Servicing '13 Cadillac SRX AWD Haldex unit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all. I had a heck of a time finding the proper filter kit and fluid for my wife's '13 Cadillac SRX AWD rear axle clutch. It's a Haldex unit, and GM acts like these are non-serviceable. It's an easy job once you're under the car. I had a little issue of one of the bolts recessed in the middle of the filter cover being so rusted that the 4mm hex couldn't bite well enough to loosen it. An easy-out worked in this case (they aren't very tight from the factory.)

Remove 10 4mm hex bolts, remove the cover.

Here's the inside of the cover:

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

There was also a fair amount of sludge inside the unit as well. I cleaned it out carefully with brake cleaner.

This is the filter/gasket kit from GM, made in Germany: (found for around $30 on eBay)

New filter and gasket in place:

Replace the filter cover and snug up the bolts. The filter cover has a fill plug on the side of it. Fill it until it's full. Drive the car for 5 minutes, then top off. (I didn't top off initially, and the car threw a "Service rear axle" code.)

Here's the fluid from GM, made in Sweden and about $60 a quart if you shop around. (I got mine off eBay.)

My '14 Regal has the same setup, but the unit is buried in a contour of the underbody of the car, with the exhaust covering it for good measure. I'm going to break down and have a shop do that one, as it will require dropping the exhaust and rear differential to access it.

Hope this helps someone out!

Last edited:
Thanks for the post. The Haldex is an incredibly sophisticated system and actually has its own electric pump to pressurize the fluid to operate the clutch. ( a computerized rear end?).
smile.gif

GL-4 ? Is that fluid any different than any other $10 quart synthetic gear lubricant? I know the VW/Audi/Volvo Haldex can be had for around $30 a quart but it doesn't say GL-4 on the bottle anywhere.

Originally Posted by gd9704
Hello all. I had a heck of a time finding the proper filter kit and fluid for my wife's '13 Cadillac SRX AWD rear axle clutch. It's a Haldex unit, and GM acts like these are non-serviceable. It's an easy job once you're under the car. I had a little issue of one of the bolts recessed in the middle of the filter cover being so rusted that the 4mm hex couldn't bite well enough to loosen it. An easy-out worked in this case (they aren't very tight from the factory.)

Remove 10 4mm hex bolts, remove the cover.

Here's the inside of the cover:

There was also a fair amount of sludge inside the unit as well. I cleaned it out carefully with brake cleaner.

This is the filter/gasket kit from GM, made in Germany: (found for around $30 on eBay)

New filter and gasket in place:

Replace the filter cover and snug up the bolts. The filter cover has a fill plug on the side of it. Fill it until it's full. Drive the car for 5 minutes, then top off. (I didn't top off initially, and the car threw a "Service rear axle" code.)

Here's the fluid from GM, made in Sweden and about $60 a quart if you shop around. (I got mine off eBay.)

My '14 Regal has the same setup, but the unit is buried in a contour of the underbody of the car, with the exhaust covering it for good measure. I'm going to break down and have a shop do that one, as it will require dropping the exhaust and rear differential to access it.

Hope this helps someone out!

that sludge picture just puts a capital L in the lie about "lifetime" fluids, good idea that you changed it
shocked2.gif

Haldex units in volvos are know to build sludge very quickly. AFAIK, it's a trait of all of them - staying on top of the fluid in them is overlooked by most owners, I suspect. From what I've read/seen, they put up with quite a bit before they fail, but for my $, i'd get a feel for a good change interval and go with it.

Originally Posted by XCIDMigs
It should be the same spec as this... good job to OP on service yourself, what was the miles? I did it at 10k on my VW Haldex not nearly that much trash in it.

https://www.amazon.com/Ravenol-J1C1...aWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

The car has 94,000 miles on it. We've had it since 30k, and I'm sure it's never been done. I've scoured owners manuals and online, and the maintenance schedule for these cars never mention servicing them at all.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back