sedan recommendations

Negative, not in North America.
The Camry V/6 is a semi-hot-rod (5.7 sec 0-60) but it is going to be out of your price range. The Camry's 2.5L 4cyl has more power than you might think, 203 hp, which is about what v6 engines were getting only a few years ago. This will be a noticeable improvement over the 175 hp in the Fusion. 0-60 of 8.9 sec on the 2020 Fusion 2.5L verses 7.6 sec on the 2021 Camry 2.5L (verses 7.1 sec on the 2018 Taurus 3.5L).

oops! That's because I made a typo sorry :eek: :oops:

Yes, I meant to say the Camry is still sold *without a turbo. I edited my original reply :censored: :cautious:

there was just some talk in some other bitog topics of mazda being an under rated car and making tops in comsumer reports
may want to check it out

there was just some talk in some other bitog topics of mazda being an under rated car and making tops in comsumer reports
may want to check it out
The Mazda 6 is an excellent mid-size sport sedan. A nice appearing, feeling, and driving car. The problem with the Mazda 6 is that it is going away, this is it's last year.

Accord Hybrid :)
I'm going to second this suggestion. The Accord Hybrid is among the best new cars one can purchase today. It's reasonably priced, efficient, plenty fast (some tests have it in the 6 second range 0-60) and it drives wonderfully.

I get to rent sedans all the time. 2 favorites:

1) Accord Hybrid
2) Chevy Impala V6

Both drive very well. The Chevy is nice because it's fast and I find the interior quite nice in higher trims. The Honda is a better driving car, smoother, more refined and gets twice the MPG. The Accord is port injection, conventional in every way except the hybrid drive. Which has no transmission at all. Engine drives generator, motor drives wheels. Engine connects directly to wheels at higher speeds via a clutch, to reduce losses. Think of it as having the engine clutch directly to the wheels anytime a normal 5th gear could be used.

Bottom line, the Accord Hybrid EX-L (leather) is the best choice in the Accord Hybrid lineup.

The Mazda 6 is an excellent mid-size sport sedan. A nice appearing, feeling, and driving car. The problem with the Mazda 6 is that it is going away, this is it's last year.
That carbon Mazda6 looks pretty sweet.

You should test drive a Kia K5. Nice looking and handling machine with available AWD. AWD is standard in Canada.

You should test drive a Kia K5. Nice looking and handling machine with available AWD. AWD is standard in Canada.
DI turbo; violates my initial conditions in my OP

My first preference would be a n/a port injection v-6; can't find those new any more. (Toyota is close with the dual injection system, but PRICEY.)
Next up would be any n/a v-6 with direct injection, but not turbo. (Nissan has some, but I'm not a CVT fan)
Last choice would be a n/a DI 4-cyl; probably very reliable but wanted a bit more power. (Mazda 6 was in my mind here)

Unwanted choices would be DI with turbo; as much as the power would be nice, I just don't want the headaches associated with the carbon build up, extra plumbing to the turbo, etc. I tend to keep my vehicles around 250k miles or more, and do my own maintenance work. I'm simply leary of the long term implications of the DI/turbo combos; they are a legit concern.

As I said in my initial post ... I think I'm screwed. I waited too long; should have bought something a few years back, before DI/turbo became so mainstream. Couldn't afford it back then; two kids in college. Now that they're gone, I've got some money freed up, but now no choices that excite me.

Im biased (because I bought one last June), but the Toyota Avalon’s from 2014-2018 have the V6 WITHOUT Direct Injection. And that 3.5 V6 is probably one of the best engines I’ve owned...no oil loss, excellent fuel economy, excellent power and performance, super smooth. I love it. And the Avalon’s are an absolute bargain on the used car market (because they’re known as a grandpa car, yet grandpa’s don’t want them anymore because they ride too sporty, look too sporty and Toyota tried to pick up the younger crowd, and failed).

