Seafoam - It worked for me! (Pics inside!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 89 Sedan with 60k miles. When I bought it, it was obvious that the previous owner (old woman) didn't keep up with maintainence. The coolant was brown, and the inside of the engine wasn't very clean, I'm guessing she didn't keep up with proper oil change intervals. Anyway, I went out and bought some Seafoam. (Yes, it is a magical engine cleaner)

I pour 1/3 of the can into my brake booster. The car chugs and wants to stall out at times.
 -

I shut the car off after it was done drinking, and started her up 10 minutes later. Look at the smoke!
 -

1/3 of the can in the crankcase...
 -

And the rest in the gas tank.
 -

After the idle started to smooth out, I noticed that the car idled a lot smoother, drove smoother, and it wasn't as loud... I haven't even changed the plugs/cap/rotor and wires yet! I didn't believe it, but now I do. Seafoam is a magical engine cleaner! Well, my honda is happier anyway. :thumbup:

I would recommend the next 2 oil changes at a more frequent interval than normal....to remove any "stuff" that may be in the oil system.
And....enjoy your car!!!

Holy cow! Look at the crap that came out of the exhaust pipe! If a cat were to get clogged with stuff like that, would it ever burn the stuff out and breath free again?

quote:

Originally posted by Palut:
Holy cow! Look at the crap that came out of the exhaust pipe! If a cat were to get clogged with stuff like that, would it ever burn the stuff out and breath free again?

Yeah, mine just tosses a big hairball on the carpet and goes about it's business like nothing happened.

if you put diesel or atf or gc or even vegestable oil in an engine like that it would have the same smoke and you would say "its working" too.

I could not find a funnel with a tip small enough to fit the brake vacume hose. I had to find a sqirt bottle (2 oz size) and refilled it couple times. It is interesting to see using paper as a funnel. How come I did not think of that?

A part of the reason Seafoam "seems" to work is that it has volatile solvents in it....when they are absorbed by the carbon and other surfaces in the intake tract...they richen the mixture for awhile and make the car run smoother.

Not saying that Seafoam doesn't clean...but this is part of the reason it runs better right after it's put into the intake.

quote:

Originally posted by sifan:
I could not find a funnel with a tip small enough to fit the brake vacume hose. I had to find a sqirt bottle (2 oz size) and refilled it couple times. It is interesting to see using paper as a funnel. How come I did not think of that?

I used paper funnel but for ATF. I can't find a good ATF funnel (small, long tip) so I find some magazine cover and make a funnel.

Magazine cover or any paper that has a plastic (?) coating work the best!

I'm with Pablo. Maybe use it as a flush, but don't drive with it.

I would change oil ASAP. How thin is the oil and what was starting oil's viscosity?

try finding a funnel called a "spillsaver". it's design is one of the most ingenious i've seen although it's just a simple funnel. it will work for gas additives and will fit in the transmission dipstick tube also.

Until I found this board, for many years I have been driving with seafoam in the crankcase. This was on the advice of my mechanic. Used it in many cars for many years, without a problem or leak. Now I have found better products such as auto-rx or LC. Seafoam has been around for decades! It's kind of old school. I still use it as a intake cleaner.

My friend was de-carbonizing his 99 Cadillac SLS with the SeaFoam Deep Creep. The Northstar engine is notorious for carboning up and needing this procedure. Anyway, he steadily used two spray cans while idling and revving the engine in the driveway. The exhaust smoke was SO profuse, two trucks from the fire dept arrived in a panic!! They weren't very happy to find the situation, or lack of a situation for that matter. LOL

Seafoam is awesome as a decarbon treatment. Have completely fogged entire neighborhoods with Seafoam. I too have seen quick fire dept. reaction times.

I think that it is too thin to add to oil for continuous use. Although I wouldn't hesitate using it as a 5-10 minute cold engine oil flush.

quote:

Originally posted by sifan:

Lol...

You all think German Castrol 0w30 would be a good choice when I decide to change oil?

quote:

Originally posted by DSteven:
They weren't very happy to find the situation, or lack of a situation for that matter. LOL

Had a building or car actually been on fire, they would have been happy to perform services.
I have seafoamed a few cars over the years and I always found it embarassing to go drive around afterwards. Makes my car look like a giant POS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back