Semi-autopilot is available with newer vehicles

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's probably good for teens who don't pay attention when they drive, they are too busy texting and/or searching internet and/or having fun with their friends ...

Quote:
Good news: You can buy a car today that will stop itself from crashing, keep itself in lane and even speed up and slow down to match the traffic ahead.

Even better news: You don't have to go broke paying for it. Cars with this type of sort-of-self-driving technology now start at about $20,000.

Quote:
It’s one of the auto world’s most important and least discussed breakthroughs: Cheap starter cars are now being sold with some of the most sophisticated “driver assist” technology on the road.

So how do they perform against today's "Autopilot"-enabled luxury cars, like the $130,000 Tesla Model S or $66,000 Volvo XC90? You'd be surprised. We test-drove two of the cheapest models with semi-driverless technology — the 2016 Honda Civic and 2016 Chevy Malibu — and we're convinced: No matter what your budget looks like, your next car might just drive itself.

Quote:
What they do offer, though, might surprise you: Cameras and computers that alert you (and hit the brakes) when they suspect a potential crash; systems that smoothly steer the car along turns and curves at highway speeds; and even "adaptive cruise control," which changes its speed, second by second, to mimic the flow of traffic. That last feature allowed me to drive 15 straight miles on a busy, winding highway with my feet off the pedals and my hands in the lap — all in a Civic, one of the most popular cars in America, and starting at about $20,440.

Quote:
But here's where it gets finicky. When a car ahead of you moves out of the way, how fast is too fast for your own car to speed up? The Civic seemed to accelerate a little too slowly for my tastes — but any faster, perhaps, and another driver might feel unnerved. There’s no one-size-fits-all.

Speaking of nerves, taking my feet off the pedals and easing my grip on the wheel while zooming down the highway was about as unsettling as you might think. And when the ghost in the machine speeds up or steers on its own, it can start to feel a bit — spooky. These cars demand a lot of trust. I found it comforting, after a bit, knowing the car had my back. You (or your passengers) may not feel the same way.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-...ost-only-20000/

Last edited:
I am not a big fan of a self driving car. There is no fun in it. I enjoy the drive, even when there are a lot of idiots on the road. I have to take out my steam by yelling at someone. Might as well be somewhere nobody will hear me.

Those of us with the good ole cars will get stuck behind self driving cars doing the speed limit at most while the "driver" occupant is doing something on a phablet or a built in screen. Its going to screw up driving dynamics for those that like to drive.

What does it do when there is a crash right in front of you and you need to swerve?

I will guess it will brake. It is the most conservative action.
I suppose if it's super smart it will do the pretightening of seat belts and pre-employment airbags. It's just a car, and crashes are not the worst scenaruo. Perhaps it will go slow enough so that such avoidable by human reflexes would be brake able instead

You can get into all the hypotheticals. what if you swerved and then hit people instead of just the crashing.
What if the decision is kill 10 pedestrians or kill the driver? Can you then sue the car if it decides to kill the driver but save 10 people?

Last edited:
For cross country driving this semi-autopilot isn't a bad thing to have. Just set cruise control and relax for few hours, take control of the car when someone like to stop at a gas station to fill up and have a bathroom break.

Originally Posted By: hatt
What does it do when there is a crash right in front of you and you need to swerve?

The car can brake faster than your ability to understand all your surroundings and swerve. The system should keep sufficient distance so that it could brake if it detected deceleration.

My car has adaptive cruise (not ground breaking) and forward collision warning (does come in handy). It's a Camry.

I considered a crv purely for the semiautonomous driving. I skipped out on crv due to cost and drivetrain vibes/cvt.

I welcome it. Full autopilot that is. I have an hour long drive to work and it'd be nice to sit back and read the paper. In a couple of years I'd love to type into the car "take the kid to xyz activity" and the car does it for me.

What I don't like is partial aids. What happens if I get used to driving a car with adaptive cruise, then get into one with "dumb" cruise? I sure would like to think I could switch gears (so to speak) but sometimes a habit is hard to break. I think I'd rather retain a "high" level of involvement; or go right to a very low level of involvement. Nothing between.

Had a conversation at work with a coworker who has an infant. He wondered if he would teach his son how to drive a stick. I pointed out that it may well be a "useless" skill by that time--graduated drivers licenses might drive the driving age out past 16, plus another decade from now, and/or autonomous cars might become relatively cheap on the used market. Sure, if someone has a "dumb" car for fooling around with, it'd be fun; but it may well be in the category of learning how to adjust spark advance while driving (like done on Model T's and A's).

Beginning of the year I had a free Sirius subscription, so I flipped through the channels while driving. When that ended I listed to NPR or flipped through the channels. Last couple of weeks I've sat back and listened to... silence. So much of our lives are spent going from one activity to another, stimulated in one way or another. Driving even a boring Toyota is a complete change of pace from every day life.

I wonder if the Uber replacement will come with autonomous vehicles. Need to get someplace? Type in where you are, where you want to be. Someone nearby who isn't using their car could "loan" it out without having to lift a finger. Rider just sits back and doesn't even have to make small talk with the driver. Eventually the car goes back to where it needs to pick up its owner.

I'm dreading the day when I won't be able to control anything in my car, apart from specifying the destination. Might as well turn in my drivers license now.
frown.gif

You may want to upkeep your pretty dumb '02 530i for sometime, as long as you still have it you can enjoy driving it.

My S2000 is pretty dumb, it has no rain sensing wiper, no automatic headlight, no 20-way power/heated/memory seats, no UBS nor Bluetooth, no smart cruise control ... I need to manually control everything. The only smart feature is if headlight was on and key was removed from ignition, then a chime will be on to remind the driver that something isn't right.

You need BT+USB; how else can you talk on the phone while driving and make the other guy completely nuts with the wind noise? Isn't that the best part of driving a convertible? You really want to rub it in to whoever is on the other end of the phone line because as God is my witness, he will not be enjoying sun and wind in his face!!

The only feature of the phone I use when driving is either Waze or Google Maps. Never used and never will the phone for anything else while driving.

Even if I like to talk on the phone while driving the S2000 on highway, I couldn't because of wind noise, I couldn't hear myself how do I hear anything from a phone ?

The S2000 is so dang noisy on highway speed.

I drove with adaptive cruise at speeds between 60-110 MPH recently. It is much too aggressive both on acceleration, and especially on slow down. It is tunable, but even the tuning to make it react the least is still much too jerky and inefficient for my tastes. The tech has a long way to go, IMO.

Originally Posted By: Nate1979
Originally Posted By: hatt

The car can brake faster than your ability to understand all your surroundings and swerve. The system should keep sufficient distance so that it could brake if it detected deceleration.
How does it keep you away from cars in the other lanes? The car can't predict trouble ahead as well as an alert driver.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back