Sequential Oil Changes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I own a '97 Max SE, 2001 SE Miata, 2002 Protege5 and a '96 Astro. I run Mobil 1 in the first three and Castrol GTX in the Astro. I change oil/filter myself at 3k (excessive, I know). I want the first three to run forever but will replace the Astro at some point when reliability gets too bad.

My question, rather than put new Castrol GTX in the Astro, should I save my 3k oil change Mobil 1 (10W-30 in summer and 5W-30 in winter) from the first three and use in the Astro?

Also, I'm thinking of switching to Schaeffers and a $250 order but sticking with OEM filters and maybe go to 5k oil changes. Which type Schaeffers?

Thanks for any advice.

If the container you catch it in is clean enough, that 3k Mobil 1 can still be used in another car. I knew someone who did that with the oil in his Corvette. He rarely drove that car (500mi per year) so he'd take the oil out of it every 3-4 months and put it in his Volvo (which had like a bazillion miles on it)

I'd extend your change intervals to 5000 miles in the three engines that are currently using Mobil 1 and run 7500 miles changes in the Astro. I have tested synthetic oil changed at different intervals and found little or no difference in wear rates with 5000-6000 mile changes or 10,000-12,000 mile changes. Spend the $$$ you save and do some oil analysis testing instead and you'll find these change intervals work just fine ....

If you suspect your used Mobil 1 is good enough to run in another car - which I'm sure it is- then you are clearly changing too soon.

TooSlick

quote:

Originally posted by ex_MGB:

Also, I'm thinking of switching to Schaeffers and a $250 order but sticking with OEM filters and maybe go to 5k oil changes. Which type Schaeffers?

Thanks for any advice.

Just stay with the same viscosity if you change to Schaeffers. It will give you excellent service as well with a lower cost.

MGB,

I think the Schaeffers would be a excellent choice. When buying the minimum order way it is very cost effective so I would just run new oil in the Astro if it were me deciding
smile.gif

You might could get by running the 10/30 year round? Patman and others is doing this in Canada but I am not sure what kinda cold you get where you live?

Over the weekend we put the 10/30 in our early model Miata with 70k. The oil feels neat in the between the fingers analysis
smile.gif
and that Son of mine will be giving it the old acid test for sure.I beleive it to be overlooked as a high performance oil for many sport engines.

Yesterday I took the car out and was running it to 7200 RPM. It really seemed to run to that a bit easier than with the past Dino oils.For certain the engine is a bit more quiet especially when started cold having owned the car for quite some time I am very familiar with it.

Will post the oil analysis in early Spring. I expect it to do very well

I know you're not comfortable running any of the first three to 10k intervals like I would
shocked.gif
, so my 2 cents would be: run the first three to 5k intervals, then use that oil to run the Astro to 5k intervals (& new filters on all vehicles every time). That way, you get a bit more value out of the Mobil 1, but still have a ton of life left in it for the Astro.

Thanks for the replies. I'd really like to up my drain intervals to 5k per vehicle. This puts me at three changes per year. I don't want to go year round on either 10W-30 or 5W-30. Which one would be best to go with for 2/3 of the year?

I would go with longer drain intervals-at least 6K with Shaeffers, Mobil 1, Amsoil. I really would consider 10W-30 all year around. There's no reason to-considering the pour points of the 10W-30 Mobil are (I think -49F). I live in Pa. and have used the 10W in weather down to almost -20 F with no garage. You'll never see that extreme in Md. Fo what its worth I used the 10W-30 Mobil in 10 different vehicles over the last 8 years. I am in the process of trying the Shaeffer's 5W-30 (10W-30 not available
mad.gif
)

Aside from the Astro, my cars are manuals. I push all three very hard. By hard, for example, a bi-annual drive in the Maxima to St Louis in hot weather, I-97 in West Virginia in 4th gear WOT on a 5 mile uphill sweeper. Also, I'm constantly banging the 7k rev limiter in the Miata.

I guess I would have to go the oil analysis route to confirm 5W-30 wouldn't be a problem in the summer. Maybe, 10W-30 would be just a tad better in the summer, but akin to splitting hairs.

I'm thinking of the Schaeffers as well, the 7000 blend in a 55 gallon drum. Be neat if once a month a drum got auctioned on e-bay as a promotional.

It would take an awfully long time to use up 55 gallons of oil! Especially if you use the Schaeffer Supreme as it was intended, and go with intervals higher than 5 or 6k.

They do promotionals on occassion, like right now, if You were to order a 55gal of the supreme 7000 oil, you could get a case of the water proof grease(30 tubes) or a case of penetrol(penetrating oil) or citrol(cleaner)or a couple of 12qt cases of what other wt motor oil, and a few other options for free.

I myself like the grease option as it is one of the more expensive items and seems to be the best deal out there.

[ October 17, 2002, 08:50 AM: Message edited by: BOBISTHEOILGUY ]

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
It would take an awfully long time to use up 55 gallons of oil! Especially if you use the Schaeffer Supreme as it was intended, and go with intervals higher than 5 or 6k.

I have 4 drivers, soon to be six. Will stay at six plus or minus for a good bit. My problem is a lack of discipline, every time I go to Wally World for oil, I buy everything else under the sun
blush.gif
. Put a drum in the garage and no hassle, plus, it will feed my pack rat instincts
cool.gif

Yes, but for the drum you need a pump, a way to seal it between uses, a clean container for taking to the car. Keep it in a dry area so that what moisture gets in will not rust the drum, etc. Drums are for people who use a fair amount of oil. (you could also buy in a 6,000 gallon bag-in-box, but that, too is excessive for most people).

I might use 12gal oil/yr. For me the gallon jugs are a good combination of economy and simplicity. They fit on shelves instead of making me rearrange my garage, they're easy to isolate from shavings & other workshop debris, and the curbside recyclers like them much better than quarts. Anyone try curbside 55-gal drums?
smile.gif

Widman's point about moisture is good, especially here in the NW. Oct-May, open the container and it gets wet.

David

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back