Selling ammunition and rifles online, things to watch out for.

I'm cleaning up my firearms and it turns out I have ammunition and guns that I no longer need. I have never sold these things and GunBroker.com seems like a legit and low cost place to sell them.

( 1 ) I will not have any reputation feedback, do you think I will have issues selling?
( 2 ) How can I differentiate myself?

The prices seem to be all over the place - for example, the same vendor for the same item has multiple listings all with different prices. Kinda looks like strange business practice and I'm trying to figure out the reason behind it. I will not undercut the others on the website, there is ever a good reason to undercut the market unless you are a big shot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gunbroker.com is Legit, they have high selling fees so many dealers won't use them anymore... One other option to consider is to have a Licensed FFL Dealer near you sell them on consignment for you. I know that is not for everyone but it takes most of the hassle/risk out of the endeavor for you. The dealer can use his reputation/feedback and handle all of the paperwork/shipping (Shipping for much cheaper than a non FFL) and he can check the guns into and out of his Logbook taking you out of the chain of liability if the gun was used in a crime in the future as the dealer would only ship it to another licensed dealer where a Federal Background Check would be performed on the buyer..

The dealer can also take Credit Cards for payment to make it easier on the buyer unlike many private sellers...

ALL -

Be aware that BITOG has a strict policy against the sale or solicitation of firearms, ammo, etc here on this site.

This thread may continue as long as the discussion centers around the use/advice regarding other legit gun sale sites.

Last edited:
If you go to gun shows you might find an ammunition dealer who will buy them. I did this once with some obsolete ammo.

I'm cleaning up my firearms and it turns out I have ammunition and guns that I no longer need. I have never sold these things and GunBroker.com seems like a legit and low cost place to sell them.

( 1 ) I will not have any reputation feedback, do you think I will have issues selling?

The prices seem to be all over the place - for example, the same vendor for the same item has multiple listings all with different prices. Kinda looks like strange business practice and I'm trying to figure out the reason behind it. I will not undercut the others on the website, there is ever a good reason to undercut the market unless you are a big shot. ( 2 ) How can I differentiate myself?
Sit on it till there's another ammo panic. You probably won't have to wait long.
Last ammo panic I was on gun broker getting great money for 12 to 20 year old 22lr loose packed in Ziploc bags. Stuff that would never sell now.
I was getting stupid money for boxes and partial boxes of 223, 9mm, 5.7x28, 357, 38spl, 44spl, 44mag, 30-30, 12ga and 410 buck shot and slugs.
The only things I couldn't really make money or wasn't worth selling on was 22mag and surplus 8mm Mauser.

Last edited:
Sit on it till there's another ammo panic. You probably won't have to wait long.
Last ammo panic I was on gun broker getting great money for 12 to 20 year old 22lr loose packed in Ziploc bags. Stuff that would never sell now.
I was getting stupid money for boxes and partial boxes of 223, 9mm, 5.7x28, 357, 38spl, 44spl, 44mag, 30-30, 12ga and 410 buck shot and slugs.
The only things I couldn't really make money or wasn't worth selling on was 22mag and surplus 8mm Mauser.
How do the payments work on GunBroker? It seems like it's geared more towards shops and dealers and not individual sellers. From what I understand, based on their very confusing FAQ-s, I would need to contract with a credit card processor myself in order for the buyer to be able to pay with a credit card.

How do the payments work on GunBroker? It seems like it's geared more towards shops and dealers and not individual sellers. From what I understand, based on their very confusing FAQ-s, I would need to contract with a credit card processor myself in order for the buyer to be able to pay with a credit card.
They can send you a money order, I would specifically only do USPS. Or you can use their freedom pay instant transfer. Don't use PayPal.

As @Bottom_Feeder suggested, I also recommend seeing if you have a gun sales website that is specific to your state. Here in Utah, we have UtahGunExchange.com. There are no charges to the seller or the buyer. I'm assuming they make their profit from ads. I have both bought and sold on this website and have been very happy with the experiences.

Using a state specific wanted ad site for guns should help you, by reducing the number of ads that you are competing against, at least when compared to national gun sales sites. But to set yourself apart, take and post a generous amount of quality, detailed pictures. This gives people confidence in knowing what they are buying, ahead of the actual transaction.

I don't know what the laws are in your state, for a private sale of a firearm. Utah is what most would refer to as a "free" state, so there is little regulation for private sales. However, many, including myself, will require the buyer to either have a CWL or state issued ID, and sign a bill of sale.

Unless you have a local trader site, I’d suggest the consignment route, it’s simply not worth the risk and too easy to run afoul of local laws. It’s also a hassle shipping even long guns.

Unless it’s a high value rifle or a rare collectible by the time shipping and transfer is factored in you can’t compete with an FFL and not every FFL will accept a shipment from an individual.

There are a lot of private sellers on gun broker.

Take a look, there’s a couple of important parts for private sellers, first of all the receiving FFL must be willing to accept from a private individual, and often that receiving FFL will want drivers license or other form of identification.

Second most private sellers will only accept a postal money order or certified check. You don’t have to worry about credit card processing in that case.

it would help a lot to know what state you’re in. Different states have very different rules.

Most everything I have bought off of GB from private parties I have paid for with USPS money order, and in a few cases a personal check.
Your specific state laws will make a ton of difference in deciding what your best options are but if you sell on GB, it'll have to be FFL to FFL. Be careful selling the ammo as some states require that to go to an FFL as well.

There are a lot of private sellers on gun broker.

Take a look, there’s a couple of important parts for private sellers, first of all the receiving FFL must be willing to accept from a private individual, and often that receiving FFL will want drivers license or other form of identification.

Second most private sellers will only accept a postal money order or certified check. You don’t have to worry about credit card processing in that case.

it would help a lot to know what state you’re in. Different states have very different rules.
Illinois, one of the worst states in the union :(

I would add a word of caution to be careful where you choose to sell on consignment. I had an uncle that had a gun shop as a sideline gig for many years. When he retired in the late 1980's, after closing his own shop, he consigned his personal collection of collectible firearms to a large well known shop in PA. Low retail at the time would have been about $35k. Today those pieces would be 300 to 600% more. That shop closed in the middle of the night, and all of his guns went with the owners. My uncle suffered a total loss.

I had been a collector for many years and also had worked at a high end collectible firearms shop for several years. We did very little consignment because we preferred to purchase, but occasionally we did consign. When you consign a firearm, you sign ownership to the shop. They must enter it their bound book as a possession if it's on the premises overnight. We had one customer that consigned a piece that was worth a great deal. As a very big ticket item it was around for a while. It may have been a 60 or 90 day consignment contract. While the firearm was still there, unsold, the seller was convicted of a crime. Not sure if it was a felony or a first class demeanor that mattered. As such, he was unable to legally regain possession of the consigned piece. You have to pass the PICS or Fed background check to again "own" it. I'm not sure what ever happened with it the long run. I would think that selling it to family member at a token price would be a blatant "straw purchase" and very illegal.

Back