Service Pro Motor oil question...

Status
Not open for further replies.
My local Aco Hardware has SP syn blend oil on sale for 2.33/qt.
My neighbor has a gift card there, and would like to pick up a few cases for his 2008 Cobalt. He does quite a bit of stop and go driving for his commute (about 40 miles total), and would like a little more protection for his car. My brother uses this oil in his Caliber with great success, but he mostly does freeway driving. I've helped mold him into a bit of a car person, but he is on a tight budget...went from nearly no oil changes to 5k dino runs...

I haven't found any UOAs for Service Pro, so I'm not too sure how long he can run it. I thought about having him run to our local Auto Value store and pick up a few quarts of SP's dexos 5w30 to top off the change (so 4/qts syn blend 1qt full syn)

If this sounds a bit crazy...it kinda is. But teaching someone car care can be tough....
smile.gif

Service Pro is very decent oil. We sell a lot of it in cases and drums to service centers, so there are millions of cars running around with the stuff in their sumps. A local Chevrolet dealer buys the dexos1 oil from us in large quantity. I've personally used the synthetic 0w-20 in my girlfriends car, and just mailed off a sample of it this morning.

It is made by Warren oil, so it should be the same as the stuff tested here http://www.pqiamerica.com/testresults10W30April2010.html

So it's like a Warren (Super Tech, Peak, AAP) syn blend?

Interesting since no other warren product has a blend...

That's not a bad price for a synblend oil. I may consider picking some up at my Aco on the way home today. Does anyone know if this oil is API SM or SN?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: daves87rs

I could be wrong but Warren Oil and Warren Performance Packaging (Warren Distribution, Inc.) are not the same companies...T/F ?

Super Tech is WPP not Warren oil...T/F ?

Originally Posted By: FastGame
Originally Posted By: daves87rs

I could be wrong but Warren Oil and Warren Performance Packaging (Warren Distribution, Inc.) are not the same companies...T/F ?

Super Tech is WPP not Warren oil...T/F ?

Correct. There are two Warren's that make very similar products, but are completely unrelated.

Originally Posted By: Klutch9
That's not a bad price for a synblend oil. I may consider picking some up at my Aco on the way home today. Does anyone know if this oil is API SM or SN?

I picked up a lot of the Service Pro 5W-20 syn blend at the Rochester Hills ACO last Spring for $1.49/qt. Label says it's "API SM, SL and previous API categories".

Curious to know more about Craft Oil...though my thought (without any more info) would be that they are a blender.

I know a few people who use SP oil (including my brother) who have run it to 5k with no issues.

I'm almost considering picking up a case of this blend, and making one of the quarts their dexos Synthetic, and running this blend in my cobalt...since I change it at around 5k anyways...

I feel like I'm barely using the Napa Synthetic that is in there now...

Though I find this interesting:

"Craft Oil started its lubricant business with Quaker State Motor Oil in 1925 and is now the oldest Quaker State distributor in the country. The business has grown from its inception when glass bottles were used for motor oil to being the largest bulk motor oil distributor in the region. As Craft Oil grew, so did its selection of brands, which now houses the finest mix of lubricants in the business."

Quaker state? Interesting stuff....

http://www.craftoilcorp.com/company/company-history/

Originally Posted By: harbor

I picked up a lot of the Service Pro 5W-20 syn blend at the Rochester Hills ACO last Spring for $1.49/qt. Label says it's "API SM, SL and previous API categories".

Ah, that's right around the corner from me
smile.gif
I bought 8 quarts today from the Aco store in Southfield where I work... 5 of them were SN, but the rest on the shelf were SM. I bought them because I plan on using some of them in our Fusion, and both the SM and SN oils meet the Ford spec that our Fusion requires for warranty purposes. Not bad for a lesser-known brand oil. The Aco I visited also had Pennzoil (Purolator) oil filters for like $2.49 or something like that, everyday price. That's not bad! I bought one of them for the Focus, and I would've bought more if I didn't already have enough filters at home for 3 other OCI's. I have to show some restriant...
whistle.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: harbor

Ah, that's right around the corner from me
smile.gif
I bought 8 quarts today from the Aco store in Southfield where I work... 5 of them were SN, but the rest on the shelf were SM. I bought them because I plan on using some of them in our Fusion, and both the SM and SN oils meet the Ford spec that our Fusion requires for warranty purposes. Not bad for a lesser-known brand oil. The Aco I visited also had Pennzoil (Purolator) oil filters for like $2.49 or something like that, everyday price. That's not bad! I bought one of them for the Focus, and I would've bought more if I didn't already have enough filters at home for 3 other OCI's. I have to show some restriant...
whistle.gif

Nice....

Originally Posted By: Ken2
Service Pro oils are from Craft Oil Co.
http://www.craftoilcorp.com/products/service-pro/
http://service-pro.com/lubricants.html

Hard to tell if Craft is the blender or just a distributor, and who else might be the actual blender. Anyway, it looks like OK stuff, just don't try to extend the oil drains without lab tests.

They are not the blender, Warren oil is.

All you have to do is compare the Service Pro spec sheets to the Warren spec sheets. They are identical.

http://www.warrenunilube.com/Spec Sheets.zip

http://www.service-pro.com/lubricants.html

http://www.pqiamerica.com/testresultsNov2010.html

Shows the 5w-30.

My personal opinion is that it is darned near as good as Chevron Supreme, which I rank among the best of the conventionals/blends.

I'm looking forward to the UOA of the 0w-20 synthetic with 5,263 miles on it. I get the oil basically at cost, and have a good sized stash of it, but if the UOA looks good I am going to go from stashing to stockpiling
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back