Seeking GL4 85-140 gear oil

I have brass in my diff, so seeking a conventional 85/140 gear oil. Any suggestions? All I can seem to find at all my local stores is GL5

I don't know if this helps, or what vehicle application, but Autozone is clearancing out Chevron 85W140 for $1 per qt.

Attachments

• Resized_20210509_210320_96227940467595.jpeg
    Resized_20210509_210320_96227940467595.jpeg
    344.5 KB · Views: 36
usually modern gear oil is buffered so it wont affect it just stay away from lucas and some others.. use a name brand.
IIRC there was an amsoil test awhile back compared corrosion results of gear oil.

What application is this? Most diff's require GL-5 level protection.

I have brass in my diff, so seeking a conventional 85/140 gear oil. Any suggestions? All I can seem to find at all my local stores is GL5
what does conventional 85/140 have to do with Brass in a axle? the chemistry is what counts not the vis or base oil type.
If you need a GL-4 type oil look to industrial gear oils there are some multi grade but you would maybe be fine with a MP 220 oil.

what does conventional 85/140 have to do with Brass in a axle? the chemistry is what counts not the vis or base oil type.
If you need a GL-4 type oil look to industrial gear oils there are some multi grade but you would maybe be fine with a MP 220 oil.

I mentioned conventional because that’s what I want.

Just curious as to what vehicle this pertains to?
Land Rover discovery. Brass in transfer case. Both diffs and transfer case I normally use same weight. Out of stock. Had a stock pile of gl4 Castrol that was probably 15 years old

usually modern gear oil is buffered so it wont affect it just stay away from lucas and some others.. use a name brand.
IIRC there was an amsoil test awhile back compared corrosion results of gear oil.
This.

Your concern about wear/corrosion of brass or other soft metals doesn't apply to your transfer case or differential. Nearly all GL-5 gear lubricants have been using deactivated / buffered sulfur compounds for the past 25+ years, which do not harm soft metals in the conditions found inside differentials or the transfer case (transmission synchros are another story).

I don't think you're going to find what you're looking for because the 85-140 weight is primarily used for differentials (I'm certainly not aware of any transmissions using it, someone correct me if I'm wrong), and as a GL-5 fluid, most major brands are backward compatible with GL-4 in that application.

But I acknowledge that some people through an abundance of time, money, boredom, etc. enjoy making things more difficult than they need to be-- I wish you luck if you endeavor to find such a unicorn!

If you have a hypoid gear design then you should use a GL-5 rated lubricant. GL-4 is not rated for use in hypoid gear differentials that may exhibit high shock loading.

I do not know what the factory requirement is but you should use what it is rated for regardless of whether it has soft metal or not.

My old VW transmission and differtials require GL4. I bought a 2 gal. jug on Amazon of GL4. easy peezy.
Did you find it in 85W-140 weight? 80W-90 and similar viscosity are readily available as it is commonly used in transmissions, where GL-5 is not backwards compatible.

Land Rover discovery. Brass in transfer case. Both diffs and transfer case I normally use same weight. Out of stock. Had a stock pile of gl4 Castrol that was probably 15 years old
What year. The years I looked up spec'ed gl-5.
gl-4 isnt sufficient for hypoid gearing protection.

gl-4 is fine in transfer case.

This image (quality is horrible but you can make the text out) came from the Land Rover forums, and is the same resource (presumably from Land Rover) I used when I owned my Discovery II. It shows 80W90 GL-5 used in the transfer case and differentials of the series I.

Where are you finding the 85W-140 GL-4 requirement?

Attachments

• DE09C9BE-231F-4D85-9155-23F79E393349.jpeg
    DE09C9BE-231F-4D85-9155-23F79E393349.jpeg
    34.2 KB · Views: 38
  • 0818F116-ED38-4372-AD31-95146D3E35BC.jpeg
    0818F116-ED38-4372-AD31-95146D3E35BC.jpeg
    34.3 KB · Views: 38
This image (quality is horrible but you can make the text out) came from the Land Rover forums, and is the same resource (presumably from Land Rover) I used when I owned my Discovery II. It shows 80W90 GL-5 used in the transfer case and differentials of the series I.

Where are you finding the 85W-140 GL-4 requirement?
redline and amsoil parts lookup both show gl-5 too.

I'm 100% not seeing that can you post a source? owners manual etc?

My manual states 90EP.

Doing a google search, you will see a 50/50 split of people in the US saying new GL-5 would be fine, and the other half not wanting to risk it due to yellow metals. If you search on UK based forums they are very keen on staying with GL-4 in the stock weight.

I ended up just ordering the stalube gl-4 from amazon. Was hoping there would be something that’s easy to find, and local. Oh well!

Side note: I ran the heavier oil due to lots of off-road, and it doesn’t leak. Synthetic in factory spec seeped. Obviously I should probably replace gaskets at some point :)

Back