Serious, or not so much?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It would be interesting to replace the filter with an empty can on a new car. Do OCI's according to the owners manual or go by the oil life monitor. See how long it lasts before the engine shows signs of excessive wear.

Originally Posted by ZiTS
Just seems a little depressing that, with all the various oil filters available for every automobile, there doesn't appear to be any that are consistently leaps & bounds better than another. Perhaps the oil filter industry has shot itself in the foot by putting out entirely too many different filters to cover so many different engines/applications.

Oil filters range in quality and performance over a wide spectrum. So there certainly are some obviously differences between them, depending where on the spectrum you pick the two filters to compare.

As a consumer of filters, it helps to understand the whole spectrum of oil filters and choose the ones that make you feel the best based on your knowledge of oil filters.

Originally Posted by Pyrotechnic
It would be interesting to replace the filter with an empty can on a new car. Do OCI's according to the owners manual or go by the oil life monitor. See how long it lasts before the engine shows signs of excessive wear.

Based on all the studies done on engine wear vs oil cleanliness, I'd have to say an engine with no oil filter will wear out faster than an engine with good oil filtering and cleaner oil.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Originally Posted by Pyrotechnic

Based on all the studies done on engine wear vs oil cleanliness, I'd have to say an engine with no oil filter will wear out faster than an engine with good oil filtering and cleaner oil.

I agree Zee ^^^^^

Try this within your body... Poor filtering from kidneys... Even dialysis cannot compete with normal strong functional kidneys...

Cleaner is better.

Though where is the point of very minimal return ?? I hypothesise it is at or around 95 percent efficiency at or less than 25 microns or better... I don't believe there would be a meaningful statistical difference between a filter that is 99 percent at 25 microns and one that is 99 percent at 20 microns.... The average condition of the oil each run would be far more important to lack of wear than those two filter differences.

Originally Posted by tig1
The oil you use is far more important than the filter you use.

I agree ðŸ‘...Ž

Maybe ...

I was taught by an old mechanic that a good AIR filter makes the oil filter far less important ...

Oil filters in my car capture very little of anything. Nevertheless, I leave one in place, just in case the legendary "rock" comes along.

I've known of a few 1950s engines that had no oil filters, yet made it past 100k without major symptoms of wear. That wasn't as common as with later models, though.

Originally Posted by CR94
Oil filters in my car capture very little of anything. Nevertheless, I leave one in place, just in case the legendary "rock" comes along.

I've known of a few 1950s engines that had no oil filters, yet made it past 100k without major symptoms of wear. That wasn't as common as with later models, though.

Yes but back in those days the did call for much more frequent OCI's as I remember.

Originally Posted by geeman789

Maybe ...

I was taught by an old mechanic that a good AIR filter makes the oil filter far less important ...

The trifecta of components for reducing engine wear are: oil, air filter and oil filter. Of course regular maintenance of those 3 components is also required.

100k mileage is peanuts today. But the idea to stretch the use of our oil filters, which 90% of the time goes to their burial only 30-40% filled, makes the most sense.

Yes you would think that modern engines with tighter tolerances, sophisticated management systems, yada yada, the oil filter would have a more important role in engine longevity. Turns out that quality of fuel and oil, the air filter, and overall service frequency, still have a much greater bearing on life.

Also you said "the SuperTech doesn't have a bypass valve in the spring, yet the AC Delco does." Maybe the bypass valve is somewhere else in the SuperTech filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back