Service vans

Status
Not open for further replies.
My father owns a coffee roasting company
13.gif
here in Louisiana and currently has several company vehicles, mostly fords. He is looking for a new service van for our espresso machine service tech. Currently he is driving a older transit connect with around 250k miles on it. The tech himself has back issues so looking for comfort as well.

My father expressed to me his liking of the Mercedes Metris vans, my only objection is that no dealer will service them and its a turbo 4 cylinder and I'm not sure the longevity of that turbo/problems in general with that engine.

The Ford 4 cylinder has been a true workhorse and if it comes down to it I think getting into a newer transit connect might be the best choice.

Service on all vehicles from here on apparently will be through Tire Choice which bought out our previous service provider. I believe they offer mobil syn blend for under $40 a pop, but the Metris should be more I bet for needed MB oil specs.

If I was in a service business that required a van, and the Transit Connect was big enough for my needs that would be my choice.

In my area Amazon was running a lot of those Mercedes vans but the word got out that they were having tons of issues with them. A couple of years ago they switched over to Nissan vans.

I would skip the Mercedes due to cost and the Nissan NV200 due to CVT (not the best transmission for hauling heavy weight). The Ford Transit Connect or the RAM Promaster City would be good options.

Stay FAR AWAY from the big Transits and the Dodge (Fiats), I would go Express/Savana all the way, in a 1500/4.3 liter if you weren't hauling a lot of weight. The Mercedes/Sprinters are very expensive when they break-and they rust like crazy anyhow. We also had Transit Connects, they worked but couldn't haul much.

Originally Posted by bullwinkle
Stay FAR AWAY from the big Transits and the Dodge (Fiats), I would go Express/Savana all the way, in a 1500/4.3 liter if you weren't hauling a lot of weight. The Mercedes/Sprinters are very expensive when they break-and they rust like crazy anyhow. We also had Transit Connects, they worked but couldn't haul much.

We have two of the big 2015 models, put a buttload of miles driving in New Orleans. Absolutely no problems with them maintenance wise as far as my dad told me. Turning radius on them is a big plus too. A newer connect might be up our alley.

Originally Posted by AZjeff
What's wrong with the full size Transit vans?

Nothing, we use them for all out big daily deliveries downtown New Orleans, but it's a little overkill for an equipment service van. We used an ecoline van previously, don't need THAT much space.

The Express/Savana in old but still king of the hill in terms of reliability and cost of maintenance IMO.

The only small van worth buying is the Transit Connect.

Originally Posted by Aredeeem
Do they still make Mello Joy coffee down there? Used to get that up in Jersey once in a while.

Yes, honestly not very good anymore from what locals tell me. I'll pm you some good stuff to order
wink.gif

Not sure if OP wants used or new ??, But GM stopped making the 1500 half ton vans few year ago. It's 2500 or 3500 for the GM full size vans now

Ford still make E-series in cutaway option and you add a aftermarket box for the rear ??. i think its E350 and up ?? No more E150/250 options ??

I agree with others STAY AWAY from promaster/sprinter/Nissan NV2000 junk.

Dave

Last edited:
Originally Posted by GMguy84

Not sure if OP wants used or new ??, But GM stopped making the 1500 half ton vans few year ago. It's 2500 or 3500 for the GM full size vans now

Ford still make E-series in cutaway option and you add a aftermarket box for the rear ??. i think its E350 and up ?? No more E150/250 options ??

I agree with others STAY AWAY from promaster/sprinter/Nissan NV2000 junk.

Dave

We have had great service from our Transit Vans. The GM Savana's had nothing but transmission problems. They have all been sold off and replaced with Transits.

I haven't personally had Transit transmission trouble, but my '15 Transit 250 did lose a torque converter at around 75K & it took TWO MONTHS to get the parts & get it back on the road again. My company has had 2 3.7s fail under warranty for thrown rods, & the '18 3.7 in my sig has had rattling rods since Day 1. Multiple rear axle problems as well, there's been a couple complete failures, and mine needs the ring & pinion tightened up again. The drivetrains in them are just not meant to carry weight or tow, if one drove it around empty or nearly empty it might be better.

We have a fleet of MB Sprinters. They are all super reliable, and frankly fantastic. The only issues are thin paint.

They run amazing, drive like a car, and are way way better than the horrible driving and unreliable GMC and Chevy Express vans we are phasing out.

I may be the odd guy out, but I recommend a 2.1L turbo diesel MB Sprinter shorty

I have two high top transit vans. One with Ecoboost and one without. 190,000 combined miles with no problems. Rock solid and loaded with thousands of pounds daily.

My local Cable TV franchise is selling off their Transits. The Techs tell me they have more no-starts in the am than anyone can remember. Transits are FAR from perfect.

We have run 3500 Savana/Express' here for many years and found them to be very reliable and have excellent resale even with ridiculous mileages. These are loaded down with built in cleaning equipment and weigh about 9200 to 9500 pounds every morning. All city miles. These are tough trucks.

For a smaller light duty van I have no idea as I don't use them here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back