Sellier & Bellot

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found it to be OK ammo, it was priced right. I bought and used it for my 22.250's before I started reloading for them. I also saved and used the brass to reload.

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
Originally Posted By: bunnspecial
I keep meaning to buy a carton of S&B primers.
I had been stacking them up ($25 a 1000 vs $35 for CCI and the like) and loaded some and shot them today. All of them went bang (you can see one of my groups in another post). The only things I see about them that is different are the edges are not radiused like American primers (more square) and they are slightly (ever so much) larger than American primers. Other than that, they work very well.

I'm glad to know that they work well. I haven't examined any loose ones, but if you look at factory loaded ammo the primer does seem to fill pocket to the point where there is only small ridge rather than a pronounced, rounded one like with American ammo.

The fact that they're on the large size does surprise me, though. As I said, I've found S&B primer pockets to be fairly tight with American primers. I mostly stick to CCI and Federal, but also have Winchesters and Remingtons in my stash.

I mostly use the generic Lee hand priming tool(not the "ergonomic" one) and have had blisters from priming a lot of S&B brass. I have one lot of 357 Mag brass that I gave up on and started ram priming on the press because I was uncomfortable(not just physically) with the amount of force I was putting on the priming tool. That particular lot of 50 ended up getting trimmed to a weird length to use with the Hornady Leverevolution bullets. I gave up on shooting those anyway because they are expensive, need a special seating plug(I spent $3 each on a couple of standard ones from Lee, and turned one down to fit the Leverevolution bullet without crushing the polymer tip) and need special short brass in order to crimp in the cannelure without being too long. At the end of the day, because these bullets are so long and thus reduce powder capacity, I can shoot a 158grh LSWC at higher velocities or a 168gr Keith-type LSWC at comparable velocities.

I haven't used much of their modern commercial ammo, but their military ammo from the 60's through 80's in 7.62x54r (headstamp "bxn") is some of the most consistent and accurate that I've used. Ranks right up there with the specially made Russian Sniper ammo (7N1) in this caliber.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back