wants to hear about it, before refusing to pay.

Finally, assuming we do settle without reporting, should I have the owner of the car sign some statement to the effect that they will release me from any further damages, upon payment of the money that I’ll give them?

I have settled without reporting once before when someone hit me. It was actually a very smooth experience. I've never had to talk about this possibility when I've been the one at fault.

I’ll post the pics later on today.
How did this end up?

Nope-the car didn't jump out and hit the OP's car...while it wasn't a good choice to park that particular vehicle there...it's entirely the OP's fault.

Nope-the car didn't jump out and hit the OP's car...while it wasn't a good choice to park that particular vehicle there...it's entirely the OP's fault.
We can agree to disagree. You can't park where you shouldn't park and absolve yourself of any fault.

We can agree to disagree. You can't park where you shouldn't park and absolve yourself of any fault.
If you're saying the parker has contributory negligence,that probably varies from state to state. Regardless, the driver can see the car, so if he hits the car, it's still his fault even if it wasn't parked properly.

If you're saying the parker has contributory negligence,that probably varies from state to state. Regardless, the driver can see the car, so if he hits the car, it's still his fault even if it wasn't parked properly.

So-was there a car coming around the corner from the other way-causing the OP to have to make a tight turn? Or was it an "out to lunch moment"?

I have been on the other end of a situation like this. Had a guy hit my right front wheel. I agreed to him paying for any damage without involving insurance. He went with me to a shop of my choice and made an agreement with them for payment. It all worked out great. And it was quick.

I had a guy hit my Toyota pickup from behind one morning . He was freaked out about the thought of going through the insurance company . He said he had a new teenage driver in the house and his insurance was already sky high . He asked if he could pay me cash for the damages . He gave me his business card , he was a supervisor at the local Exxon refinery and also gave me his address . He lived on the same street as my in laws .
I got an estimate from a body shop and gave him a call . He wasn't happy about the number . " Well , it's not like it's a new truck !! " OK . sport , we can always let the insurance handle it . He paid me . I bought the parts and fixed it myself . Made money on the deal .

Neither--it was just a parking garage with only a narrow lane in between the rows of parked cars along the sides.

So-was there a car coming around the corner from the other way-causing the OP to have to make a tight turn? Or was it an "out to lunch moment"?

FWIW, I mentioned the "compact" designation of the spot the car was parked in, and my insurance company wasn't even interested in pictures documenting that. They said that since I hit the parked car, it was my fault. Perhaps my state (CA) might have something to do with this, I don't know.

Back