Seafoam Piston Soak Method - (how to) ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have done a Seafoam treatment before, using the vacuum line method.
This time I'd like to do a piston soak method where you drop a little seafoam thru the sparkplug holes into the bores.

But I am not quite clear about the instructions. How much seafoam ? How long should it sit ?
Startup/Fireup procedure ?
Could anyone please run down the instructions or let me know where to find 'em ?
Thanks!

Hi Mola, thanks for your reply.
My intention of using seafoam was to remove carbon deposits that would have accumulated over the years/miles. Would you please suggest an alternative for that ?
Although I do intend to use fuel additives like Redline SI-1 (SI-2) or Regane 2-3 times a year or something to keep it clean, and have been more particular about the quality of fuel and oil going in, I have started to do that only since the last year or two so I am not completely confident of the condition of the chambers inside. I don't really have any driveability or fuel economy issues right now either. Just trying to be proactive.

Thanks!

Auto-RX for the ring pack-best there is on the market
ring pack cleaning is more important to long engine life than combustion chamber cleaning

50% mix LC and FP for piston soak... 2>3 oz in vertical engine, 3>5 oz for V engine

follow up with water mist injection...1/8" tube in thru throttle body hole at 2k rpm, 1 quart into hot engine
Rolls Royce ruled the air over the Battle for Britain with water injection cleaning of lead deposits in the Merlin and Griffin engines. Germans came in their Focke Wolfe 190s all carboned and leaded up, no performance

How many different ways can we think of using a product?

Heres my recommendation for Seafoam. Go to the gas station, dump a can or 2 into the tank, fill it up with super, and drive.

Carbon is a normal byproduct of combustion. This is why quality fuel and/or regular FI additives should be used.
Quality fuel=top tier
FI cleaners = 4 times a year, rotate among brands

If there is excessive carbon buildup in your engine, you have a tuning issue or driving style that needs addressing.

Seafoam is also advertised as an upper cylinder lube.

Water injection rules for decarboning. You can't beat steam!

Just did a piston soak with some Berryman's Chemtool a far superior product to Seafoam. Had a car that wouldnt start. not enough compression due to carbon buildup on the valves. bought a can and split it evenly into the 6 cylinders. put the plugs back in and let it soak for about 4 hours. I was too lazy to siphon in out, so I pulled the plugs and quick cranked it 2 times to drive the liquid out (looked like boiled ash). put the plugs back in and car was running on first crank.

offtopic.gif

Quote:

Auto-RX for the ring pack-best there is on the market
ring pack cleaning is more important to long engine life than combustion chamber cleaning

50% mix LC and FP for piston soak... 2>3 oz in vertical engine, 3>5 oz for V engine

follow up with water mist injection...1/8" tube in thru throttle body hole at 2k rpm, 1 quart into hot engine
Rolls Royce ruled the air over the Battle for Britain with water injection cleaning of lead deposits in the Merlin and Griffin engines. Germans came in their Focke Wolfe 190s all carboned and leaded up, no performance

If I am not mistaken, the Fw 190 ('D' for sure, not positive about the 'A' model) used MW-50 which is a 50% mix of water & methanol. FYI.

John.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back