sedan recommendations

dnewton3

Staff member
We are considering replacing one of our family fleet with a new (or nearly new) car. Want a sedan; don't need or want an SUV and already have a truck.

I'm trying to find choices that are moderate in pricing (below $30K) and have either 4 or 6 cyl engines that are not DI with turbo. Looking for port-injection naturally aspirated first off, or would consider DI if it's naturally aspirated. Prefer to not have something European.

Am I just out of luck at this point? Seems like pretty much everything is moving to DI with a turbo.

Elantra or the Forte. The Elantra is made in the USA or Korea while the Kia is made in Mexico and not as reliable if Consumers Reports means anything.

Toyota models are gonna be your best bet, something like a corolla or Camry would be under 30k, possibly a preowned Avalon if you find the right deal.

base model civics has a 2.0 with no turbo, but that DI.

i have a 9th gen accord with the 2.4 and its been a wonderful car, i know the v6 version is port injected with no turbo, the 4 cylinder is DI.

The Toyota Corolla still has port injection on the 1.8L (but has a CVT automatic). The Toyota Camry (and 2.0L Corolla) has the D-4S dual-injection system that has both port and direct injection on both the 4cyl and V6 (as well as a gear-type automatic transmission). The dual injection systems offer the advantages of both direct injection and port injection with few of the drawbacks of either. Several other manufacturers have adopted this technology but all of them that I am aware of have turbochargers (Ford EcoBoosts for example). The 2020 Ford Fusion has port injection on the 2.5L if you can find one.

Last edited:
We already have a Fusion with 2.5L; great car but a bit of a slug engine wise. Runs fine, just wanted a bit more power. It's the wife's car and she's happy with it, so it's staying in the fleet.

I've got a 2018 Taurus I'm considering selling to my son; his car was just totaled in a wreck and so as a favor to him, I'd like to sell him my car cheap. That leaves me needing a car. TBH I've been out of the car shopping market for a few years and didn't realize how Turbo DI has just overtaken most all the market. Clearly, I'm just an old guy out of touch with today's cars.

We already have a Fusion with 2.5L; great car but a bit of a slug engine wise. Runs fine, just wanted a bit more power. It's the wife's car and she's happy with it, so it's staying in the fleet.

I've got a 2018 Taurus I'm considering selling to my son; his car was just totaled in a wreck and so as a favor to him, I'd like to sell him my car cheap. That leaves me needing a car. TBH I've been out of the car shopping market for a few years and didn't realize how Turbo DI has just overtaken most all the market. Clearly, I'm just an old guy out of touch with today's cars.
Well I used to have a Taurus although that was a 2001. Went to a Mercedes E-350. I would recommend the 2016 E-350 if you weren't against European cars. Last year of the W212 so most reliable of the year although even the earlier 2014-2015 models were actually pretty good. Direct injection is pretty much standard these days but at least the E-350 still had a regular V6 and at 302hp has decent power. That year also saw Apple Carplay and Android auto availability and then you don't have to worry about 2017+ which went with 4 cylinder turbos. They were probably under 30k at some point, probably still are, luxury used car prices haven't gone up as much as other cars. You also get way more toys than I ever had on the Taurus.

The Camry is also still sold with a turbo
Negative, not in North America.
The Camry V/6 is a semi-hot-rod (5.7 sec 0-60) but it is going to be out of your price range. The Camry's 2.5L 4cyl has more power than you might think, 203 hp, which is about what v6 engines were getting only a few years ago. This will be a noticeable improvement over the 175 hp in the Fusion. 0-60 of 8.9 sec on the 2020 Fusion 2.5L verses 7.6 sec on the 2021 Camry 2.5L (verses 7.1 sec on the 2018 Taurus 3.5L).

Last edited:
Reactions: FZ1
I would test drive a Tesla Model 3; if you like it, perhaps a clean used 2018 might be doable.
Otherwise, the sedans in that price range I like are Accord, Camry, Altima and Mazda...
Or maybe check out a Lexus ES? Or an older GS (great cars!).
Good luck.

Back