Seafoam in the Crankcase - How Long?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have family member with newly acquired 1990 Volvo V70 with 85K miles. Car is in good shape, but there is very heavy varnish and sludge on the oil fill cap and fill cap port. Needs Seafoam treatment in my opinion. Oil and filter on it now are at least 5K miles old. Question - in a case like this where there maybe lots of buildup in the engine, how long would people recommend running a full does of Seafoam in the crankcase? I'm thinking 300 miles to get things washed out good, but not much longer than that.

I not not use it at all. Safer to use PP and let it do its job over time. 46% of sludge removed after first oil change; what more do you want?

I not not use it at all. Safer to use PP and let it do its job over time. 46% of sludge removed after first oil change; what more do you want?

I have to say bull malarky,, I think PP cleans better since it has more additives but 46%, hmmm I used PU and havent seen it in my engine although I am only about 20% into the run.

Sine you don't now know bad it is, try MMO instead.

Substitute up to 20% of the oil. MMO cleans great but still has lubrication properties. Run it the entire 5K.

Originally Posted By: tom slick
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Never - Why put acetone and IsoPropyl in oil? Alcohol is not good in your crankcase!

Where is the acetone in their recipe?
Seafoam msds lists: naphtha/IPA/paleoil

Originally Posted By: sunfire
Alcohol would just burn off just like gas and water in the motor oil.
Chemistry involved here. Causes acid formation and sludge precursors and sludge due to heavy detergent reaction. IPA is not as bad as Methyl or Ethyl alcohol. Running E85 is an oil killer - Prob stick to 3K /2 Mo OCI.

Last edited:
Quote:"Seafoam msds lists: naphtha/IPA/paleoil."

Which is solvent, Isopropyl Alcohol and cutting oil.

I would only put that in gas.

Originally Posted By: tom slick
Never - Why put acetone and IsoPropyl in oil? Alcohol is not good in your crankcase!

Where is the acetone in their recipe?
Seafoam msds lists: naphtha/IPA/paleoil

naptha isn't acetone, IPA isn't acetone, and pale oil isn't acetone. Where is the acetone? Am I missing something?

I don't care what Seafoam has in it but don't want misinformation spread or myself giving misinformation in future posts.

Seafoam is Naptha and Stoddard solvent/white spirits [paint thinner].
It has a real low flash point.
Try the MMO method first.
A bit slower but safer and effective.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BBDartCA
Have family member with newly acquired 1990 Volvo V70 with 85K miles. Car is in good shape, but there is very heavy varnish and sludge on the oil fill cap and fill cap port. Needs Seafoam treatment in my opinion. Oil and filter on it now are at least 5K miles old. Question - in a case like this where there maybe lots of buildup in the engine, how long would people recommend running a full does of Seafoam in the crankcase? I'm thinking 300 miles to get things washed out good, but not much longer than that.

I have used Seafoam in these types of situations many times over the years. I suggest you limit it to 50-100 miles. Change the oil then run it out and then 50-100 miles before it is due to be changed do another treatment. If it is really bad and you run the Seafoam too long it can dissolve too much for the filter to handle. Better to just do it in easy stages over 2-3 OC's. You could even grab some really cheap oil & filters( Supertech dino oil & filters at Wal-Mart for example )and just do 1-2 OC's with Seafoam for 50-100 miles and then change it before going to your oil of choice on normal OCI's.

JMO. And please ignore those who try and tell you it is not safe for the engine. This stuff has been around forever and there is nothing but positive reviews on it out there for the most part. I have seen a few bad experiences where it fouled plugs( and maybe set off a SEL )or backfired and cracked a composit manifold when used in the gas or through a vacumum line but I have never seen a bad review on it in the crankcase where it caused damage.

My only concern would be that it does it's job and cleans too well for you and ends up loading up the filter or even blocking the pickup screen with "gunk". That is why I say in an unknown situation to play it safe. I think 300 miles is too much for your 1st use in this vehicle with an unknown maitnenace history and visible signs of neglect. JMO.

Last edited:
Please show me where the use of Seafoam has caused anyone to experience gasket or seal failure? Something other than this or that chemical in it will cause it. Some tangible proof it actually has please.

Prove to me it hasn't.

I am not going to say that people haven't used it with no problems, because I know they have. Putting a pint of that in 5 or six quarts of oil is a low enough concentration since it could be no more than 4 ounces at the ratio they list on the MSDS, that it in most cases would be fine.

You cannot convince me though that adding a quart of kerosene wouldn't be cheaper and more likely to do more cleaning than 4 oz of Naptha, more safely. I have done it too many times in too many engines without fail.

I would have no problem using Seafoam in gas, I have used it. I prefer B-12 Chemtool mixed 50/50 with MMO for that.

Originally Posted By: sunfire
Alcohol would just burn off just like gas and water in the motor oil.

Maybe, but in the mean time it does no lubricating and what does that tell you?

Originally Posted By: brsmith
Prove to me it hasn't.

I am not going to say that people haven't used it with no problems, because I know they have. Putting a pint of that in 5 or six quarts of oil is a low enough concentration since it could be no more than 4 ounces at the ratio they list on the MSDS, that it in most cases would be fine.

You cannot convince me though that adding a quart of kerosene wouldn't be cheaper and more likely to do more cleaning than 4 oz of Naptha, more safely. I have done it too many times in too many engines without fail.

I would have no problem using Seafoam in gas, I have used it. I prefer B-12 Chemtool mixed 50/50 with MMO for that.

Obviously I can't provide 100% proof it has "never" been involved with some kind of problem when used in the crankcase. I don't know every person who has ever used it. I am sure it has at some point somewhere been used and some type of crankcase issue arose. May not have been the issues you guys claim will arise or even really at fault for the issue but I am sure it has happened.

My greater point is show me where it has caused all these issues you all claim will occur using it? The way some of you post you would think 2 miles down the road the engine will be puking oil and coolant because the gaskets and seals are destroyed. Some of you post as if it is some kind of highly corrosive acid or something. It makes me laugh frankly the lengths some go to to try and scare people away from it.

I can proviode plenty of reviews from those who have used it trouble free and that includes myself. I have shown at least some proof Seafoam works and does no harm when used in the crankcase. I have yet to see one poster on here trashing it or saying it is unsafe provide one single scrap of proof, or anything else, to back that up but some kind of opinion they have based on what makes Seafoam up. People who havn't used it saying it is not safe vs people who have used it with no problems saying it is. It is easy to say who to believe IMO.

I simply am asking the detractors who are so vocal against the product to show me SOMETHING where it actually caused the harm you claim it will. I shouldn't have to prove it won't do any harm although the posts from myself and others who have used it do that. The detractors who haven't used it should have to provide the proof here. Especially since they claim it will do such horrendous things to the engine if used. Show me where it has done so. If it is so bad it clearly would have caused a lot of damage and would be easy to provide evidence just doing a simple internet search.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back