self-propelled push mowers and steep inclines?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
I have a section of my property that is 30-45 degrees so of a slope. I could grade it but I have trees on the lower end that wouldn't want to be covered deep in soil, and I am not interested in messing with the higher flat area.

Not a big deal, its actually pretty good as it keeps my home much higher than the (high) water table and proper with the landscape. No problem.

But pushing the lawn mower up it, or letting it go down, if ever a slip, loss of shoe traction, etc., could cause injury.

Our mower is human propelled. I prefer it that way, less to break, simple, its just fine for me, but I did see a friend got a new "AWD" mower and it seemed pretty slick.

SO Im curious, will self propelled mowers have issues on inclines that are too steep, especially if they have a bag attached? Will this affect the clutch, drive, engine power, etc?

If going up and/or down a steep slope like this, is FWD or RWD (or AWD) preferred?

Its unlikely ill buy one soon, unless I happen on a Honda plastic deck closeout that is super cheap, or something like that... But still want to be aware. More than half the time my wife mows the lawn, as she enjoys it, and Im more concerned with her safety, so its something that I want her to know we can do, but know the limitations and issues myself...

Thanks!

A house I used to own had a really steep backyard. After slipping a couple times I got really concerned my foot could go under the mower. My solution? I bought a cheap pair of baseball cleats to mow in. Worked great!

Last edited:
First suggestion is exactly what was asked in the previous post - is it possible to mow horizontally across the slope? If so, that is the best method to mow a steep slope.

After that, having now owned both a FWD and now a RWD mower, I'd take the RWD mower on a slope any day of the week. It does handle a bit differently turning, but once you get used to it, its just fine.

And as for the simplicity side of things, I can state that none of the self propelled lawnmowers I've owned have had any issues with the drive system - lots of other stuff, but never the drive system itself. Go figure...

Have you tried going across the hill? I used to cut a neighbors similarly sloped hill using his rwd mower, always going across as its harder to mow yourself. No bag though, but it would've made the mower too tippy. No issues with power, only traction. Now I'd be tempted to stud up the rear tires if it was my mower but it might break the drivetrain.
Demo an AWD mower, see if it works for you. I imagine they are a PITA everywhere else but if it does the hill it might be worth just having it for that.
We have a small steep section of hill and I do as much as I can safely with the push mower and then do a careful trim with the weed wacker. In a couple of days it all looks the same.

Rear wheel drive for me, and I have zero experience with an all wheel drive self propelled. I can't mow horizontally because the mower wants to slide sideways down the hill, and it could easily flip over like that. I just start at the bottom, and go to the top, and then back down cutting a new swath while standing off to the side in case I slip. Mower will cut off when I let go of the handle.

We have a similar situation - slope on two of the sections of grassy yard that has 30-40 degree slope.

The old front wheel drive mower was TERRIBLE at getting up the hill, since the front wheels had little weight and always kept slipping. We returned the mower and got a new rear-wheel drive mower. Works great! The bag actually helps weigh down the wheels.

In the last 3 years, what wore out was the drive cable - the cable itself stretched (Lowe's Husqvarna model), so it wouldn't engage the transmission and allowed the belt to slip. Adding a spacer in the cable housing tightened everything up and it seems to be working well again.

I remember a house back in the UK that had a really steep grassed bank. They used a Flymo on a rope to cut it.

I would suggest a 2 cycle powered mower might be a precaution agains starving your moweres lubrication.

I've got several areas with the same type of slopes and my Snapper commercial 21" climbs no problem with it's rear wheel drive system and 10" rear wheels. It's heavy in human propel mode though.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
I use, and recommend a push reel mower for steep slopes. If you can get foot traction they do work and won't stall out like a gas powered mower.
I've never had a problem with my Honda OHC engine stalling. Of course you have to sharpen the blade once a decade.

Yes, I do sometimes mow across the slope. However, the slope does change a bit along the run, so it leaves some spots of differing height.

For whatever reason, I think it looks better when I mow up and down vs side to side.

Beautiful pictures JTK !! Serious eye candy !
20.gif

JHZR2 doesn't know it, but if he had that Snapper, he'd enjoy cutting the grass again.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Beautiful pictures JTK !! Serious eye candy !
20.gif

JHZR2 doesn't know it, but if he had that Snapper, he'd enjoy cutting the grass again.
smile.gif

I love cutting the grass. So does my wife. It's ine of those chores that we both actually desire to do and trade off on.

While I don't care to spend tons of time and chemicals making sure that every last green blade is an identical type of grass, I really do love yard work and gardening.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I have a section of my property that is 30-45 degrees so of a slope.

You will blow your engine up. Barely anything on the market is pressure lubed any more.

That kind of slope should be cut with a 2 stroke or pressure lubed engine. Look for engines by Tecumseh, the rare Robin Subaru and Kawasaki.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I have a section of my property that is 30-45 degrees so of a slope.

You will blow your engine up. Barely anything on the market is pressure lubed any more.

That kind of slope should be cut with a 2 stroke or pressure lubed engine. Look for engines by Tecumseh, the rare Robin Subaru and Kawasaki.

I have never had a problem with that with Briggs. Never stalled or locked up. When I was in high school I used to mow stuff bad enough I would wear my football cleats to stay on the hill.

At our mountain house there is a septic system with a leach field due to the clay soil. All sides are pretty darn steep, and we have been mowing it with a 1986 Ariens mower forever. Not concerned... This isn't industrial duty doing acres at such an incline...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back