Setting up Tire Bead?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright so after some technique and learning 2 tires are on the wheels, but now the bead isn't seating and I can hear air leaking.

I tried using a ratchet strap on the wheel. Also pushed lower bead all the way down, while pushing on the wheel from the top to increase the sealing area, but no luck.

Is there a special trick to it? Tire removed were 195/65/15 and they are being replaced with the same size too.

I rather avoid the fire method
laugh.gif

Thanks for the help
thumbsup2.gif

sometimes you'll need a friend to help air up the tire while you adjust/fiddle with the tire.

through experimenting sometimes with the tire sitting up and air to it, you can take a sledge hammer and hit the face of the tire and that jolt will cause the air in the tire to push the sidewalls out and seat the beads.

like anything else it works sometimes

all depends on how flexible the tire is and how wide the rim is

Originally Posted by Chris142
Take the core out of the stem. Shove your air hose on it with no chuck.

+1

Originally Posted by Black_Thunder
sometimes you'll need a friend to help air up the tire while you adjust/fiddle with the tire.

+1

Originally Posted by Char Baby

+1

Originally Posted by Black_Thunder

+1

And a gas powered leaf blower used like a "Cheeta" tank!

If you dont know what a Cheeta is!
https://www.amazon.com/TSI-Cheetah-Bead-Seating-Tool/dp/B000VNHWUM

Last edited:

+2

You need a fast volume of air to help the beads catch and hold the seat. Airing up with the valve stem core in place isn't going to do it.

Thanks all, I have a small 5 gallon air compressor and I tried multiple times that thing and it didn't cut it.

I took it to some of these air fill places at gas station/costco yesterday, but don't think I can use them without the valve stem.

Will probably ask around

Try setting the tire in the sun for a while. This has worked for me when putting old, age hardened tires on my 'yard cars'.

In your situation, I would just take them to a shop and be done with it in a couple minutes. Probably won't cost much, if anything.

Originally Posted by jjjxlr8
air pressure and lube. How high did you inflate them? try going up to 50 psi.

Yeah I am going to use a lot of lube today and I used a small electric compressor to inflate them, I could hear air leaking out of side wall.

Originally Posted by maverickfhs
Originally Posted by jjjxlr8
air pressure and lube. How high did you inflate them? try going up to 50 psi.

Yeah I am going to use a lot of lube today and I used a small electric compressor to inflate them, I could hear air leaking out of side wall.
Yeah, that's most likely your problem. You need a higher pressure and a higher volume of air flow to push the tire such that it will seal enough to fully seat. You could buy an air tank and use your electric compressor to fill it up. The air tank should work better.

Originally Posted by Traction
In your situation, I would just take them to a shop and be done with it in a couple minutes. Probably won't cost much, if anything.

No idea if anyone would be able to do it, but I'll check around.

Is there a way I can tweak valve core in a way that a commercial(gas station) air machine can work with it? Because it won't work if there's no core in the tire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back