Seafoam in my 17.5HP B&S

Status
Not open for further replies.
^^^^^
Looks like I'm going to have to do this again. This time it lasted a little over 2 years.

It's wise to adjust the valve lash to the loose end of the specification. An old rule of thumb is that "tappy valves are happy valves". You definitely want your valve lash a little loose rather than tight.

Originally Posted By: boraticus
It's wise to adjust the valve lash to the loose end of the specification. An old rule of thumb is that "tappy valves are happy valves". You definitely want your valve lash a little loose rather than tight.

Are you suggesting that the "loose end" spec will help not blowing another head gasket?

Originally Posted By: 97 GTP

Are you suggesting that the "loose end" spec will help not blowing another head gasket?

No. What I'm saying is that if you plan on adjusting the valve lash, adjust it to the loose end of the spectrum. Tight valve lash can impede valve closure. When that happens, gasses cannot be properly compressed within the cylinder. This can cause difficult starting and burned valves.

Valve adjustment has nothing to do with head gasket reliability.

Quote:

Valve adjustment has nothing to do with head gasket reliability

That is my thinking as well, just wanted to make sure you weren't saying something else.

cool, thanks for the knowledge share!

Originally Posted By: daves66nova
Originally Posted By: lexus114
I do it via a vacuum gauge (on sbc`s)
How do you do it this way? I've never heard of this before.

It`s a little messy,but with the engine running just adjust them until you get the max vacuum (via the gauge)pretty simple,and very effective.

Originally Posted By: daves66nova
I do it via a vacuum gauge (on sbc`s)
How do you do it this way? I've never heard of this before.

It`s a little messy,but with the engine running just adjust them until you get the max vacuum (via the gauge)pretty simple,and very effective.

What I forgot to add is,you follow this process for all the valves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back