Seeking Taco meat recipe

Both freezers are full. Meat prices at the grocery stores are crazy . The babe and I love tacos off of this Hispanic dudes food truck here in town. I have tried all of the different taco meat seasoning packets in the grocery stores but nothing comes close to this dudes genuine texmex tacos.
Please share your tried and true taco meat recipe that is made with ground beef. Thanks in advance!

That's your first mistake using taco seasoning packets
lol.gif
, my mom used simple spices in the meat, nothing fancy and her tacos came out killer, talk to one of your mexican buddies and get some recipes from his mom or grandma.
cheers3.gif

Malo I agree that's why I'm asking.
This guys recipe is frigging awesome. Not anywhere near the taste of the packets.

Now, the Badia Taco Seasoning is only salt and spices. You will find it in the spice section or international spice section. It's nothing like the foil lined packets. There isn't any flour in it.

Last edited:
We batch make sofrito and freeze it in ice cube trays then freezer bag the cubes. Just take however many cubes you need and mix it with browned ground beef. Natural, healthy and clean tasting addition for tacos, beans etc. This recipe is very similar to what we use. We do not add any salt or seasoning etc, but of course that is up to you. Enjoy

SOFRITO

Originally Posted by P10crew
Both freezers are full. Meat prices at the grocery stores are crazy . The babe and I love tacos off of this Hispanic dudes food truck here in town. I have tried all of the different taco meat seasoning packets in the grocery stores but nothing comes close to this dudes genuine texmex tacos.
Please share your tried and true taco meat recipe that is made with ground beef. Thanks in advance!

A basic taco seasoning contains:
Garlic Powder, Onion Powder, Dried Oregano, Cumin Powder, Paprika, Cayenne Pepper, Salt, and Black Pepper

The food truck guy probably has his own secret blend that he likes to use.

So, it's going to be trial and error until you find the right blend and proportions.

what specific tacos are you trying to re create? I eat steak with cilantro and onion on corn.nothing better.Its funny because I always ordered American style well one day they must have brought me the wrong ones it was cilantro and onions and it was amazing.havent eaten American style since.I have also taken 10 women to eat there and they are usually funny about onions I had them try mine then they ordered the same and they all said it was amazing.i don't think they even season the meat where I go put you could add a little steak seasoning regular or spicy not too much and it would be awesome.

Originally Posted by UG_Passat
Originally Posted by P10crew

A basic taco seasoning contains:
Garlic Powder, Onion Powder, Dried Oregano, Cumin Powder, Paprika, Cayenne Pepper, Salt, and Black Pepper

The food truck guy probably has his own secret blend that he likes to use.

So, it's going to be trial and error until you find the right blend and proportions.

This is pretty much spot on. I only make my own seasoning, but I don't have any measurements unfortunately. I usually just go by taste. I like a spicier taco meat, so I go a little heavy on the cayenne pepper.

I think the key is to try to identify what aspect of the flavor is what you like. Is it the salt? The cumin? the spice? garlic?

Then bias your mix to that.

I have used old el paso in the past and like that, and also have a thing of McCormick Original Taco seasoning from Costco. Its good if you go heavy - has a lot of dried onion in it which I like.

I typically make my own... Saute the meat and then ill add some tomato paste and spice it up with garlic/onion/cumin/salt/cayenne and then also smoked paprika, chipotle powder and mexican oregano. Will add a touch of acidity with vinegar or various hot sauces. Just depends on my tastes that day. I just dump in as I see fit, adjust as needed.

start browning one pound hamburger meat, ground my own fresh, as much as possible. add teaspoon salt, half teaspoon black ground pepper(white or red works too), & quarter teaspoon cumin.

in separate small sauce pan i start heating on med to high heat, half cup chicken broth and half cup water, to this i add:
1 small tomato quartered, 1/4 to half bell pepper(green,red,yellow), 1/4 onion white, a couple cloves garlic(if no fresh at home then add the garlic powder above)

once veggies all nice and soft, i add to the above already browned and seasoned meat.

Re season this hb and veggies mixture lightly and let simmer until the liquid just about all evaporates shut off heat add about a 1/4 to half can of hunts tomato sauce.

Mix all up and Make tacos.
you can add heat(chile) as your palate permits.

Last edited:
First, the meat. I use either course grinds, 80/20 chuck ground to pencil thick strands, or Laura's :Lean Ground Beef, 93% lean (yellow tab).

Put on cutting board, cut like a loaf of bread, 1/4 to 1/2 inch slices.

Put in lightly greased pan, put in 1/4 teaspoon steak seasoning, add 2-3 tablespoons water. The leaner the meat, the more water.
Turn on heat to medium low, put on a tight lid, let steam for around 10 minutes, until pink is just gone. You do not want to fry the meat, you want to slow cook with steam.
Stir occasionally, but watch the steam when you remove the lid...

Put a tablespoon of oil into a pan, turn to medium high. Oil is hot enough when a drop of water dances in the pan, Too hot it will start smoking,
Wash your cutting board.
Next, get a bag of Three Pepper Blend. Wash in colander, then chop into 1/2 inch or so pieces. Put in oil, cook 3 minutes until onion is translucent.

Add Three Pepper Blend to cooked beef.
Add Mrs Dash Taco mix,
Add 1/4 to a tablespoon Mrs Dash Spicy blend (can be very spicy, use with care)
And 2 drops to 1/4 teaspoon Tabasco Chipotle sauce,
Add half to tablespoon dried onion,
and 1-2 tablespoons water, There should be 1/4 cup of sauce in the bottom of the pan...
Cook 5 minutes, medium low, .

Serve with toppings on taco shell of your choice...

Note- If serving a big crowd, add 1 cup diced potatoes to cut costs...

Back