I also love the new Camry’s. I just can’t get over how GOOD these things look. And to hear that they have port and direct injection, is a major plus. I’ve owned Lexus’s with both systems together and they have worked flawlessly. Scared at first to have two systems, but I never had a problem.

Like the new Honda Accords, but all I keep hearing about Honda is how they’ve dropped in quality/reliability...oil consumption, tranny issues. Not sure if that’s true, but when you hear it? It makes you wonder.

I didn't read every reply but, what size class of sedan are you looking for?
Even though we're becoming an SUV buying public, there are still so many really good sedan choice in all size categories.

When I choose my vehicle, I do a lot of test driving because I have a criteria, such as:
* Outward vision/360 deg view
* Seat comfort(for my body structure. But, not just for the driver but the passengers too
* Ingress/egress
* Quiet interior on the hiwy(most are quiet in slow & go/'round town driving)
* Good & absorbent riding over broken pavement
* Do you want sportiness or overall comfort(or in between). Hard to describe "in between" as it is subjective.

I didn't read every reply but, what size class of sedan are you looking for?
Even though we're becoming an SUV buying public, there are still so many really good sedan choice in all size categories.

When I choose my vehicle, I do a lot of test driving because I have a criteria, such as:
* Outward vision/360 deg view
* Seat comfort(for my body structure. But, not just for the driver but the passengers too
* Ingress/egress
* Quiet interior on the hiwy(most are quiet in slow & go/'round town driving)
* Good & absorbent riding over broken pavement
* Do you want sportiness or overall comfort(or in between). Hard to describe "in between" as it is subjective.
All these are valid purchasing criteria, but let's first come up with a list of new sedans for under $30K with powerful non-DI non-turbo engines and no CVT. :)

All these are valid purchasing criteria, but let's first come up with a list of new sedans for under $30K with powerful non-DI non-turbo engines and no CVT. :)
As far as the availability of new 2021 mid/full size family sedans with a V6 engine for under $30k is concerned... zero.
As far as the availability of new 2021 mid/full size non-hybrid family sedans without turbocharging and/or DI for under $30k is concerned... zero.
As far as the availability of any new 2021 mid/full size family sedan that comes reasonably close to the OP's requirements is concerned... one, the Camry 2.5L. It also has the highest horsepower rating of ANY non-hybrid mid/full size family sedan with a NA engine for under $30k. Considering the fact that the OP doesn't like CVT automatics, another plus for the Camry is the gear-type automatic. I know that the OP would prefer to have a V6, but there simply isn't anything available new with a V6 in his price range any longer.
Without specifically saying so, it appears that the OP doesn't like Toyota products for some reason. I urge him to reconsider, especially in view of the fact that he likes to keep his vehicles for over 250K miles. Toyota products are well known for lasting this long (and longer) with few if any major issues if they aren't abused or neglected.

Last edited:
I have no objection to Toyota; I had owned a couple of Tundras way back in the day.

I like the v-6 Avalon, except for the price. I like the 2.5L Camry, and that might end up where I land; but still not cheap.
I was just asking for options, and I guess to some degree I was complaining about how little the market has to offer me now.
A nice mid-to-large size sedan with a n/a v-6 is pretty hard to come by these days; almost an oddity. It wasn't that long ago that they were the norm, but DI/turbos have taken over a large portion of the market.

Something else I didn't mention (and I realize that sometimes a compromise is inevitable) is that I prefer either cloth seats, or if they are leather they absolutely must have the "cooled" air feature. (I hate sitting on hot leather; big guys like me perspire a lot on a long trip). So cloth seats are typically found on the bargain line of the car models, and leather is featured in most of upper level stuff. To get cooled leather seats, it's pretty much always going to be the top-o-the-line model in any car I choose.

I might start looking to see if I can find a decent one-owner low-mileage Avalon only a few years old.

Yes - I am searching for a unicorn and realizing they pretty much went extinct.

Last edited:
Back