Seems that FRAM shifted all their oil filter lines.

CDB

Seems the old XG9972 is now the new Titanium filters which cost way more What are your thoughts on the new XG9972 on the right? I am not really impressed.
IMG20231206114332.jpg
IMG20231206114339.jpg
IMG20231206114603.jpg
IMG20231206114524.jpg

The right one is simply a Champ XL w/Fram name on it. They rate them at 15,000 miles. Does the box say 20k?

Is the one on the right wire backed? Or even spray-on synthetic? Looking like the First Brands race to the bottom continues… Hengst cartridges for me!
No wire and media feels like paper. Nothing like the previous version so I will be returning them. Seems like all of them are going to the shorter smaller media.

Yes says 20k. I looked at Fram's website and the XG9972 is now FS9972 Titanium. The new ones are a tad bit shorter as well.
I'm thinking the Champ XL's might have gotten a synthetic media bump to increase their mileage rating to 20,000 miles from 15k. Interesting.

Well my search will be to check boxes before I buy to get the older versions. May even change brands but I have about seven so I am good for a bit. I like the Wix ones but they tend to be more expensive than the $10. 29 for the XG9972 which I feel is not worth the money on the newer ones.

Wouldn’t synthetic media need to be wire backed? Or at least “sprayed on”?? Looks like neither!
The 15k versions were just like a simple cellulose/synthetic blend media but this newer 20k version looks more "white" in color than the previous "yellowish" media. I've associated "white" to mean more synthetic media but I don't know. I've always been surprised how Champ rated their filters. They were not a premium looking filter but they rated them in mileage like they were LOL.

More like crapflation-not much better than a base Champ or Fram CH9972, for multiples more $.
This new version would be like a Fram CH9972 (10k) & Fram TG9972 (15k) had a baby. Not quite either or & not quite as nice looking like a Tough Guard. But they are rated for higher mileage than these filters (20k). In short it's a downgrade.

Is that new Ultra cartridge media the same as that of new spin-on Ultras? The Ultra 10358 cartridge I bought a few weeks ago has the old wire-backed synthetic media.

Back